You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

10 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Yeah the pop-culture references can be over the top. The fat lawyer saying the non-compete contracts were as tight as AC/DC in ‘78 was particularly bad. 

Wags is boss though.

Ha ha, yeah it was in the first five minutes of the first episode so you go oh hello, like Frank Miller in High Noon. Billions is back.

It's baffling because they must be aware of this (how could you not be) since they are putting in jokes like Axelrod trying to explain to someone his reference to Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Samourai.

The story is often over the top as it is, so they are in constant danger of falling into the crack between being totally ridiculous (there was one episode in S3 when it happened) and some self aware sophisticated  "meta" approach.  Like David Lynch with Blue Velvet.

Still struggling to decide who to root for now as they are all cunts, like....

Swamp Thing 7.5/10.

Just the one episode they’ve released so far. On the basis of that it was pretty good. Plays like a sci-fi horror series. Very much like John Carpenter’s The Thing in parts with some decent prosthetic and CGI effects. Entertaining and certainly nothing in the first episode to suggest why it may have been cancelled.

On 02/06/2019 at 08:12, Pistonbroke said:

I finally got around to watching 'The Sopranno's' 

10/10. Excellent TV, especially when you look at the release dates. That one episode where Pauli and Chris were in the Woods with the Russian bloke who they thought was dead was TV excellence. I literally pissed myself laughing. 

I think that is he best single episode of TV I've ever seen. Pine Barons I think it was called. Every second of the whole episode is brilliant. I think if you'd never seen the sopranos you could still watch this episode as a one off. 

Guest Pistonbroke
17 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I think that is he best single episode of TV I've ever seen. Pine Barons I think it was called. Every second of the whole episode is brilliant. I think if you'd never seen the sopranos you could still watch this episode as a one off. 

Yeah, fully agree. The scene where Tony gets whacked with a Steak from Gloria or whatever her name was just added to the hilarity of Paulie and  Chris in the woods. You could tell that Steve Buschemi Directed that particular episode. You could actually string that episode out and make it into a film. Amazing TV and this was back in 2001. 

True Detective Series One. 10/10.

It took me a long while to get round to this as it’s been on my ‘to watch’ list for ages. Loved it.

Particularly loved the Lovecraftian undertones to the story. The King In Yellow started out as a book of short stories by Robert Chambers in which the stories are connected by a common thread - a play of the same name which induces madness in those who read it. The concept of The King In Yellow and Carcosa were subsequently brought into the Cthulhu mythos by other writers. 

You can see traditional Lovecraftian themes at play in Rustin Cohle’s character arc. Loner. Bookworm. Believes in an uncaring universe. Has visions/dreams. Slight descent into madness/obsession as delves into the King In Yellow and Carcosa. Even his name sounds like a character in a Lovecraft story.

Add in Lovecraftian elements like sacrifices to forgotten gods, humans melding/mating with higher forces to become/birth something else (what the killer believes he’s becoming), and cults in the Louisiana swamplands (Call of Cthulhu).

All very much grounded in reality without adding any real supernatural elements. And two great leads. Superb television.

Not sure I’ll bother with Series Two and Three given what’s been written on here about them.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Anubis said:

True Detective Series One. 10/10.

It took me a long while to get round to this as it’s been on my ‘to watch’ list for ages. Loved it.

Particularly loved the Lovecraftian undertones to the story. The King In Yellow started out as a book of short stories by Robert Chambers in which the stories are connected by a common thread - a play of the same name which induces madness in those who read it. The concept of The King In Yellow and Carcosa were subsequently brought into the Cthulhu mythos by other writers. 

You can see traditional Lovecraftian themes at play in Rustin Cohle’s character arc. Loner. Bookworm. Believes in an uncaring universe. Has visions/dreams. Slight descent into madness/obsession as delves into the King In Yellow and Carcosa. Even his name sounds like a character in a Lovecraft story.

Add in Lovecraftian elements like sacrifices to forgotten gods, humans melding/mating with higher forces to become/birth something else (what the killer believes he’s becoming), and cults in the Louisiana swamplands (Call of Cthulhu).

All very much grounded in reality without adding any real supernatural elements. And two great leads. Superb television.

Not sure I’ll bother with Series Two and Three given what’s been written on here about them.

Series two was sound. Fuck the haters. It wasn’t as good as the first one but it’s a completely different show. Haven’t got around to the third one yet. 

34 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Yeah, fully agree. The scene where Tony gets whacked with a Steak from Gloria or whatever her name was just added to the hilarity of Paulie and  Chris in the woods. You could tell that Steve Buschemi Directed that particular episode. You could actually string that episode out and make it into a film. Amazing TV and this was back in 2001. 

Is it the same season where Tony kills the buscemi Tony? I always remember the music around that shooting, that was just genius, as you'd never think to place it there. It was a van Morrison track if I recall, maybe Glad Tidings. It was just brilliant. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Haha. Yeah, I guess I see that. The ending was a bit of a cop out. I did like the idea behind the 'friends becoming sexually attracted to each other on top of their relationship that is already there' type of thing. Maybe I just want to VR bang my mates. 

‘Captain Turdseye is Online’

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

True Detective is a funny one. Series 1 is really good but nowhere near as good as it's cracked up to be, series 2 nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be, and series 3 still somewhere in-between.

Vince Vaughan can't act for shit.

Mostly agree, S1 was innovative but also a bit pretentious and had some completely unnecessary parts (the bikers episode), S2 was mostly trashed since it didn't and couldn't leave up to expectations, but I remember it as a more or less enjoyable watch with some silly elements, S3 was really a struggle to finish, turned into o proper chore.

19 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

Is it the same season where Tony kills the buscemi Tony? I always remember the music around that shooting, that was just genius, as you'd never think to place it there. It was a van Morrison track if I recall, maybe Glad Tidings. It was just brilliant. 

Pine barrens is season 3, that episode is series 5. And yeah it was glad tidings

Guest Pistonbroke

Just watched the first three episodes (six in total) of 'Good Omens' on Amazon Prime. It's based on the novel by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. I'm a big fan of Pratchett so I was always going to like this, but I'm more than impressed so far. Great acting, especially the chemistry between the two lead characters played by David Tennant and  Michael Sheen. The humour comes across well without being forced. Massive thumbs up from myself, and if like myself you like Pratchett then you'll want to get on this. For those who don't have Prime it is also due to be on BBC2 in a weekly slot, although I don#t know the dates it will be aired. 

49 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Like... really excellent. It’s an excellent show. Hope it goes the full five seasons. 

It’s already been renewed for a fifth season hasn’t it?

I’m on episode nine of season four now. Absolute quality.

Anyone watched Succession? I keep on seeing that compared to Billions.