You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He has a world class career because 2 of the richest teams in the world have him on their books!!!!!!! Is that the definition of World a Class? You fuckin beaut.

And one of them was before they were rich. How many first team games did he get for City, anyway? 200? 300?

We're only doing it so Spurs hijack the deal and pay £30m for him

How much did spurs pay for Soldardo? I think it was about 27 mil .Lamela was about 30 mil. They done the Bale money on players who couldn't adapt. Good.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Barkley could be great for us. The kid showed balls today.

Sooner put the extra money into getting him, to be honest. I do like Lallana but 25m opens a lot of doors.

Sooner put the extra money into getting him, to be honest. I do like Lallana but 25m opens a lot of doors.

Exactly what I was thinking watching that and their fans reactions might give him reason enough to consider a move for us should we make a bid.

He has a world class career because 2 of the richest teams in the world have him on their books!!!!!!! Is that the definition of World a Class? You fuckin beaut.

I didn't say he had a world class career you fucking maggot, I was pointing out he was still highly thought of though regardless how his career was going. That's the reason we bought him

Lallana and Barkley.

I could go for that! The latter really went up in my estimation today, rising above the pettiness that seemed to infect his teammates. Lallana looks like a really nice footballer to me, though I'm not sure about his physical endurance...

Yes Sturridge had a world class career before joining us.

He was one of the top talents in his age group all through his teens, that's how he ended up at Chelsea in the first place. He'd won Champions League and Premier League winners medals, been capped for England, had a successful loan spell at Bolton and played over 60 games for a very good Chelsea team by the time he came here at 22.

He was in the Coutinho boat of being a very highly regarded youngster who seemed destined for the top but whose career at one of the best teams in Europe had stagnated. He's a prime example (and Coutinho is another) of looking at a player's career as a whole and concluding he can probably play far better than his current form.

What we did with Sturridge/Coutinho would be like Ross Barkley going massively off the boil for the next 12 months and then taking a punt on him for £10-15m, hoping he can get back on track. What people are suggesting we do with Lallana would be like Lee Cattermole playing out of his skin for the whole of next season and then signing him for £20-25m, hoping he will continue to play at that level, rather than the level he's been at for the rest of his career.

• Upvote 4

Lallana and Barkley.

I could go for that! The latter really went up in my estimation today, rising above the pettiness that seemed to infect his teammates. Lallana looks like a really nice footballer to me, though I'm not sure about his physical endurance...

Yep, fuck it, sign em both and then sell the dead wood and buy a top quality attacking full back who can play both sides.

I think 5/6 quality players with the possibility of Wisdom, Suso and even Borini coming back would be enough I think. The likes of Jordan Ibe and one or two from the academy sides may even make the step up next season. Texeira doesn't look a million miles away from what I've seen of him.

Sounds about right but it depends on how much we've really got to spend. No good having 5-6 targets with only £60m when Lallana is being bandied about for around half that. Hopefully FSG take the approach that it costs what it costs so long as it doesn't put us in the red. Obviously we won't spend City or Chelsea type money for windows on end but if there was ever an offseason to gamble by spending more than our typical budget I'd say it's this one.

Guest LFD

Brendan Rodgers says Liverpool are back for good, even if they don't win the league

Rodgers is ready to lure some of Europe's biggest names to Anfield with the appeal of Champions League football, and his swashbuckling style of play

Brendan Rodgers claims Liverpool are back in the big time, no matter how the title race pans out, writes Neil Moxley in the Sunday People.

The Kop boss plans to bring in SIX top names this summer, with Europe’s stars seduced by Liverpool’s style as much as the prospect of Champions League football.

“Our style of football is recognised,” said Rodgers.

“We have a way of working and a way of playing that top players want a part of. We have a creative attacking team that wins matches.

“Everybody is loving what Liverpool are doing.”

The Northern Irishman claims some of Europe’s top stars could see a year ago how Liverpool were developing but Champions League football was their priority

That is now on the table at Anfield, plus more lucrative salaries thanks to a guaranteed European campaign.

He said: “Speaking to some players last summer, they respected what we were developing at the club but they wanted to play at the top level.

“I suspect this summer it will be a totally different proposition. Financially, the climate changes.

“That’s going to lead to us injecting the squad with quality.

“Hopefully, what we have been putting into place over the last couple of seasons prepares us for bringing in this calibre of player and sets us up to have a real crack at the competition.”

Rodgers stopped short of identifying his targets but it is clear from his words that owner John Henry is ready for a summer of spending.

“It’s absolutely right to say the squad isn’t big enough and needs to be ­improved,” he said. “There needs to be an injection of quality at the club this summer. It’s hard to define ­numbers but it will have to be ­something like five or six.

“The owners recognise that as well. They have been great.

“They have ­entrusted me to come in and put my football vision in place.

“They want something that is ­sustainable. I am that kind of coach. I am someone who builds.

“I’m not a maintainer. I like to grow and develop and nurture.

“And the Champions League is a competition we want to be in and we want to stay in it.

“We needed to get into the Champions League so this is ­absolutely brilliant for us.

“Every player, every manager, every club wants to be at the top of the game, and obviously the Champions League is the pinnacle of European club football.

“I used to sit on the sidelines at Chelsea and watch the flag being shaken in the middle of the field, the music and the whole shebang that comes with it.

“You hope that one day as a ­manager or a coach you get the opportunity to work at that level.

“I’ve been round for a lot of years watching that, so the chance to take the club into that for the first time in five years makes me immensely proud.

“But we will finish this season first ­before next year. And what will be, will be. But no one should doubt that this club is on the right track.”

Meanwhile, Rodgers is standing firm in his row with Jose Mourinho, claiming his moans about Chelsea were justified.

The Liverpool chief ­conceded he was ­‘frustrated’ after his ­old boss put one over on him at Anfield last week.

Mourinho claimed that Rodgers had sent him a text congratulating the Blues on the result after the Portuguese had been hit with the accusation his team had “parked two buses”.

Rodgers admits it was never personal with ­Mourinho, but maintains he has no ­regrets about the main thrust of his argument.

He said: “I was a wee bit frustrated. But I am big enough to respect the man Jose is and the ­manager he is. It was a ­professional look at the game.

“I have huge ­appreciation for the way he works.

“But I am a ­football guy and I was ­frustrated we lost.

“I don’t ­regret saying it was tough for us to break through – it was.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/brendan-rodgers-says-liverpool-back-3493477?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He was one of the top talents in his age group all through his teens, that's how he ended up at Chelsea in the first place. He'd won Champions League and Premier League winners medals, been capped for England, had a successful loan spell at Bolton and played over 60 games for a very good Chelsea team by the time he came here at 22.

He was in the Coutinho boat of being a very highly regarded youngster who seemed destined for the top but whose career at one of the best teams in Europe had stagnated. He's a prime example (and Coutinho is another) of looking at a player's career as a whole and concluding he can probably play far better than his current form.

What we did with Sturridge/Coutinho would be like Ross Barkley going massively off the boil for the next 12 months and then taking a punt on him for £10-15m, hoping he can get back on track. What people are suggesting we do with Lallana would be like Lee Cattermole playing out of his skin for the whole of next season and then signing him for £20-25m, hoping he will continue to play at that level, rather than the level he's been at for the rest of his career.

That's one way to spin being a bit part player who, by his own admission, wasn't getting opportunities and who had a faltering career until he came to Liverpool.

Whatever, I'll judge players on ability rather than some nonsense about their career.

As for comparing him with cattermole, you're talking out of your arse. He has been highly rated for a long while, was in every 'promoted players to watch' section and has been doing very well for two seasons in the premier league. The difference between lallana and cattermole is that lallana is a good player. The similarities are their nationality.

Don't get too optimistic over our summer transfer activity.

Rodgers was quoted saying that we're looking to bring at least 2 players in January. They "committee" thought not.

So even if he says/thinks that we'll be in a position to sign 4,5 or even more player, they might not support him in the market and he'll have to issue a statement on August 31st saying how he believes that our squad is strong enough to compete.

I expect 2 max 3 players and I hope we don't spent all of our transfer funds on 1-2 overinflated english  mediocrities and regret it for the next 3 seasons.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd be perfectly happy with 3 players, as long as they are absolute top shelf players. Give me a Kovacic for centre mid, a top class left back, and a top goal scoring winger/attacking mid like Reus, or a top striker to give Sturridge/Suarez competition (as opposed to being a clear cut backup). As long as the 3 we bring in are going to be clear cut first choice types, the ones that drop out of our first team will make our bench much stronger.

Supplemented with one or two academy types like Ibe and Suso, and I would be happy with that until January where we can bring in one or two more.

Rival midfield, attacking midfield, winger, signings last transfer window,

Man City,

Jovetic 25 mil

Navas 22 mil

Chelsea

Willian 30 mil

Salah 12 mil

Spurs

Lemela 26 mil

Soldardo 26 mil

Ericson 12 mil

Arsenal

Ozil. 40 mil

Man utd

Zaha 16 mil

Mata. 36 mil

Fellani 27 mil

Southamptons Llamalla ( 15-25mil? ) with 9 goals, 8 assists has a better stats record than any of the players above.

• Upvote 1