You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Pay anything close to £25m for Lallana and we better not be hearing hard luck stories from Ayre later about not getting first-team quality in other positions when all the other clubs are squeezing us till our pips squeak. Southampton are broke, it's not a good negotiating base, I'd expect us to call their bluff.

To be fair, I'm not sure Rodgers is likely to spunk his entire budget on Lallana knowing that it'll stop him getting all the players we need. They'll manage the budget, if Lallana falls into the right price range, we'll buy him - and if he doesn't, we won't.

When did offering opinions someone doesn't agree with become the universal sign of a hipster?

Most overused word among football fans nowadays, just shorthand for "saying something I don't think is correct."

IMO, people attaching valuations to players is fucking nonsense. The valuation of a player is very much determined by how much: a) the seller is looking for, and how much buyer is willing to pay, assuming of course that there is no release clause. 

Every single summer we have people saying that the value of player x is so much or I wouldnt pay any more than y. This opinion of course, based on absolutely nothing other than their own perception of the players worth which has very little basis in reality. We will not 'overpay' for Lallana, as we have not overpaid for other players last summer or in January. This valuation is based on facts, such as our overall transfer budget, or the opening negotiations with the selling club, none of which any of us plebs have access too. 

Mascherano is exactly what we need in there. He has the experience and he's won the trophies. If we are in the mix in the final few weeks of next season, he is exactly the type of pro you would want in the dressing room.

I'm guessing he isn't the Mascherano of 3/4 years ago, but if he's even half the player, he'd make us a much better team.

I'm being won over to Ashley Cole the more I think about it. Obviously, I'd love us to go for Shaw and I wouldn't be opposed at all to that Argentinian fella at Sporting, but with McLaughlin showing so much promise, it mightn't be a bad thing if Cole came in for a year or two, provided he is still hungry. McLaughlin could get his chance in the cups to show if he can make an impact in the league games. Like Mascherano, Cole has the experience.

IMO, people attaching valuations to players is fucking nonsense. The valuation of a player is very much determined by how much: a) the seller is looking for, and how much buyer is willing to pay, assuming of course that there is no release clause. 

Every single summer we have people saying that the value of player x is so much or I wouldnt pay any more than y. This opinion of course, based on absolutely nothing other than their own perception of the players worth which has very little basis in reality. We will not 'overpay' for Lallana, as we have not overpaid for other players last summer or in January. This valuation is based on facts, such as our overall transfer budget, or the opening negotiations with the selling club, none of which any of us plebs have access too. 

That's fair enough and an opinion to which you have every right.

You football hipster.

Yeah we need a player who goes on strike to force a move

Have you read that shit article? He says he thinks it's the last Barca game for lots of players, and that somwehow equals a sensational return to Liverpool. 

If we begin next season with a midfield diamond of Mascher, Stevie, Hendo and Lallana I think we can safely say we've improved. Throw in a quality left back a commanding CB and a tricky forward and I might utter those immortal words about it being our year or something.

I was thinking about this more last night.  I was saying that if we were going to pay £25 million for Lallana then we should pay a little bit extra and get a Costa or Reus and aim a little higher.

But wages are a massive reason why we shouldn't.

The cost to get a Costa or Reus, might be £7 million more in transfer fee.  But Lallana is rumoured to be on 70k a week here.  Reus or Costa are rumoured to want £200k a week.

So over a five year contract, the total cost for Lallana would be £43 million.  But the total cost for Costa or Reus would be £80+ million.

That's why paying £20 million or £25 million for Lallana might not matter much, when you factor in the wages he'll be on compared to other targets.

Im more concerned with who will be going than coming if I'm honest. 

I was talking to someone yesterday and what he told me scared me a bit.

Once again this summer will be our most important summer for years, lets hope we make sure we have a better squad in September than in May, a repeat of the 09 summer could be disastrous.

• Downvote 1