You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Just finished I May Destroy You and it was incredible. I’m struggling to remember anything as consistently powerful, week to week - and I definitely haven’t seen a TV show that made me think about things in so many new ways as this does with sex, consent and sexuality. And finally, the last episode is right up there with the maddest things I’ve ever seen. 

This is absolutely fucking brilliant television: highly original and wonderfully written and acted. Get on it. 

Just now, Paul said:

Just finished I May Destroy You and it was incredible. I’m struggling to remember anything as consistently powerful, week to week - and I definitely haven’t seen a TV show that made me think about things in so many new ways as this does with sex, consent and sexuality. And finally, the last episode is right up there with the maddest things I’ve ever seen. 

This is absolutely fucking brilliant television: highly original and wonderfully written and acted. Get on it. 

I actually *cough* acquired the whole season of that today. 

50 minutes ago, Numero said:

Yeah, but I have a large collection that I stream to all device, so I can watch it via the home theatre gubbins. Also I find that I player app on the tv isn’t great quality when I stream it. 

Another problem is that a lot of series don't seem to have much of a shelf life on iPlayer. Unless you catch them fairly close to the original broadcast date, they're unavailable. C4 is much better in this regard, although obviously you have to wade through ads on their All 4 service. I still download stuff from time to time just for the convenience.

29 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Another problem is that a lot of series don't seem to have much of a shelf life on iPlayer. Unless you catch them fairly close to the original broadcast date, they're unavailable. C4 is much better in this regard, although obviously you have to wade through ads on their All 4 service. I still download stuff from time to time just for the convenience.

That's also true, yeah. I acquire a lot of my stuff in high quality and, if I can, I get it in 10bit because my TV can play that shiz and it looks great. Plus, storing it locally on my server means everything is instant. I think I'd happily pay for a service that just had all the stuff on it - basically an aggregator of Netflix, Prime, Hulu, and the rest - but they're so spread out. I'd have to get the lot. I've got Prime because I'm a supporter of the slave trade I like next day delivery, but I don't watch anything on there. Actually, the only thing I've watched on there is the 4k footy, which was absolutely banging. 

10 minutes ago, Numero said:

That's also true, yeah. I acquire a lot of my stuff in high quality and, if I can, I get it in 10bit because my TV can play that shiz and it looks great. Plus, storing it locally on my server means everything is instant. I think I'd happily pay for a service that just had all the stuff on it - basically an aggregator of Netflix, Prime, Hulu, and the rest - but they're so spread out. I'd have to get the lot. I've got Prime because I'm a supporter of the slave trade I like next day delivery, but I don't watch anything on there. Actually, the only thing I've watched on there is the 4k footy, which was absolutely banging. 

What's 10 bit? 8K?

What Is 8K? Should You Buy a New TV or Wait? | PCMag

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

Got you- thanks.

There's probably not that much difference, to be honest. That said, some of the files automatically switch the TV to HDR mode, which does look quite a bit different and is supposed to represent the 'true version of what the director saw'. Sounds like mumbo jumbo to me, but looks good on the box so *shrug*

Just now, Numero said:

There's probably not that much difference, to be honest. That said, some of the files automatically switch the TV to HDR mode, which does look quite a bit different and is supposed to represent the 'true version of what the director saw'. Sounds like mumbo jumbo to me, but looks good on the box so *shrug*

Yeah, it's a big thing in gaming now as well. Some of it is the usual hype, but well designed games- i.e. ones not slathered in bloom, chromatic aberration and motion blurring and barely reaching 30 fps- do look significantly better.

9 hours ago, Paul said:

We've watched 8 episodes since Saturday! I've never watched anything like it and, like you, it's challenging the way I think about things; I said to my wife that I don't have the experiences or vocabulary to articulate how I feel about it.

Incredible. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Karl_b said:

We've watched 8 episodes since Saturday! I've never watched anything like it and, like you, it's challenging the way I think about things; I said to my wife that I don't have the experiences or vocabulary to articulate how I feel about it.

Incredible. 

At 49, I’m starting to watch things that make me feel old in the sense that I have almost no point of reference with them (although that’s not a bad thing). This is number one on that list. 

On 12/07/2020 at 23:21, Red74 said:

Dark - just watched the 1st episode of series 3 and this seems to have gone to shit. I’m praying they don’t ruin what was a great series up till the last 2 episodes of series 2. Why not just let the story continue from series 1.

Ive just rewatched the first two series's. On first viewing last year or so I thought that ending to series 2 was ridiculous, however on rewatch I didn't mind nearly as much. Hannah going back to the 50s to jib off Ulrich was brutal.

I think on a lot of sci fi/fantasy you just have to let ridiculousness wash over you and not think too much about plot holes.

Anyway, Dark-

Series1 - 9/10

Series 2 - 8/10

Just now, johnsusername said:

The Black List - wife made me watch this. Gets good reviews. I thought it was shite and left the room halfway through episode 2 to tidy the kitchen.

What would you rate out of 10 the kitchen clean?

Das Boot (TV Series)

I know I’m a little behind with this one. Read some decent reviews of series two so thought I’d give it a go.

Didn’t watch it when it originally came out, due to some mixed reviews it received, but I really enjoyed it. Well made, decently acted for the most part, with some touching and tense moments.

Rattled through series one and just watched the first episode of series two.

8/10.

1 hour ago, YorkshireRed said:

Das Boot (TV Series)

I know I’m a little behind with this one. Read some decent reviews of series two so thought I’d give it a go.

Didn’t watch it when it originally came out, due to some mixed reviews it received, but I really enjoyed it. Well made, decently acted for the most part, with some touching and tense moments.

Rattled through series one and just watched the first episode of series two.

8/10.

Yeah I really enjoyed it (series 1 that is). It's nothing really to do with the film other than the name but it's good telly. Looking forward to the latest series (bits of which were filmed in Liverpool near my work down the pier head).

I've recently rewatched Dark and Marianne, I'll follow up with Das Boot 2. Some good European telly being made. 

• Upvote 1

Ares (Series 1) - 8/10. Dutch Netflix original that consists of eight 25-30m episodes and doesn’t outstay it’s welcome. Basically a horror series surrounding a secret society of the most powerful people in the Netherlands. Can be quite explicit with violence and at times plays like a Cloggypop cannabis-fuelled nightmare. Has quite an interesting conceit which isn’t revealed until the final episode, and leaves a few loose ties to keep you looking to a second series. I think it’ll be Marmite - you’ll either like it or hate it.

Dark S3 - a great way to top off one of the maddest shows ever made. You really have to give the creators their props for keeping the show immensely watchable even if you needed a doctorate in quantum physics to watch it at most points. The casting of all the characters at differing ages was great too. 9/10