You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

12 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Was just going to post about that Berlin 1945. I've watched the first two episodes. Very good. But very haunting too. The Nazis were cunts. But, some of the shit that the Red Army did when they entered Berlin was abhorrent too. 

It was really good and as you say haunting and powerful images. 

It's hard to comprehend the actions of both sides and the hardships of living in that chaos. 

4 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

One of the BBC channels. I've been watching it on iPlayer. It gives an account of what happened in Berlin and the surrounding area throughout 1945, based on accounts given in local newspapers, residents personal diaries and testimonies. It's worth a watch. 

Nice one I'll stick that on in a bit 

11 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Is this Berlin 1945 a documentary series like The World at War etc?

The archive footage is very similar but it's backed up by the reading of diary extracts and photos of the people who wrote them.

It begins in November 1941 when Berlin has hardly been touched by the war.

It's very good and is available on I Player.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m000p9tc/berlin-1945 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

The archive footage is very similar but it's backed up by the reading of diary extracts and photos of the people who wrote them.

It begins in November 1941 when Berlin has hardly been touched by the war.

It's very good and is available on I Player.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m000p9tc/berlin-1945 

I will give that a go. I am interested in those types of things and rate The World at War as one of the best tv series ever made. Those Apocalypse WW1 and WW2 series were brilliant too.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I will give that a go. I am interested in those types of things and rate The World at War as one of the best tv series ever made. Those Apocalypse WW1 and WW2 series were brilliant too.

If you haven't seen this, give it a go while it's still on I Player. 

They Shall Not Grow Old.

Employing state-of-the-art technology to transform audio and moving image archive footage more than a century old, Peter Jackson brings to life the people who can best tell the story of World War I: the men who were there. 

Driven by a personal interest in the conflict, Jackson sets out to explore the day-to-day experience of its combatants. Immersed for months in the BBC and Imperial War Museum archives, Jackson created narratives and strategies regarding how this story should be told. Using only the voices of those involved, the film explores the reality of war on the front line: their attitudes to the conflict, how they ate, rested and formed friendships in those moments between battles, as well as their hopes and dreams for the future. Each frame of the film has been hand-colourised by Jackson's team, the footage 3D-digitised, transformed with modern post-production techniques, enabling these soldiers to walk and talk among us. 

Reaching into the mists of time, Jackson aims to give these men voices, investigate the hopes and fears of these veterans that survived and were able to tell their stories, and detail the humility and humanity of those who represented a generation forever changed by the destruction of a global war.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0brzkzx/they-shall-not-grow-old

• Upvote 1

Just finished The Haunting of Bly Manor, went in with low expectations with a lot of reviews being mixed. Blitzed it in three sittings. Bloody brilliant. 8.8 Lesbians out of 10 Ladies of the Lake.

I watched the first episode of Industry the other day. A BBC2 drama set in the world of finance and focusing on an intake of graduates at an investment bank in London. 

Directed by Lena Dunham (Girls) it’s probably nothing we haven’t seen before but it was pretty good. The Guardian gave it 5 stars, personally I wouldn’t go that far but I’ll certainly watch episode two.

7.5/10.

• Upvote 1

Ghoul - 7.5/10. Hindi Netflix limited series set in a dystopian near future where the unit at a secret government interrogation facility bite off more than they can chew. Literally. Only three episodes long and pretty good. Could be creepier but still enjoyable.

On 13/11/2020 at 09:44, VladimirIlyich said:

I still watch The World at War sometimes, great series and Oliviers narration along with the theme, it always ends with him saying something to capture your imagination, the Black Watch were over the Rhine that type of thing. 

On 14/11/2020 at 16:16, Fluter in Dakota said:

Just finished The Haunting of Bly Manor, went in with low expectations with a lot of reviews being mixed. Blitzed it in three sittings. Bloody brilliant. 8.8 Lesbians out of 10 Ladies of the Lake.

The first season was way better IMO. Admittedly I watched it because I wanted a scare and in that respect it wasn't a patch on season 1. Still decent - 7/10 for me

2 hours ago, Aw Geez said:

The first season was way better IMO. Admittedly I watched it because I wanted a scare and in that respect it wasn't a patch on season 1. Still decent - 7/10 for me

I know what you mean, it was definitely lower on the scare scales but that seemed intentional as the story was quite complex at times. Trying to keep up with a complex story while keeping your pants clean is probably not the easiest thing to do.