You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

After the progress Henderson and Sterling have made this season, I can't second guess a decision to try and buy Lallana even though I'm not convinced it's the correct route.

There's a strategy we're pursuing here and it very nearly worked, just as it very nearly saw the shite overtake arsenal. There's something to be said for buying good lads with potential rather than simply names with skill.

Oh yes. Mezut Ozil at 42 million didn't transform Arsenal's fortunes depsite the clamour for Wenger to spend big on a household name

Forum opinion seems to be universal in thinking he's a good player.

The idea that everyone would be over the moon after limited viewing may be overselling his ability somewhat.

I haven't seen anybody say he's shite, he's a good player - but I think we need to be looking at players who will take us to that next level and he isn't that for me. 

Plus, even though some people say fans shouldn't care about the fees, we should.  If we spunk too much money on a player, due to the fact we aren't bank rolled by Russian or Arab money, that means having less to spend on other targets.

I like Lallana, a lot.  But he isn't worth £20m and Southampton will probably want more than that as well.

• Upvote 2

Lallana would be an icing on a pretty amazing cake signing for me. If he's the main signing then I'm worried.

We clearly need a few very good defenders, a strong holding midfielder and a very good 3rd choice striker (I rate Fabio but unsure about him as a 3rd choice) before we sign Lallana. To be fair, we could have already done alot behind the seasons and we don't want to announce deals before players' seasons are actually over, unlike Chelsea being wankers to Athletico over Costa.

This feels like Carroll and Downing all over again, 25 million for Adam Lallana, walk away before it's too late.

All this has happened before and will happen again! Maybe...possibly.... 

Lallana is good though. Downing was shit and every man and his dog knew it when we signed him. Was laughable the amount of people tried to pretend otherwise at the time. 

That's not needed with Lallana as pretty much everybody agrees hes good, its just how good is the question. That for me at least bodes well

• Upvote 1

I think we could get Remy, Song, Rodriguez (or Moreno or some great, young LB) and Lamela for 50M or less.. And that would mean we would still have money left over and with some outgoing transfers we could buy a RB, backup GK and even a 25M player. These are just names, but we can find success hungry, quality players for good money and even afford a trade-mark player like Reus/Mueller/etc. Ideally even take Martinez from Bayern if he's available.

Lallana is good, it's just a question of could we do more with the money. I think there are other factors in play as well, like personality fit into the squad. It's alot easier to integrate a hungry English player, than a Ukrainian one who speaks no English, would have very few similar people to him culturally. I think the unity of our squad is something Brendan has fostered, and it only takes one misfit or bad egg to diminish that. Which is why I don't think we'll sign 6 or 7 different nationalities this summer. Look at Spurs last year...

This feels like Carroll and Downing all over again, 25 million for Adam Lallana, walk away before it's too late.

I guess guided by those past experiences I have doubts lurking around this potential transfer. Given how we have spent recently, I'm apprehensive that this constitutes value for money.

My gut feeling is £8-10m and no more for Lallana and if that's not possible we shouldn't be prioritising him as our main transfer target.

I guess guided by those past experiences I have doubts lurking around this potential transfer. Given how we have spent recently, I'm apprehensive that this constitutes value for money.

My gut feeling is £8-10m and no more for Lallana and if that's not possible we shouldn't be prioritising him as our main transfer target.

So, you're saying "Don't buy Lallana at all", right? I'm a little confused cus 8-10m is absolute 100% impossible.

All this has happened before and will happen again! Maybe...possibly.... 

Lallana is good though. Downing was shit and every man and his dog knew it when we signed him. Was laughable the amount of people tried to pretend otherwise at the time. 

That's not needed with Lallana as pretty much everybody agrees hes good, its just how good is the question. That for me at least bodes well

I think what's key is that when we signed Downing we were not in the CL and we were obliged to pay way over the odds for someone overlooked by all the clubs above us. At the time its unlikely someone of Lallana's quality would have come to Liverpool.. This seasons outcome and the opportunity to play for Rodgers is a big plus. The price tag is a different matter but at least we seem to be in the lead to sign the lad which is a welcome change.

Have there been any hints of how much can be spent? I'm working off an estimate figure of £60m and I don't believe Lallana should be a third of our summer transfer budget.

I'd imagine that we're whispering some 'downplayed' budgets to friendly journos... I'd expect a strong showing in the transfer window.

This 'english tax' thing only works for smaller clubs selling to bigger clubs. The big clubs never sell their young english players at a premium, Caulker went for 7 million, Shelvey for 6 million, Henderson was going to Fulham for about 6-8 million allegedly. Yet Barkley's worth 30 million the second he kicks a ball and Lallana's worth 25 million because he's english... it's a stupid double standard.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The likes of Alberto and Coates cost us 8 million. Or near enough. 15-20 million is a fair price for Lallana

Why chose those players and not, say, Coutinho and Sturridge? I actually agree with your valuation (I think he's around a 15m player, personally, but if we pushed it up to 18-20m to get the deal done, at least we got a good player) but shouldn't we be judging him on who he is as a player rather than looking at players that haven't quite hit it off and then judging by that?

Anyway, looks a good fit, hope we've got a big budget though, because there are other areas.

Why chose those players and not, say, Coutinho and Sturridge? I actually agree with your valuation (I think he's around a 15m player, personally, but if we pushed it up to 18-20m to get the deal done, at least we got a good player) but shouldn't we be judging him on who he is as a player rather than looking at players that haven't quite hit it off and then judging by that?

Anyway, looks a good fit, hope we've got a big budget though, because there are other areas.

My point was that 8 million is fuck all for a good player in today's market

£19m is ok for Lallana, but £21m is not, Football hipster logic.

After the season we have had Rodgers can buy who the fuck he likes, so long as the coincide with who I want us to sign.

Normal person logic.

Do you own a house or a car, did you pay over the odds just because you could?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

£19m is ok for Lallana, but £21m is not, Football hipster logic.

After the season we have had Rodgers can buy who the fuck he likes, so long as the coincide with who I want us to sign.

Nah, it's more '15m is around right, but you don't do silly things like say 15m but not 16m, so if we really want the player than we'll over spend but we won't be taken the piss out of, if we can't come to a deal at 20m, then we might as well start looking elsewhere because you start to open up a different market at 20-25-30m'.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

To be fair, he's worth as much as Rodgers wants/rates him..if he really, really wants him he'll pay 30M if needed..

What about 1000 trillion? What if Rodgers wants him that much? Is that how much he's worth?