You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

I'd be delighted with Shaqiri and Moreno. Two top quality additions in my opinion that are the type of players that would benefit a team like City - the type of team and level we need to set for ourselves if we are going to bring home title number 19. 

Lallana and Lovren have both had a very good season. In Lallana's case, he would seem to have gone under the radar a little bit and is more than a one hit wonder. He is Southampton skipper so he is the type of guy that you would want in your dressing room when the shit hits the fan and we're 1-0 down at West Brom or Stoke etc. Furthermore, he plays football the Rodger's way. Lovren has impressed me also. Personally, I think we need to give Sakho time to become the player he has the potential to become for us and the key thing is that we figure out who he might be best paired with, whether that's Danny, Skrtel or a new signing like Lovren. I would love Ilori to get a proper go next season - he seems to be really impressing in Spain. Even if he go brought on when we were winning by a number of goals or in the cup games. It would be good to see what he would be like with someone like Sakho, because they could be our partnership for many years. Both Lallana and Lovren would make me pleasantly happy. I wouldn't be doing cartwheels around the room, but I'd be happy nevertheless.

Bertrand broke in to the Chelsea team at a young age. He seems to have gone backwards since. While he'd be one of the least inspiring signings we have been linked with, Brendan obviously knows him and he must have a bit of talent about him. Last season, I really liked McCarthy when he was at Wigan and I would have liked us to sign him. However, it's far easier to make an impression when you're a midfielder or attacker in a shit team fighting relegation. When you're a defender with Villa, it's very hard to impress if all the players around you are completely shit. 

Shaqiri and Moreno - lovely stuff.

Lovren and Lallana interesting

Bertrand - let's see how it goes

Parejo - he's Spanish so must be decent enough

Mascher - happy bloody days

First time I ever paid any attention to Alves was in that UEFA cup final against Espanyol. He was shite that night. He didn't turn out too bad in the end.

Im 99.9% sure we were after alves the summer after sevilla won their first UEFA cup, I remember this because they played Boro and I watched to see Alves who was outstanding and may have got motm that game.

What I also remember from that summer is sevillas owner was a cunt to deal with so if we are after Moreno expect a long drawn out saga.

Bascombe saying Lovren, Bertrand, Shaqiri and Bony

Other than Bertrand I'd be happy with those signings, even Bertrand would improve us

I really don't see it with Lovren at all.  I'm not a huge Caulker fan but for the right price I could see the sense in that one, but Lovren?  Not for me.  Wasn't anything special at Lyon and though he's been alright for Southampton I think having solid defenders all around him, Boruc behind him and Schneiderlin and Wanyama shielding him makes him look a lot better than he really is.

It's a "must swerve" for me, fortunately I think it's probably misinformation the club is intentionally leaking.

I wouldn't be starting him if everyone was fit.

Henderson/Gerrard/Coutinho as the midfield. Sturridge/Suarez/Sterling the front three.

Agreed.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I wouldn't be starting him if everyone was fit.

Henderson/Gerrard/Coutinho as the midfield. Sturridge/Suarez/Sterling the front three.

I think he's good enough to get in ahead of Coutinho anyway, but we're going to be playing a fuck load of games next season, so having somebody like him would be great. He's a really high quality player. Not a 25-30m player, but I think he's going to really show his quality in a team like ours.

I think he's good enough to get in ahead of Coutinho anyway, but we're going to be playing a fuck load of games next season, so having somebody like him would be great. He's a really high quality player. Not a 25-30m player, but I think he's going to really show his quality in a team like ours.

He'll get games in that position, as well.  It won't be a drop in quality at all.

He's no squad player.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He'll get games in that position, as well. It won't be a drop in quality at all.

He's no squad player.

For sure. Totally agree. I've been a bit negative about the transfer because of the price, but he's a good enough player.

We don't want to be signing players who have the mentality that they're going to be squad players. We only want winners who believe they should be playing in a top team at the top level.

We fucked majorly up a few times in crucial windows (I know they're all crucial) not just in terms of the lack of quality in the players we signed, but also the mentality of players we signed.

No more players who hit the pinnacle of their career just by signing for LFC.

Spending £25m on a player worth that money, who'd be an instant starter and would improve us with ease.  It's a mad idea but it just might work.  Or we could buy Adam Lallana

Who should we sign for £25m who would be an instant starter?

We've got the European golden boot winner, the best English striker and the best 19 year old in Europe as our front 3. If we can get one or two players of the same quality as that to rotate with then we're flying.

It's not like City have another Aguero or Silva sitting on the bench.

Lallana and Shaqiri are good enough to play for us and is not to notice a big drop in quality

Who should we sign for £25m who would be an instant starter?

We've got the European golden boot winner, the best English striker and the best 19 year old in Europe as our front 3. If we can get one or two players of the same quality as that to rotate with then we're flying.

It's not like City have another Aguero or Silva sitting on the bench.

Lallana and Shaqiri are good enough to play for us and is not to notice a big drop in quality

Every scout need fired if they can't find someone definitely better than Coutinho/Allen (whichever you want to say is a starter) for £25m.  Even Henderson and Gerrard could be improved on for that money.

Every scout need fired if they can't find someone definitely better than Coutinho/Allen (whichever you want to say is a starter) for £25m.  Even Henderson and Gerrard could be improved on for that money.

Allen yes. Lallana is better than Allen. Coutinho though is quality if a little inconsistent. I'd say Lallana was good enough to come in for Coutinho and their to be little drop in quality.

Henderson and Gerrard are different types of players to what Lallana is but one is England captain and the other is the most improved midfielder in the country.

£25m buys you Jovetic, Lamela and Fellaini. None would improve our first team. Tough to improve the first 11 of the 2nd best team in the country

• Upvote 1

Allen yes. Lallana is better than Allen. Coutinho though is quality if a little inconsistent. I'd say Lallana was good enough to come in for Coutinho and their to be little drop in quality.

Henderson and Gerrard are different types of players to what Lallana is but one is England captain and the other is the most improved midfielder in the country.

£25m buys you Jovetic, Lamela and Fellaini. None would improve our first team. Tough to improve the first 11 of the 2nd best team in the country

Forget Lallana.  Even if you believed it was tough to improve the first XI, that shouldn't lead to over paying for a Southampton player being ok.  Buy someone worth that money, and we'd improve more.  Simple but true.