You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

9 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Really? You wouldn't have thought it would be any more significant than most office based dramas would you? It's not like they've built a promonade or something like they did with boardwalk. I wonder if the costs are on the talent? 

I’d imagine the CGI and large cast cost a fair bit. I also think I read that Amazon originally had only ordered 3 seasons so to order more would have to increase rates for licences etc too but I might be wrong on that. Mad how this fantastic show which they have barely marketed is too expensive but they are fine on spending money on absolute rubbish like wheel of time. 

12 hours ago, skend04 said:

Agreed with how good it was. Setting up the future storylines has left me wanting more but I read it's really expensive to produce so I might have to buy the final 3 books to see what happens.

It left so many open sub storylines. I thought about getting the books but apparently they merged a lot of characters and made others significantly different that buying the last 3 books would be confusing on their own. Not sure I can commit to a 10 book series just yet.

Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing 

Just catching up on series 4, and it continues to be an absolute delight. It's rare to see such warm, good-hearted friendship laid open for all to see. At times poignant, thoughtful, but never maudlin, it's the best thing on the telly. The shots of the countryside, without a voice over, are idyllic. 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

What are they saying about it? 

Not keen on Freeman or his accent , and said it shines a poor light on Liverpool making it look like a shithole and seeming to suggest that everybody here is a gangster , a druggie , a psychopath or an amalgam of all three. 

On 24/01/2022 at 01:29, Barrington Womble said:

Having spent the last week in hospital with no visitors, I'd taken my laptop and thought I would smash box set after box set. But the drugs were strong and my ability to watch anything I had to remember was not great! In a few lucid bits and since I got home I managed Dopesick - which was quite ironic considering Oxy was in my hospital cocktail (in fact still is, but my overall cocktail is now weaker, so I can concentrate). I thought it was absolutely brilliant. It's really difficult to pick any individual performances, it was just everything you want in these types of show. 9/10

Hope the treatment went well mate.

49 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Not Helen, you mean Wendy?

Aye, Wendy is the annoying one. I liked the character Helen.

Wendy's face when she was enjoying Sam Cooke's voice in the car at the very start of the series, imagine someone made that face when they were listening to music. You'd have to put an anvil through it.

The Decade The Rich Won 8/10

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0013xch

First episode detailing the run up and fall out from the 2008/9 financial crisis up to the dreaded Brexit referendum. 

Interviews with the main players, and some great insight from the traders at various banks. 

https://connect.open.ac.uk/money-business-and-law/the-decade-the-rich-won/

Edited by Kepler-186
Extra link

On 25/01/2022 at 16:22, sir roger said:

Not keen on Freeman or his accent , and said it shines a poor light on Liverpool making it look like a shithole and seeming to suggest that everybody here is a gangster , a druggie , a psychopath or an amalgam of all three. 

I saw one episode and thought very much the same, to be honest i was only watching to see if i could recognise anywhere, which i didnt probably because it was shot in St Helens, Everton and Lark Lane i believe and mostly at night. 

I’ve not seen it. I’ve always been impressed by Freeman when I’ve seen him in things. Accents in film and television that aren’t spot on don’t really bother me.

It’s fictional, isn’t it? You could the same about plenty of films and television programmes set in just about any city.

21 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’ve not seen it. I’ve always been impressed by Freeman when I’ve seen him in things. Accents in film and television that aren’t spot on don’t really bother me.

It’s fictional, isn’t it? You could the same about plenty of films and television programmes set in just about any city.

Thing is though Tony,why not just use a local actor if you want a scouser? I dont think I've ever heard a decent scouse accent from an outsider that I can remember.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Fictional it is yes, but don't they try to portray a grim reality in these type of shows?, but there is plenty of other shows in the same vein about other places.

Midsomer Murders. 

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Thing is though Tony,why not just use a local actor if you want a scouser? I dont think I've ever heard a decent scouse accent from an outsider that I can remember.

I don’t know. Availability, preference for working with certain actors, perhaps. An actor’s job is to portray someone other than themselves, though, isn’t it. It happens all the time, not every actor who plays a Manc in Coronation Street is from Manchester, not every actor who plays a Cockney in Eastenders is from London.

14 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I don’t know. Availability, preference for working with certain actors, perhaps. An actor’s job is to portray someone other than themselves, though, isn’t it. It happens all the time, not every actor who plays a Manc in Coronation Street is from Manchester, not every actor who plays a Cockney in Eastenders is from London.

I don't think those accents are difficult to imitate well though,a proper Liverpool accent is difficult to replicate,it seems.

As someone who has lived here my whole life I can say with certainty that it is categorically only slightly true.

Anne. 10/10.

Finally built myself to watch this and as expected shed a load of tears.

The biggest tear jerking memory for me was the 20th anniversary "Justice" singing. Proud to have been a part of that.

Don't think there was anything new that I didn't know,  just one Mothers love.

You only get one, cherish them with all the love you have(even if at times it's tough)

Anne's story had to be told. 

• Upvote 4

I'm sure i put on here about Storyville last night, it was really good, interviewing old Wehrmacht and Waffen SS, some not so sorry but mad how they were recruited as young as 6 to be in what seemed to be like an innocent boys club plus the girls one only to reach 14 when you entered Hitler Youth where things became more sinister, very good as Storyville usually is.

Later on there was a programme about Mick Ronson which was also good and quite sad at the end, i knew he was involved in quite a few albums but not in such  high demand,a boss guitarist. 

Who would of thought that Bowie and the Spiders from Mars where only together for 18 months, it seemed like much longer as a kid in school. 

• Upvote 3