You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

7 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Finished 'The Eddy' last night, great show which gets better as it goes along. The acting is superb in parts and you get to know each main character during each episode. Music is just an added bonus if you like Jazz. Overall 9/10. (Netflix)

Just started watching 'The Kominsky Method.' Three episodes in so far and it is right up my street. It's a comedy drama which is beautifully written, the humour is  well placed, especially for older adults. Quite sad in places but met with humour that only mature adults could come up with. The chemistry between the two leads 'Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin' is excellent, an ageing friendship that many of us old farts can relate to. If you haven't seen this then you need to get on it. 10/10 so far. (Netflix)

You are well late on The Komisky Method. I was on that years ago but nobody listened. I really liked both series.

Guest Pistonbroke
19 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You are well late on The Komisky Method. I was on that years ago but nobody listened. I really liked both series.

I'd never heard of it until Netflix said 'Because you liked Afterlife you may like this.' Glad I watched it, absolutely top TV and series 3 can't come soon enough. Pity each episode is so short and only 8 episodes to a series. Still giving it a 10/10. 

Started watching that 'New Girl' now. Light refreshing comedy that might grind on me after a while, but the scripts and acting are fine so far with the added bonus of top totty. Glad they didn't go down the canned laughter route on both of these shows. So far a reasonable 6.75/10 

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Becoming - Michelle Obama story - Netflix. 

7/10. She is a very likeable woman. I'd like to see her be President one day. 

My Mum is a big fan and recently read her Autobiography. Would be great to see both an African American,again, and woman as President. She certainly would show the present incumbent a thing or two.

22 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

14minutes 43 seconds, if you were wondering (which, obviously, you were not). That’s how long it took me to decide I’m really going to like this show. 

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

14minutes 43 seconds, if you were wondering (which, obviously, you were not). That’s how long it took me to decide I’m really going to like this show. 

So you don't like it? I suppose it appeals a bit more to a slightly older generation and has an Odd Couple vibe to it,which I quite enjoy.

Listening to blindboy podcast earlier and he recommended Oz. Watched it when it was originally released and had forgotten all about it, one of the best series ever made. It's about prison gangs, ultra violent from start to finish, don't get too attached to any of the characters, they usually meet a brutal end.

3 minutes ago, No2 said:

Listening to blindboy podcast earlier and he recommended Oz. Watched it when it was originally released and had forgotten all about it, one of the best series ever made. It's about prison gangs, ultra violent from start to finish, don't get too attached to any of the characters, they usually meet a brutal end.

Yeah it's ace. 

9 episodes into Gotham S1. Enjoying this so far but the fella who plays Jim Gordon is really starting to burn my head out with his terrible acting.

Can tell he knows when the camera will be on him as he always pulls a face like he can smell dog shit when there’s no need for it.

Girl who plays his Mrs is sensational tho but it looks like she’s had enough of him too the way that last episode ended. 

58 minutes ago, Red74 said:

9 episodes into Gotham S1. Enjoying this so far but the fella who plays Jim Gordon is really starting to burn my head out with his terrible acting.

Can tell he knows when the camera will be on him as he always pulls a face like he can smell dog shit when there’s no need for it.

Girl who plays his Mrs is sensational tho but it looks like she’s had enough of him too the way that last episode ended. 

I liked Gotham. First season is basically a gang war between the mob and gets better as it goes on. 

Goes a bit more outright comic book in the later seasons but still very good. Loads of very well cast actors, Penguin, The Riddler, The Joker and Ra’s Al Ghul are all boss. I agree Jim Gordon is a bit tiring as the lead though.

Citizens of Boomtown: The Story of the Boomtown Rats (7/10).

Watched this last night. Recorded it previously but it may still be on the iPlayer.

I guess how much you like this might be dependent on how much you like their music and/or your opinion of Bob Geldof. 

Age might come into it a bit as well. 

I’m 47 which makes me a little young to have been tuned in to their early stuff but beginning to get into music when they had their biggest hits. I think they were an ‘ok’ band but not as groundbreaking as is made out in the documentary.

There are also claims that they played a big part in changing outlooks in Ireland which helped musicians that came after them. No idea is this is true or not. 

Geldof has obviously done a lot of great things. He’s also had a fair degree of tragedy in his life which makes me warm to him slightly. Not sure I’d fancy a pint with him though (nor he with me).

As a music documentary it was so so. Some weird scenes throughout, depicting the rats as not even sure what, but I still found it an interesting enough watch. 

55 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Watched this last night. Recorded it previously but it may still be on the iPlayer.

I guess how much you like this might be dependent on how much you like their music and/or your opinion of Bob Geldof. 

I’m 47 which makes me a little young to have been tuned in to their early stuff but beginning to get into music when they had their biggest hits. I think they were an ‘ok’ band but not as groundbreaking as is made out in the documentary.

There are also claims that they played a big part in changing outlooks in Ireland which helped musicians that came after them. No idea is this is true or not. 

Geldof has obviously done a lot of great things. He’s also had a fair degree of tragedy in his life which makes me warm to him slightly. Not sure I’d fancy a pint with him though (nor he with me).

As a music documentary it was so so. Some weird scenes throughout, depicting the rats as not even sure what, but I still found it an interesting enough watch. 

The documentary about Live Aid (Saw it on YouTube) is really good and made me go from really disliking him to mildly liking him. He proper busted his arse to get the seemingly impossible done and for that he needs a shit load of credit. 

The fact he is worth beyond 300 million always bugged me as I assumed it was mainly because of this but he laughed a production company with little funds apparently and it did superb and he made a fortune. 

I like the bit where Billy Connoly explains seeing Geldof shouting down the phone to the Philadelphia lot telling them to fuck off. When he finishes Billy asks him whats up and Geldof says "They're trying to move Santana, their fucking shit" and Billy goes " Hmm ... this is the guy from  The Boomtown Rats calling Santana shit?! I think not!" 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The documentary about Live Aid (Saw it on YouTube) is really good and made me go from really disliking him to mildly liking him. He proper busted his arse to get the seemingly impossible done and for that he needs a shit load of credit. 

The fact he is worth beyond 300 million always bugged me as I assumed it was mainly because of this but he laughed a production company with little funds apparently and it did superb and he made a fortune. 

I like the bit where Billy Connoly explains seeing Geldof shouting down the phone to the Philadelphia lot telling them to fuck off. When he finishes Billy asks him whats up and Geldof says "They're trying to move Santana, their fucking shit" and Billy goes " Hmm ... this is the guy from  The Boomtown Rats calling Santana shit?! I think not!" 

I’ll check out the YouTube video. I think I admire him rather than like but he grew on me during the documentary. I think his production company was behind things like, The Big Breakfast, hence his loaded status. 

20 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I’ll check out the YouTube video. I think I admire him rather than like but he grew on me during the documentary. I think his production company was behind things like, The Big Breakfast, hence his loaded status. 

Wasn't that Chris Evans? I know he got seriously rich through his Ginger Productions. 

26 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Wasn't that Chris Evans? I know he got seriously rich through his Ginger Productions. 

I could be wrong but I think Ginger Productions came after Chris Evans became famous on the big breakfast. That programme was produced by a company I’m fairly sure was at least partly owned by Bob Geldof.

2 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

The Fine Art of Surfacing was the first album I ever bought..

• Upvote 1

On 03/06/2020 at 21:02, No2 said:

I must have watched the first few episodes of Oz at least three times but I always get distracted and drawn away. It’s something I want to watch but I think series 1 at least hasn’t aged well at all. 

On 03/06/2020 at 23:23, Sugar Ape said:

I liked Gotham. First season is basically a gang war between the mob and gets better as it goes on. 

Goes a bit more outright comic book in the later seasons but still very good. Loads of very well cast actors, Penguin, The Riddler, The Joker and Ra’s Al Ghul are all boss. I agree Jim Gordon is a bit tiring as the lead though.

I gave up on this after three or four episodes too. It’s stupid bordering on totally fucking ridiculous. If you say it goes more comic book in later seasons then it must turn into a Nickelodeon show or some shit. 

3 hours ago, niallers said:

Just started watching billions, only 3 episodes in but I like it so far. Always liked Damian Lewis since band of brothers,and he's a big red. 

Billions is ace. Although I haven’t started this year’s series which seems to be getting roundly panned on here. 

21 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I must have watched the first few episodes of Oz at least three times but I always get distracted and drawn away. It’s something I want to watch but I think series 1 at least hasn’t aged well at all. 

I gave up on this after three or four episodes too. It’s stupid bordering on totally fucking ridiculous. If you say it goes more comic book in later seasons then it must turn into a Nickelodeon show or some shit. 

Billions is ace. Although I haven’t started this year’s series which seems to be getting roundly panned on here. 

This season is more of the same really. It’s a bit slower to get going, but it’s really just the same thing as it always has been. It’s probably getting tiresome more than it is ‘bad’.