You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

On 10/11/2018 at 4:39 PM, Elite said:

Isnt Plex just a media centre. Do you use Torrents for the actually shows/ movies?

Pretty much. I've had plex for years. I keep my library and can use it to sync to my laptop for when I travel. I think there's fellas out there who share their library though and have pretty much every movie and TV show ever, so it's like netflix on steroids. You used to see them for sale all over ebay and amazon, but I'm not sure it's so open now. 

43 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Pretty much. I've had plex for years. I keep my library and can use it to sync to my laptop for when I travel. I think there's fellas out there who share their library though and have pretty much every movie and TV show ever, so it's like netflix on steroids. You used to see them for sale all over ebay and amazon, but I'm not sure it's so open now. 

Yeah, it’s all over reddit now. People are buying space in massive server centres and selling access for a few quid per month. 

1 minute ago, manwiththestick said:

The haunting of Hill house. Three episodes in and it's a solid 7/10 so far. Was apprehensive at first as I thought it would be another poor Netflix offering that just pops into their library with little fanfare but seen I lot of positive reviews so thought I'd give it a go. Pleasantly surprised.

I look forward to giving this a go. I like spooky tales that go bump in the night. 

1 hour ago, manwiththestick said:

The haunting of Hill house. Three episodes in and it's a solid 7/10 so far. Was apprehensive at first as I thought it would be another poor Netflix offering that just pops into their library with little fanfare but seen I lot of positive reviews so thought I'd give it a go. Pleasantly surprised.

Another poor Netflix offering? Their films are shite but in general their TV shows are boss. 

6 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Another poor Netflix offering? Their films are shite but in general their TV shows are boss. 

Perhaps the wrong choice of words. I agree that generally their TV shows are very good, I can't think of a film release that i have thought of anything other than average (yet to see Hold the dark and Apostle, but hoping one of them will be decent).

8 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Perhaps the wrong choice of words. I agree that generally their TV shows are very good, I can't think of a film release that i have thought of anything other than average (yet to see Hold the dark and Apostle, but hoping one of them will be decent).

Yeah, for some strange reason they can’t make a decent movie. Considering the consistently high quality of TV, it’s strange. 

18 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’m going to start negging non-Americans for calling films “movies” and television series “seasons”, because I’m a miserable sod.

Season is better than series. Otherwise you have to go TV programme > Series > Episode. A series is really just the entire show. 

26 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, for some strange reason they can’t make a decent movie. Considering the consistently high quality of TV, it’s strange. 

Not necessarily. I think it is still difficult to attract best people and best ideas for a Netflix original film, and I don't think they don't make as a studio / company just commission them or fund them. Also it's no secret they believe they must position themselves as content providers before the established content providers launch their own distribution platforms or the new technology comes along and disrupts their model. So there still must be a lot of rushed projects.

Come to think of it, of Netflix original TV, none of my favourite programmes are theirs, I liked a couple of their documentaries, but generally, it used to be when you see it was their original drama, it was something half-baked or just mediocre with strong PR. I'd say they are probably getting better, because it really used to feel like that joke form South Park. I'm now struggling to like Bojack Horseman which several people recommended, I am still on S1 but you can already see this was greenlit with very little and may or may not find its feet, which was a typical Netflix approach five or so years ago when I think BH began.

30 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’m going to start negging non-Americans for calling films “movies” and television series “seasons”, because I’m a miserable sod.

Yeah, like, calling a TV show a season? Eeeeuuuuuuuwwwwwww

4 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Not necessarily. I think it is still difficult to attract best people and best ideas for a Netflix original film, and I don't think they don't make as a studio / company just commission them or fund them. Also it's no secret they believe they must position themselves as content providers before the established content providers launch their own distribution platforms or the new technology comes along and disrupts their model. So there still must be a lot of rushed projects.

Come to think of it, of Netflix original TV, none of my favourite programmes are theirs, I liked a couple of their documentaries, but generally, it used to be when you see it was their original drama, it was something half-baked or just mediocre with strong PR. I'd say they are probably getting better, because it really used to feel like that joke form South Park. I'm now struggling to like Bojack Horseman which several people recommended, I am still on S1 but you can already see this was greenlit with very little and may or may not find its feet, which was a typical Netflix approach five or so years ago when I think BH began.

I disagree. Their TV has been strong. Whether you or I have a subjective interest in it doesn’t matter to the general self chess and reviews of their original content. Like, really, the hit rate is almost unbelievable. There’s a full list on reddit with their IMDb rating next to it. I won’t list them all here but it’s quite impressive to churn out hit after hit. 

22 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I disagree. Their TV has been strong. Whether you or I have a subjective interest in it doesn’t matter to the general self chess and reviews of their original content. Like, really, the hit rate is almost unbelievable. There’s a full list on reddit with their IMDb rating next to it. I won’t list them all here but it’s quite impressive to churn out hit after hit. 

Don't quite understand which part you disagree with, I am not denying the fact Netflix has been very commercially successful, they have a different position when it comes to TV and film, they are a prestigious platform to work with / for on TV, but not when it comes to film, because Netflix original in films still carries the stigma of straight to video / DVD, as many have remarked.

4 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Don't quite understand which part you disagree with

This part, really. 

34 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Come to think of it, of Netflix original TV [...] generally, it used to be when you see it was their original drama, it was something half-baked or just mediocre with strong PR

I disagree that's the case. 

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Season is better than series. Otherwise you have to go TV programme > Series > Episode. A series is really just the entire show. 

Series and season are interchangeable.

Line of Duty: Series 1, Episode 1

Fargo: Season 1, Episode 1

or

Line of Duty: Season 1, Episode 1

Fargo: Series 1, Episode 1

Series sounds better than season, in my opinion. Probably because it’s what I’m most familiar with.