You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Inevitably Suarez is now going to leave. 

It's pretty simple for me. Either Barca pay the full release clause of 80m or they find a way to convince Sanchez to join us and throw in 45m too. 

Did they need to fly into London to be told that?

Really fucked off that Suarez is off. The only thing that would sweeten it is Sanchez in return plus enough cash to buy a player like Markovic and have enough left over for a centre back.

It works both ways, though, doesn't it?

There is now and has always been a "food chain" of clubs, with the bigger preying on the smaller.  The effect might be expanded slightly these days with the globalisation and increased saturation of media meaning it is possible to follow teams from faraway countries now, but it's basically the same concept.

And as one of the largest clubs in the world, we're hardly in a position to complain, are we?  We throw our weight around with clubs like Southampton and cause their players to try to force their way out, just as Southampton does with Burnley and Bristol.  We can't then very well turn around and whinge too loudly when one of the very, very few clubs bigger than us turns around and does it as well.

The real problem is that the players have so much power.  They can and do regularly threaten not to play or to go public with grievances in order to force their way out of a contract they themselves were happy to sign.  However, I can't see any potential solution to this as long as there are multiple leagues in multiple countries for them to join; if it were a situation like the NFL or NBA, where the only alternatives were a massive step down in quality and salary, the league itself might be able to impose some order on it.  As it is, it's a system that benefits Real and Barca most of all, but we're not very far behind that in terms of beneficiaries of a system that allows players to simply up stakes and go wherever they can win trophies and earn a high salary.

I don't have a problem with players having power, and I don't have a problem with a natural food chain.  Players are ultimately going to want to go to bigger clubs to prove themselves and win things.

But why and how have Barca and Real Madrid got so far to the top of this grasping heap?  Fair enough Real Madrid have the early European history backed by the fascist government.  They were nothing throughout the 80s and most of the 90s though. 

Even during the Galacticos era, when they started spunking cash they didn't have this much draw for players from other big teams.

Liverpool is a bigger club historically than Barcelona.  So is Bayern Munich.  So is Juventus.

Yet the best players from these teams now see the two Spanish clubs as the be all and end all of the game.  It's a load of bollocks. 

I don't have a problem with players having power, and I don't have a problem with a natural food chain.  Players are ultimately going to want to go to bigger clubs to prove themselves and win things.

But why and how have Barca and Real Madrid got so far to the top of this grasping heap?  Fair enough Real Madrid have the early European history backed by the fascist government.  They were nothing throughout the 80s and most of the 90s though. 

Even during the Galacticos era, when they started spunking cash they didn't have this much draw for players from other big teams.

Liverpool is a bigger club historically than Barcelona.  So is Bayern Munich.  So is Juventus.

Yet the best players from these teams now see the two Spanish clubs as the be all and end all of the game.  It's a load of bollocks. 

If we want to get that sort of status, our players need to be winning international trophies and Ballon D'ors. 

The real problem is that the players have so much power.  They can and do regularly threaten not to play or to go public with grievances in order to force their way out of a contract they themselves were happy to sign.  However, I can't see any potential solution to this as long as there are multiple leagues in multiple countries for them to join; if it were a situation like the NFL or NBA, where the only alternatives were a massive step down in quality and salary, the league itself might be able to impose some order on it.  As it is, it's a system that benefits Real and Barca most of all, but we're not very far behind that in terms of beneficiaries of a system that allows players to simply up stakes and go wherever they can win trophies and earn a high salary.

I liked your post but I don't agree that players having power is an issue. I wouldn't like to be tied to a company for 4 - or however -  years if I wasn't happy. There are personal and professional elements to football whereby players aren't merely chattels

I agree that the sense of entitlement those two clubs exhibit in the transfer market can be nauseating, but Real Madrid picked up five straight La Liga titles in the 1980s, in addition to winning the UEFA Cup in 1985 and 1986.

That was the team of Butragueno and Hugo Sanchez, and I remember being excited watching grainy highlights of them on Sgorio on S4C at the time. If they were a big deal to a little kid growing up in Chester, you can imagine their status in Latin nations.

You could say they failed in Europe compared to their club's past glories, but we failed in Europe relentlessly during the 1990s and that hardly stopped us viewing ourselves as a big club.

• Upvote 1

Barca and Real have grown so powerful because of the TV deal in Spain. If the same sort of split of cash applied in this country we'd have been picking up tens of millions extra every year since Sky invented football.

Barca and Real have grown so powerful because of the TV deal in Spain. If the same sort of split of cash applied in this country we'd have been picking up tens of millions extra every year since Sky invented football.

There's more to it than that otherwise the Italians, who have the same kind of deal, would still be dominating.

I would like us to do what we did last summer, and say fuck you everyone, he's going nowhere. Looks like he has some kind of leverage this time, as the club have said the square root of fuck all.

• Upvote 1

There's more to it than that otherwise the Italians, who have the same kind of deal, would still be dominating.

Not really. Barca and Real get most of the money to split between them, and everyone else gets the scraps.

I would like us to do what we did last summer, and say fuck you everyone, he's going nowhere. Looks like he has some kind of leverage this time, as the club have said the square root of fuck all.

There will be a solid buyout clause in his contract which means the club are powerless if anyone offers that amount of money. His last contract only contained a clause that meant we had to enter into negotiations with anyone that offered over £40m. Our negotiations with arsenal consisted of "fuck off".

We should spend the Suarez money on Thomas Müller and Stephen Seagal. 

The former for the pitch the latter for back office work; primarily fronting up to the likes of Barcelona and Madrid when they come rooting for our best players like truffles.  He can explain the Buddha-nature to them and then knock seven different colours out of the jumped up tuppenny-ha'penny shitehawks, while reminding them of their responsibility to the environment and the single consciousness that joins all living entities together as one.

1236166573_steven_seagal_shooting_kids.g

• Upvote 3

There is absolutely no way we should allow Arsenal to strengthen by buying Sanchez in order for Barcelona to get funds to buy Suarez. It's Sanchez and cash or no thanks. Obviously of there is a real buyout clause we can only hope to get the full amount due. But weakening ourselves and strengthening a rival should not be entertained if at all possible.

Who could replace him who is in our reach ? Sanchez. The alternative is 2 top class players, a striker and a winger/ attacking mid. But who?

• Upvote 2

We should spend the Suarez money on Thomas Müller and Stephen Seagal. 

The former for the pitch the latter for back office work; primarily fronting up to the likes of Barcelona and Madrid when they come rooting for our best players like truffles.  He can explain the Buddha-nature to them and then knock seven different colours out of the jumped up tuppenny-ha'penny shitehawks, while reminding them of their responsibility to the environment and the single consciousness that joins all living entities together as one.

1236166573_steven_seagal_shooting_kids.g

We should set up a scenerio like Mc Bane were Steven Seagal is encased in an ice sculpture (no one would suspect a Steven Seagal ice sculpture). Then as the Suarez negotiations reach a head and they're trying to shaft us, Ayre presses a button under his desk switching off a cooling fan behind the sculpture revealing Seagal with a Glock, frantically unloading clips into the unsuspecting delegation. Then we could tie their dead bodies to a bunch of horses and release them in Las Ramblas to the sound of Ian Ayre's cackling over a tannoy.

mcbain-o.gif

• Upvote 1

The only way to build a team to beat the big Spanish two is by not relying on Latin players to make your team work.

The increase in size of Anfield will also help massively.

Yeah, like Michael Owen and Steve mcmanaman... 

• Upvote 1

Sanchez gets better everytime I log onto this forum. I think if we don't buy him then TLW might explode.

Nobody is bigger than the forum

Except Rafa 

• Upvote 1

"The Southern Daily Echo are reporting that LFC had a £20m bid turned down by Southampton for Croatian defender Dejan Lovren."

Don't know what is more ridiculous - them turning it down or us offering such cash for this fucking donkey. Seriously, the linked defensive targets bar Moreno scare the shit out of me. Imagine Johnson-Skrtel-Lovren-Bertrand lineup, it's fucking disgusting:D

• Upvote 2

What's the latest on Shaqiri? Are we still in for him?

For some reason I want him more than anyone else. He's perfect for us...not too pricey, stuttered after his move to a big club, still young and buckets of potential.

Come on Ian, make it happens.