You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Just watching the Sothampton v United game now. So far Lallana has been excellent and will be great for us if we get him.

Secondly, I'll be sick whoever Luke Shaw ends up at. He's outstanding and would be worth every penny of £30m. Best leftback in the league this season

Buy the two for 50 mil spend the rest on a top quality right back like Coleman. All player sales should then go into finding a world class young midfield player over the next couple of transfer windows.

I was all for a couple of fullbacks and maybe a defensive midfielder but on consideration I think we should get some more goals. The reason we came up short is when we needed something else we had Joe Allen or nothing, city had negredo, Nasri, dzecko, jovetic or navas. 3 more game changers please Brendan, we'll look at the defensive side of things next year.

Was talking to a Saints fan yesterday and he said Lallana is a boss player, but that he often doesn't finish games and is taken off after 60-70 minutes. I checked today and he came off after 70 minutes. My immediate thought would be concern about this when he's at a club like Southampton. Does he have a history of injury? Btw I really like him so I'm not being critical.

My dream summer;

Ray Houghton has just been making this same point.

Lallana played brilliantly in this game against United and is the captain but was subbed. He was saying he's subbed in half of all Southamptons games (their most subbed player)and goes missing without the ball.

Must be a big concern that he's gassed after 70 mins. Not as if he's a youngster. Being a liverpool player you'd need him to be putting 90 minute shifts in

Sky reporting Mancs have bid £27 million for Shaw.

Who is making the decision to buy these new players?  

They don't have a manager.

Ray Houghton has just been making this same point.

Lallana played brilliantly in this game against United and is the captain but was subbed. He was saying he's subbed in half of all Southamptons games (their most subbed player)and goes missing without the ball.

Must be a big concern that he's gassed after 70 mins. Not as if he's a youngster. Being a liverpool player you'd need him to be putting 90 minute shifts in

Just checked his numbers on premier league.com and he seems fine to me. 4 times in 20 games he didn't play at least 80 minutes. Generally players of his position are usually the ones subbed so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Rich club bids £30m for a defender shocker.

You don't need a manager for that, it's just what happens. Got to keep season ticket sales coming in for next season....

So they are just spending £30 million before they get a new manager.  Doesn't make much sense.

Shaw is supposed to be a mad Chelsea fan, so if the Mancs have a chance of getting him, then we certainly should be in there. Even if it's 30 million, it's well worth it. With coleman, the blues are always ready to talk money, but they'll be talking crazy money. The thing is they are so skint, he's obtainable. I'd be very happy to offer them 2-3 players and 10-15 million. That's two top quality young fullbacks that know the premier league and would be perfect for the way Brendan has us playing.

That's a massive part of our budget blown on those two, but I'd be over the moon getting them in. Guys like mascherano or Xabi might be obtainable for next to nothing to replace Lucas. Not only are they still miles better, but even if they are past it, they are the kind of old pros that we need. Mascherano has played centre half for Barca as well. If we could have money to get a top winger, I'd be over the moon.

Whilst we're in make-believe World about signing an Everton player Barkley is the one to get fuck Coleman.

Would love Barkley but reckon they wouldn't sell for under 40 million especially not to us. Not sure, he'd even come here, even it was a goer. Don't agree that it's "make believe world" - Everton would sell to anyone, but they would only sell for crazy money to us. It really would depend on how badly we want him and if we feel that he and Shaw are worth such massive investment. In my opinion, they are.

So you think he has told them to get Shaw?

Not sure if he told them mate, but he'll certainly know about it. It's not like he's found out on twitter. They'll have consulted him, after having done their own scouting and discussions with the agent, and had he said 'fuck no' then they wouldn't have bid.

Coleman cost Everton what, £300,000?   Was seen as a shit winger for a couple of years, then a pretty ropey fullback and now he's developed into a decent player that the blues would want £10 million + for.  I think that would demonstrate a bit that paying out massive sums for a fullback is not really needed.

• Upvote 1

I don't think any striker is going to get too many chances unless Suarez or Sturridge get injured, and even then we could even go 1 up front anyway, so I think we may struggle to get a really top-class striker to basically sit on the bench. I would be happy with SAS & Borini & another reasonably capable & reasonably cheap guy like Remy or Ba.

All the more reason to bring Borini back. Dont forget, we have Euro football next season, and Rodgers is implementing a system which ALL players are expected to fit. It simply wont be possible to have SAS up front in all games in all competitions.

Theres an argument that Aspas isnt good enough. None of us know how Aspas would have done under different circumstanses. He was a killer player on the continent.

We all wondered about Coutinho, and even Hendo, once upon a time.

History has spoken.