You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Injured for the majority of last season. Scored 5 goals.

Things have really tailed off for him so I'm not sure he is the type of player we should be looking at.

Or maybe now is the right time to get him?

Or maybe now is the right time to get him?

I'm not saying we shouldn't look at him at all, there is certainly merit to. But to target him as somebody who would replace Suarez would be silly, in my opinion. Replacing the best striker in the league (and probably world) with a promising kid whose never been prolific and has been repeatedly injured for the last 18 months? No thanks.

I'd bring him in place of Borini though.

Tony Barrett Published 1 minute ago Liverpool have conceded defeat in the battle to sign Alexis Sánchez, leaving the way clear for Arsenal and Juventus to contest the Chile winger’s signature despite a late bid by AC Milan. Brendan Rodgers had hoped that Sánchez would be a makeweight in the deal that will take Luis Suárez to Barcelona, but the 25-year-old has informed Liverpool that, although he is flattered by their interest, he does not wish to move to Anfield. Sánchez’s representatives are understood to have held discussions with AC Milan officials yesterday, but their client is known to favour Arsenal or Juventus as Barcelona prepare to sell him for a fee of about £32 million. The former Udinese player’s decision to reject Liverpool will not prevent Suárez’s sale from proceeding, with Barcelona already committed to a straight cash deal worth about £75 million, a figure that is in keeping with the buyout clause in the forward’s contract. Liverpool have agreed a payment structure with Barcelona for the transfer and the only hurdle to overcome is Suárez’s medical examination, which is expected to be a formality at the conclusion of the World Cup. Preparations for Suárez’s arrival at the Nou Camp are continuing, although Andoni Zubizarreta, Barcelona’s sporting director, refused to admit publicly that the deal is all but rubber-stamped when questioned about the move yesterday. “We are working towards building the best squad possible before the transfer window shuts and it’s positive that people [from Barcelona] are travelling [to complete deals], but it’s important that we only communicate official deals,” Zubizarreta said. “When we have reached one, we will announce it.” Suárez has already been compared with Hristo Stoichkov, the controversial former Barcelona player, and the Bulgarian has warned Suárez that his reputation will precede him in Spain. “I have read about the transfer,” Stoichkov said. “He seems a really good player to me, one of the best forwards, with the character required to play for the biggest clubs — but the bites are going to be a problem. “He is marked for the rest of his life. To play at Barça with what he has done is a problem. Every opponent and the referees and the press will make his life difficult. He will have to play with provocation and media attention, which will leave him in permanent tension. “I say to Luis Suárez that he should try and fix his problem. I know he has already worked on his aspect, and must keep doing it because at Barça he will have to live under pressure 24 hours a day and, of course, he cannot make that mistake again. Now, despite everything, he must be positive.”

I don't see the benefit of replacing Borini at all right now. There is enough shortage of strikers as it is without selling one. He's got a chance this season, its up to him to prove himself now. He got double figures for Roma 2 years ago, and a call up to the national team as a result. There is clearly talent there, so it's time we saw it.

Well. Borini is a bit shit. I know there's this underlying hope there must be something there but there isn't he's a scratch card the odds of him being worth something are tiny but you play in hope your lucks in. Our luck isn't in at best he will score maybe 5 goals if he plays every minute of the season. Just a waste of time. Even writing this about him seems like I've wasted just too much time thinking about how inconsequential he is, its like discussing if you see the colour red the way I see the colour read whats the point. Why is he even here I can't even remember who signed him what effect was he supposed to have its like having a pet fly. Sell him use the money to buy an ikettle.

Rafa taking Lucas to Napoli apparently on loan, thank fuck for that.

Emre Can tho - during his 1st week at te club he donated 50k to Alder Hey hospital, scored an overhead goal in 1st training, took Carra's number and sent Lucas to Italy. What a fucking guy, think I'll buy the shirt with his name. What a guy..

Why the vitriol? He gives his all every time he plays, Rodgers was pretty reliant on him in his first full season too. No need to be prickish about a pretty good professional who has caused little or no issues for us.

• Upvote 3

Godd strikers are hard to come by these days - Negredo, Soldado, Lukaku, Hulk, Mandzukic, Benzema are probably the best ones that would even think about coming.. But I wouldn't pay more than 20M€ for any of those players.. What happened to that Brazilian forward who was supposed to join Spurs?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Damiao? Moved to Santos, was unfit and slow and generally went down hill. Took the easy life.

Damiao? Moved to Santos, was unfit and slow and generally went down hill. Took the easy life.

There was a good clip with Seedorf in recent weeks giving a tour of Rio - he played for a while with Botafogo - where he said that brilliant young players making it financially and immediately and permanently going off the boil was a huge challenge for Brazilian football. Pato would seem to have taken a simliar route.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

There was a good clip with Seedorf in recent weeks giving a tour of Rio - he played for a while with Botafogo - where he said that brilliant young players making it financially and immediately and permanently going off the boil was a huge challenge for Brazilian football. Pato would seem to have taken a simliar route.

Yeah, it does seem that way. It's like they make it, get the money, then just think 'fuck this'. Probably forced into football as a route into wealth. Adriano seemed to fuck off out of it, too.

Godd strikers are hard to come by these days - Negredo, Soldado, Lukaku, Hulk, Mandzukic, Benzema are probably the best ones that would even think about coming.. But I wouldn't pay more than 20M€ for any of those players.. What happened to that Brazilian forward who was supposed to join Spurs?

In a market where Ross McCormack is moving for £11m you wouldn't pay €20m for Benzema? I don't even rate him that highly but he's obviously top class and most the players on that list would be good value at €20m.

Lukaku could be worth it, but the odds of us having a pair of strikers from Chelsea just seem too small, would be well happy if we could manage it somehow though. If Lallana was worth what we paid for him then Lukaku is almost definitely worth as much. Hope Everton don't manage to get him, but he said he wants to be somewhere where he can win titles so maybe that won't be an issue!

I think Mandzukic is easily worth 20mil too, wherever he ends up he'll probably score quite a bit if he has the service, which is supposed to be Atletico so he should be fine.

edit : wow, Arsenal are apparently after him. They simply cannot be allowed to get both Sanchez and Mandzukic. That's really fucked up, maybe they'll still get neither anyway.

Gerrard, Henderson and Allen as first choice midfielders is not strong enough. I would love to swap Allen for someone better.

Henderson is not really any better than Allen. They're about the same level IMO. Supplemented by lallana, coutinho and Can, we're not too shabby in MF. I'd like to see a real top class ball winner in there, and someone who can replace SG, but we do need to sort the defence out and of course find a top class goal scorer first.