You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Is it definately the case that Origi would be loaned out should we sign him?

Not ideal if so. Bit of luxury that you tend to be able to afford if you've won the league a few times recently and have a very settled and strong first 11.

Is it definately the case that Origi would be loaned out should we sign him?

Not ideal if so. Bit of luxury that you tend to be able to afford if you've won the league a few times recently and have a very settled and strong first 11.

Negotiating ploy, surely?

Give it up on Sanchez. He ain't coming. I'm sure the club have tried and more to the point so will have Barca. Signs are we are playing hardball over Suarez payment which gives them a headache.

Pissed me off this morning to read the fucking Spuds are trying hijack our deal for Origi.

Is their entire transfer policy built around reading the papers to see who Liverpool are in for then trying to fuck us over ? Fortunately Levy has spunked the Bale money this time and their true potential was self evident last season.They should be fighting it out with West Ham to try and get those Ukrainian nutters to release Konoplankhead or whatever his fucking name was . Spurs annoy the shit of me. 

Lallana just looks worse and worse as a signing every day.

Since we have a lot of money this summer, the first idea would obviously be to try to replace Suarez.  Sanchez is now out, and the rest of the options look, well, let's just be polite and say that they're all a massive dropoff from Suarez.

So fine, we have all this money, let's look to improve the rest of the squad.  We could certainly do with an upgrade at that creative AM position, and we have the money to get someone really special.  We could try to get the kind of player whose creativity would help make up for losing Suarez by providing the likes of Coutinho/Sturridge/Sterling with 4 or 5 goals each more than they scored last season.  And as luck would have it, there are several that would be available for the right price - we could go young and get Draxler, we could go for an established player like Di Maria, we have some options.  We could look at Koke, or maybe go back in for Mkhitaryan, or even make an offer for Pastore to see if we could revive his career.  Firmino, Barkley, even Isco, we have enough money to make any of these happen this summer if we wanted it enough.

Except wait, we just spent 25 million on a "pretty good" Englishman in that position who's obviously not going to sit on the bench, so none of those options really make any sense.  I wonder if Southampton have a returns policy.

Since we have a lot of money this summer, the first idea would obviously be to try to replace Suarez.  Sanchez is now out, and the rest of the options look, well, let's just be polite and say that they're all a massive dropoff from Suarez.

So fine, we have all this money, let's look to improve the rest of the squad.  We could certainly do with an upgrade at that creative AM position, and we have the money to get someone really special.  We could try to get the kind of player whose creativity would help make up for losing Suarez by providing the likes of Coutinho/Sturridge/Sterling with 4 or 5 goals each more than they scored last season.  And as luck would have it, there are several that would be available for the right price - we could go young and get Draxler, we could go for an established player like Di Maria, we have some options.  We could look at Koke, or maybe go back in for Mkhitaryan, or even make an offer for Pastore to see if we could revive his career.  Firmino, Barkley, even Isco, we have enough money to make any of these happen this summer if we wanted it enough.

Except wait, we just spent 25 million on a "pretty good" Englishman in that position who's obviously not going to sit on the bench, so none of those options really make any sense.  I wonder if Southampton have a returns policy.

this is just so much bollocks.  Di Maria is well overrated, and Koke is better than Lallana?  

And who knows who we may be in for?  For all you and I know, we could be in for Barkley, or Isco, or anyone else of the CM player database.  

You are almost certainly not doing yourself any favours if you believe that Lallana was anything but one of Rodgers' prime targets for this window.  Why?  Because he obviously has a vision for how he wants to set up the team.   Let's see how it pans out before you stick the knife in.   

• Upvote 4

Lallana will fit in nicely. W

And as luck would have it, there are several that would be available for the right price - we could go young and get Draxler, we could go for an established player like Di Maria, we have some options.  We could look at Koke, or maybe go back in for Mkhitaryan, or even make an offer for Pastore to see if we could revive his career.  Firmino, Barkley, even Isco, we have enough money to make any of these happen this summer if we wanted it enough.

Really? Isco? Barkley? Draxler? Pastore? Koke? We could make these happen if we wanted to? Not so sure about that, Ne Moe.

I don't really understand why people mention Lallana's nationality in a pejorative sense. He's English, that didn't stop him being one of the best midfielders in the league last year, nor did it give him an advantage. Like all nationality, it's an accident of birth.

The club will have sounded out dozens of players, and those we target will likely be the ones of quality who'd actually be willing to come to us. There's more point pissing and moaning about why the likes of Rakitic and co don't want to force through a move to us for a paltry fee like they would for Barca than the nonsense that we seemingly weren't interested in them.

• Upvote 1

Since we have a lot of money this summer, the first idea would obviously be to try to replace Suarez. Sanchez is now out, and the rest of the options look, well, let's just be polite and say that they're all a massive dropoff from Suarez.

So fine, we have all this money, let's look to improve the rest of the squad. We could certainly do with an upgrade at that creative AM position, and we have the money to get someone really special. We could try to get the kind of player whose creativity would help make up for losing Suarez by providing the likes of Coutinho/Sturridge/Sterling with 4 or 5 goals each more than they scored last season. And as luck would have it, there are several that would be available for the right price - we could go young and get Draxler, we could go for an established player like Di Maria, we have some options. We could look at Koke, or maybe go back in for Mkhitaryan, or even make an offer for Pastore to see if we could revive his career. Firmino, Barkley, even Isco, we have enough money to make any of these happen this summer if we wanted it enough.

Except wait, we just spent 25 million on a "pretty good" Englishman in that position who's obviously not going to sit on the bench, so none of those options really make any sense. I wonder if Southampton have a returns policy.

Fucking hell fella. In May, 23 million might look like the best business the club has ever done. Who knows? You certainly don't before he's kicked a ball!

• Upvote 1

I like Lallana, anybody saying he isn't a good player is a bit thick - but £25m is way too much.  You can say "It isn't your money why do you care" but paying £25m for him, means we have less for other players, but I'm happy with the player (should we sign others).

He's not exactly a player who you'd say will bridge the gap between us and 1st place.  He wouldn't get into City's team, and for £25m I expected more - but he will improve us.

Some of our other targets are straight up shite, Lovren is fucking rubbish.  He's a rubbish player for £10m and he's a rubbish player for £20m, he's no better than what we have.  Origi great young player/talent, but what's the point?  We need somebody now, our focus should be on replacing the 3rd best player on the planet, that's all we should be concentrating on right now.

It's hard to even know who we're interested in, because every cunt and their dog is a transfer expert on twitter nowadays.  I'll reserve judgement for now, but I am getting slightly worried.

• Upvote 2

I don't really understand why people mention Lallana's nationality in a pejorative sense.

I imagine the extra money you pay for English players sticks in the e-craw. Not mine, really. But I think that's why the nationality is mentioned as a pejorative by some.

But, there must be a reason managers pay it.

I don't really understand why people mention Lallana's nationality in a pejorative sense. He's English, that didn't stop him being one of the best midfielders in the league last year, nor did it give him an advantage. Like all nationality, it's an accident of birth.

The club will have sounded out dozens of players, and those we target will likely be the ones of quality who'd actually be willing to come to us. There's more point pissing and moaning about why the likes of Rakitic and co don't want to force through a move to us for a paltry fee like they would for Barca than the nonsense that we seemingly weren't interested in them.

I think it's more to do with highlighting the cause of the relatively inflated price.

I don't mind the signing of Lallana, we overpaid, but he's a good footballer. Di Maria was arguably the best player in La Liga for the second half of last season and Koke is a huge talent. I think both are comfortably better players than Lallana, but I also don't think either of them would move here.

• Upvote 3

Depends on the reasons why, really. It won't be anything specifically against LFC, anyway.

Differing club ambitions, surely. Arsenal aren't selling their best player in this transfer window.

Sanchez presumably isn't blind and saw what happened when Spurs last season did exactly what we are now: selling your only world class player and replacing him with a ragbag of overpriced squad men and alleged prospects.

Not too worried here. The International Cup starts on the 24th, Rodgers will likely want a lot of our business sorted by that point so he knows roughly what side he's putting out. So whatever's going on shouldn't drag out for a lot longer.

Luis should be sold by this weekend, and next week could be when we start finding out about whatever signings we're making with that money. Because we should be looking to move quickly and get a side settled that's played together a few times if we're wanting to do anything like what we did last season.

If nothing's happened by the end of next week then I'll be concerned, but that's surely not going to be the case. (Hopefully we should at least have some decent news about who we're going for.) And we already have Sterling, Sturridge and Coutinho. Those three alone, if they play with confidence and try to do even better than last season, could help us get over the absence of Suarez in a big way, because they can probably all develop a decent bit more and are already great players.

Finally, with the way Rodgers has us playing it might not be worth getting so caught up about needing big individuals. One of our things now is how we are as a team, so we might not need those massive signings so much anyway.

Differing club ambitions, surely. Arsenal aren't selling their best player in this transfer window.

Possibly.

Although Sanchez to Arsenal being done has been around the traps for weeks. Long before Suarez to Barca was mooted.

You might be right, though. And, like you, I'm a bit underwhelmed by our dealings thus far.

I imagine the extra money you pay for English players sticks in the e-craw. Not mine, really. But I think that's why the nationality is mentioned as a pejorative by some.

But, there must be a reason managers pay it.

But then, why not just mention the price? Saying "over-priced Englishman" is like the phrase "old aged pensioner", one term denotes the other.

You pay a premium for any player who's proven in the league, which is why the value is found abroad. But in avoiding the inflated prices there's also the inflated risk that the players don't settle either in the country or with the league.

Soldado was considered a sure thing last summer and some were saying Spurs had spent well and would take a run at the league. We, on the other hand, ended up relying on players to continue their development; they did. As ever, hindsight usually dictates what was the correct course of action.

• Upvote 1

I don't know where the idea comes from that anyone is satisfied with business done in the transfer market to date.  We are all expecting top class signings in this window.  I happen to believe Lallana is one of those, but let's leave that to one side for a minute.  No-one is going to be happy if it turns out we've already finished business.  

Possibly.

Although Sanchez to Arsenal being done has been around the traps for weeks. Long before Suarez to Barca was mooted.

You might be right, though. And, like you, I'm a bit underwhelmed by our dealings thus far.

Possibly.

Who do you fancy then Major?,you didn't rate Mandzukic,I thought he could have done a job with CL experience and all that.

I agree with you entirely, BBN.

Was just offering an explanation.

Soldado was considered a sure thing last summer and some were saying Spurs had spent well and would take a run at the league. We, on the other hand, ended up relying on players to continue their development; they did. As ever, hindsight usually dictates what was the correct course of action.

I agree here, too.