You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Every scout need fired if they can't find someone definitely better than Coutinho/Allen (whichever you want to say is a starter) for £25m.  Even Henderson and Gerrard could be improved on for that money.

It's not always that easy. Look at Spurs.

Liverpool plan raid for Bayern’s World Cup midfield ace

Liverpool FC are considering an approach for Bayern Munich’s World Cup midfielder Xherdan Shaqiri.

And Brendan Rodgers is also running the rule over Southampton defender Dejan Lovren as he starts to ramp up his summer recruitment drive.

The Reds boss has made Lovren’s club team-mate, England international Adam Lallana, his prime target.

But with Southampton thought to be holding out for more than £20million, Liverpool are assessing other options.

And 22-year-old Shaqiri, who will star for Switzerland in Brazil next month, has emerged as a potential target.

Bayern would be tempted with a bid of around £15m for the player, who has not been a regular since moving from Basel in 2012.

Rodgers is also keen to bolster a defence that leaked 50 goals in the Premier League, with 24-year-old Croatia international Lovren – who scored the winner for Southampton against Liverpool at Anfield last September – at the top of his shopping list.

Lovren would not come cheap, but Fenway Sports Group are prepared to hand Rodgers a sizeable transfer kitty plus whatever funds are raised through sales. The Reds boss is tracking Sevilla’s Europa League-wining left-back Alberto Moreno, while Swansea duo goalkeeper Michel Vorm and striker Wilfried Bony, and Chelsea left-back Ryan Bertrand are among several other names linked.

Meanwhile, two-time Brazil World Cup winner Cafu has cast his eye over Jon Flanagan, the man who has been compared to him by Reds fans.

Supporters have dubbed the full-back ‘the Scouse Cafu’ on the strength of his marauding performances, and Cafu was persuaded to watch the youngster in person at Anfield in the final game of the season against Newcastle United last Sunday.

And the Brazilian believes the Liverpool man, who he met before the match, shares some of the qualities that made him a success.

“I first started hearing about him by watching Premier League matches and observing his performance along with other players,” said the 43-year-old.

“I then started seeing some news saying he is the Red Cafu!

“So there’s nothing better than coming to the city and taking a picture with my successor.

“He is a good player; still young and developing, but already gaining recognition at Liverpool and he might even have an opportunity with the English national team.

“He’ll be a great English player in the future.

“He has speed, strength and determination.

“He’s an athlete who goes after it and never gives it up.

“That’s exactly what I used to do; there were no missing chances for me, no tiredness and no being dejected.

“I see that style in him too. I hope he continues that way and achieves as many trophies as I did.”

• Upvote 1

Allen yes. Lallana is better than Allen. Coutinho though is quality if a little inconsistent. I'd say Lallana was good enough to come in for Coutinho and their to be little drop in quality.

Henderson and Gerrard are different types of players to what Lallana is but one is England captain and the other is the most improved midfielder in the country.

£25m buys you Jovetic, Lamela and Fellaini. None would improve our first team. Tough to improve the first 11 of the 2nd best team in the country

This is true, the only obvious places for improvement in the first eleven is full back (and it's obviously dependent on the system, formation we play on any given day). We could easily improve our team with loads of full backs on both sides. Signing attacking players who improve the first team is a little more problematic as a concept. Lallana would improve the match day squad at the very least which is where we've been severely lacking this season. What we need is players on the bench who can make a difference.

Would he be comfortable playing on the right of a pairing?

I've only seen him as a left sided cb.

He's right footed mate, so it shouldn't be a problem for him to play on either the right or left side of a centre half pairing. 

• Upvote 1

I agree. Like I say, I hope I'm wrong. The echo reporting tonight that they're under the impression it was one or the other. That leads me to believe the club may be using the interest in Shaqiri to try and get a reasonable price for Lallana.

• Upvote 1

He's right footed mate, so it shouldn't be a problem for him to play on either the right or left side of a centre half pairing.

Oh, I know he is Al. Just some players are far more comfortable on the left. John Terry for example.

Assuming we buy only one 25-30m player this summer, shouldn't it be on a position we need the most improvement with?

We need depth everywhere but adding another world class attacking player won't really solve our biggest problems. Lallana is a very good player and would slot into the team easily, but we'd still leak goals left and right.

It bothers me that every name being thrown around so far on the defensive side have been afterthoughts, either washed up, completely unproven, or package deals with a marquee.

Some reports in germany saying we have agreed a fee for emre can, their club officials remaining silent and some german journo saying rodgers has a good realationship with his agent who done the sahin and yesil deals.

Plays dm and is 20, seems to fit our profile and the fee quoted is 10m, havent seen him myself but have heard hes highly rated.