You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Peaky Blinders - 4/10.

I keep trying to find something to like in there but it's no good. It's got high production values, but it just distracts momentarily from the directing and writing, both of which set my teeth on edge. Over use of slow-mo to cover up for a lack of craft and absurdly macho characters as deep as a puddle of spit. It's like they've given a major production to a film student with a hard on for hipster vintage clothes and derivative gangster films. Can't believe some people mention it in the same breath as the American crime fiction shows of HBO.

• Upvote 7

Peaky Blinders - 4/10.

I keep trying to find something to like in there but it's no good. It's got high production values, but it just distracts momentarily from the directing and writing, both of which set my teeth on edge. Over use of slow-mo to cover up for a lack of craft and absurdly macho characters as deep as a puddle of spit. It's like they've given a major production to a film student with a hard on for hipster vintage clothes and derivative gangster films. Can't believe some people mention it in the same breath as the American crime fiction shows of HBO.

I'm surprised you've scored it so high it really is fucking awful , and the way they crammed so much into the last episode it makes me wish they'd have done the whole series in 90 minutes....

• Upvote 2

I saw a few minutes of A League of Their Own the other day.

A bunch of 40 year-olds engaging in "bantz", like some sort of cross between Top Gear and Soccer AM. This is about as bad as television gets.

Yeah it's shite. Plus it has (had?) the biggest cunt in TV presenting it.

I saw a few minutes of A League of Their Own the other day.

A bunch of 40 year-olds engaging in "bantz", like some sort of cross between Top Gear and Soccer AM. This is about as bad as television gets.

I switched over to it last week and ended up sitting there seething, my mood darkening with hatred, yet unable and strangely unwilling to change channel to something vaguely dignified. Self-abuse comes in many forms.

• Upvote 2

Been watching a Netflix real crime documentary called The Keepers.

It's got a bit of a Making A Murderer vibe about it, but different subject matter/slant.

A cross over look at child abuse allegations in the Catholic Church in Baltimore in the 1960's and the murder of a young nun who was reportedly about to blow the whistle on the abusers.

I've got one episode left to watch.

It's very good. 9 out of 10, so far.

• Upvote 1

It's got a bit of a Making A Murderer vibe about it, but different subject matter/slant.

A cross over look at child abuse allegations in the Catholic Church in Baltimore in the 1960's and the murder of a young nun who was reportedly about to blow the whistle on the abusers.

Sounds really interesting. Cheers.

Repped.

One for Rico, that. It had me spitting feathers.

Dark was fantastic. Thematically, a great mix of Lost, Stranger Things and Carnivale with plenty of family drama thrown in for good measure.

However.....

When 11-year old Mikkel went back to 1986, would it not be the case that there were two versions of him in Winden after his 'birth' from sometime around 2006 onwards? Was this oddity or plot hole ever explained properly?

Dark was fantastic. Thematically, a great mix of Lost, Stranger Things and Carnivale with plenty of family drama thrown in for good measure.

However.....

When 11-year old Mikkel went back to 1986, would it not be the case that there were two versions of him in Winden after his 'birth' from sometime around 2006 onwards? Was this oddity or plot hole ever explained properly?

They would have been yes but I don't see it as a plot hole. Especially when

Older Jonas is interacting with younger Jonas throughout. It wouldn't be a Timecop style time travel where you couldn't occupy the same space as yourself from a different timeline.

They would have been yes but I don't see it as a plot hole. Especially when

Older Jonas is interacting with younger Jonas throughout. It wouldn't be a Timecop style time travel where you couldn't occupy the same space as yourself from a different timeline.

Interesting take. Anyway, it was hugely enjoyable and a bit of a brain workout at the same time. No doubt there'll be a dreadful American remake.