You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I’m really enjoying The Right Stuff. In fact the whole family is, which has surprised me as my 16 year old daughter is all-in on it.

I love the film and was very dubious that there was any point to re-doing it as a TV series. I was completely wrong though. The depth of the story, range of characters and scale of the drama all go beyond the film which, in this context, now feels like a wonderful oil painting of an event next to the series’ novelisation of the same. 

The one thing I had doubts about in the first three episodes was the casting as the film performances are iconic in most cases. However, as I finished watching last night’s fourth episode I realised I’d stopped comparing and have now started seeing these actors as the characters. 

This show is so good, it’s starting to justify the Mad Men comparisons in my view. And I’ve even accepted the fact that they’ve apparently ditched the entire Chuck Yeager storyline. Highly enjoyable telly. Check it out. 

6 minutes ago, Paul said:

I’m really enjoying The Right Stuff. In fact the whole family is, which has surprised me as my 16 year old daughter is all-in on it.

I love the film and was very dubious that there was any point to re-doing it as a TV series. I was completely wrong though. The depth of the story, range of characters and scale of the drama all go beyond the film which, in this context, now feels like a wonderful oil painting of an event next to the series’ novelisation of the same. 

The one thing I had doubts about in the first three episodes was the casting as the film performances are iconic in most cases. However, as I finished watching last night’s fourth episode I realised I’d stopped comparing and have now started seeing these actors as the characters. 

This show is so good, it’s starting to justify the Mad Men comparisons in my view. And I’ve even accepted the fact that they’ve apparently ditched the entire Chuck Yeager storyline. Highly enjoyable telly. Check it out. 

Just googled that but it has a low rating on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes.

52 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Started watching Hell on Wheels last night. Three episodes in and it's pretty good so far, anyone watched this, don't want spoilers but is it worth watching five seasons?

I really enjoyed it, but season by season it got more mental. I stuck it for the 5 seasons and glad I did, but I know a few who blew it out after around 3. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Anyone watching the new season of Fargo? I just can't get into it. Episode 1 was ok, but I've watched the 1st 15 mins of episode 2 about 3 or 4 times as I can't follow it as it doesn't hold my attention. 

Just finished episode 6 and fuck me it's hard work. I think I'm ducking out.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I missed the first couple of episodes but thought I'd give channel 4s The Bridge a go last night. 

Gave up after the first minute.

The sister in law recommended it but we watched one episode and struggled to find a single sympathetic contestant. 

Do we have a radio thread? Or maybe this should go into the podcasts one .

Anyway, I'm going through the last season of the News Quiz and after the panel show going somewhat stale over the past few years find it surprisingly excellent, mostly thanks to Andy Zaltzman who is in the chair this season. He must be the most underrated British comedian, I remember regularly listening to that podcast he did with John Oliver before Oliver made it big in the US which was also great and I had an impression. hugely underrated.

The end. Back to TV.

• Upvote 1

The Haunting of Bly Manor has shonky accents and scenes from England as realistic as the time that Sons of Anarchy went to 'Ireland' and went no further than Southern California. Takes me right out of the story when I see Vancouver failing to look like Britain and accents that struggle to sound like anything approaching English.

"Let's get Carla Gugino to narrate with an English accent" - Genius, lads. Have another series.

• Upvote 3