You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The Queen's Gambit is absolutely brilliant, 9/10. Stunningly shot, beautifully acted and a gripping story without the horror and grime you might expect from the first episode. And I learned a new word- Bildungsroman. If you like Chess- I do, but haven't played it in years because I was shit- this is sex on a stick.

On a separate note, and not to get all alt-right and Trumpian (as if any of those pricks are going to watch this anyway), this is exactly how you do a 'diverse' series or film. No gender- or race-swapping, it's a straight up adaptation of an original work, so it doesn't feel like a forced load of bullshit just to score points. The only thing I thought was going to happen and didn't is in spoiler tags below, but it's way beyond the scope of the series so fuck it.

When Borgov gave her his King at the end, I was hoping that would be the signal the Secret Service guy alluded to on the flight over, and he'd be looking to defect. There was no indication he wanted to though, and it quite rightly shied away from the Cold War stuff, so meh.

• Upvote 3

Succession is absolutely wonderful. Some really laugh out loud moments from Culkin, but also some really "oh my fucking god" moments too. Gripping, thrilling, tempestuous. Brilliant writing and excellent acting. Just finished S2E6 and can barely wait to watch the last few. 

No takers for "Hollywood"? Also highly recommended. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mudface said:

The Queen's Gambit is absolutely brilliant, 9/10. Stunningly shot, beautifully acted and a gripping story without the horror and grime you might expect from the first episode. And I learned a new word- Bildungsroman. If you like Chess- I do, but haven't played it in years because I was shit- this is sex on a stick.

On a separate note, and not to get all alt-right and Trumpian (as if any of those pricks are going to watch this anyway), this is exactly how you do a 'diverse' series or film. No gender- or race-swapping, it's a straight up adaptation of an original work, so it doesn't feel like a forced load of bullshit just to score points. The only thing I thought was going to happen and didn't is in spoiler tags below, but it's way beyond the scope of the series so fuck it.

Reveal hidden contents

Haven’t finished it yet so avoided your spoiler (thanks for the tags) but I totally agree. Way up there with the absolute best Netflix originals I’ve seen. It’s superb and I’m head over heels in love with Beth, I’d happily watch her playing Chess for the rest of my days. 

I think, without looking, I may have rated it 8.5/10 earlier in the thread. I’m a disgrace, it’s easily 9/10, pushing 9.5.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Haven’t finished it yet so avoided your spoiler (thanks for the tags) but I totally agree. Way up there with the absolute best Netflix originals I’ve seen. It’s superb and I’m head over heels in love with Beth, I’d happily watch her playing Chess for the rest of my days. 

I think, without looking, I may have rated it 8.5/10 earlier in the thread. I’m a disgrace, it’s easily 9/10, pushing 9.5.

She is gorgeous, got that Killing Eve vibe. I'd prefer to see her getting fucked by that French model, but I suppose an entire series of that might have been a hard sell. Thanks Trump.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Mudface said:

Hide contents

When Borgov gave her his King at the end, I was hoping that would be the signal the Secret Service guy alluded to on the flight over, and he'd be looking to defect. There was no indication he wanted to though, and it quite rightly shied away from the Cold War stuff, so meh.

Just finished the last one this morning, It’s rightly getting praised, really good watch.

• Upvote 1

On 06/11/2020 at 14:46, sir roger said:

Tin Star

Yes, enjoyed the first series but it felt like everything had been wrapped up and then they saw that the ratings were good and they just cobbled some rubbish together for the second one. Wont be bothering with the third one.

The last one is set in Liverpool, isn’t it, judging by the trailer.

Helstrom - 4/10. Hulu’s entry into Marvel territory. Looks standalone from the MCU and I can’t see it being renewed. Takes twice as long as it needs to to get where its going. The best bits are the exorcism of a boy in the first five minutes of episode one and the last five minutes of the last episode which showcase what it could have been (a darker adult MCU offering with both horror and a touch of amusement). Everything in between is slow, dull, and lacks the real tension or creepiness they obviously wanted.

That documentary about Jim Marshall earlier was very good. Of all the iconic music photos that have been taken most have been by him. 

From the jazz/folk festivals of the early 60s right through to the Stones 72 and the 80s he had access to them all, a bit of a gun totting loon at times though. 

His favourite was Duane Allman and he was gutted when he died, Cash at Foulsom prison were good too, there's loads. One of mine is of Janis Joplin on stage. 

It was well worth a watch, Sky Arts last night, it'll be repeated. 

6 hours ago, easytoslip said:

That documentary about Jim Marshall earlier was very good. Of all the iconic music photos that have been taken most have been by him. 

From the jazz/folk festivals of the early 60s right through to the Stones 72 and the 80s he had access to them all, a bit of a gun totting loon at times though. 

His favourite was Duane Allman and he was gutted when he died, Cash at Foulsom prison were good too, there's loads. One of mine is of Janis Joplin on stage. 

It was well worth a watch, Sky Arts last night, it'll be repeated. 

Is that the fella of the amplifiers fame?

15 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Is that the fella of the amplifiers fame?

Don't think so, I missed the start but it did mention amplifiers at some stage. 

Coke head, but they all wanted him to take photos from Miles Davies to Led Zeppelin, great shots of various festivals as well as personal ones, he was at Altamont but had to do one because of the violence, carried a gun and a knife. Bonkers, good watch. 

I'll have to check that out about amps. 

7 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

It was just the name 'Marshall' and it's fame for guitar amps so put 2 and 2 together and got 5!

Jim Marshall is the same name as the founder of Marshall amps too.

Righto, it did mention Amps but I think it was about some band he was taking photos of. 

Anyone seen or recommended The Great yet? It's a fictionalised account of Catherine the Great and it's genuinely hilarious. And no holds barred brutal. Elle Fanning is Catherine and Nicholas Hoult is amazing as her husband King Peter son of Peter the Great. Deffo in top five of the TV shows I've watched this year and I've been furloughed so I've seen a LOT! 

9 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The latest 24 Hours In Police Custody was a belter. "The Home County Cartel." A two parter about a drugs importing gang. The first one was on tonight and I watched the second one straight after it on All4. 

Decent. 

I missed that last night, it's usually very good. 

9 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The latest 24 Hours In Police Custody was a belter. "The Home County Cartel." A two parter about a drugs importing gang. The first one was on tonight and I watched the second one straight after it on All4. 

Decent. 

Are you sure it wasn't 'The Home County K-Tel' and they smuggled mail order LPs?

5 minutes ago, elvis said:

Warning - it's a fucking long slog . 

I thought it was three seasons of 10 episodes or something? Or do you mean in content? 

Hey, man. I like Star Trek. There’s about 800 episodes of that and I’ve watched them all twice or more. I’m sure I can manage! 

Seriously though, I’ve been meaning to start it but I just haven’t been watching TV. It’s been CNN or nothing. My TV hasn’t been on since they announced Biden, other than for 90 minutes of footy. 

On 07/11/2020 at 10:08, redheart said:

B Positive. A new sitcom with Thomas Middleditch of Silicon Valley. It has an 86% rating on rotten tomatoes,

I don't know how. It is shit

I watched the pilot. The most positive thing I can say about it is episode 2 must be better. 

On 07/11/2020 at 08:19, YorkshireRed said:

Am I getting this show mixed up, this is the one about someone playing chess? 

• Upvote 1