You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

37 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Mrs. America.

Started this last night, it was recommended by my Mother.  

Portrait of an interesting time and certainly has a very strong cast. Interesting to note the similarities between some of the rhetoric of those resistant to the women’s movement, of the time, and that we hear from the ‘all lives matter’ brigade today.

Cate Blanchett would definitely not be out of place in the MILF thread which may be a tad out of sync with the point of the programme.

7.5/10 for the programme.

7.8/10 for Cate. 

I thought that the whole thing was superb 9.5/10.

Actually objectifying Cate Blanchett  is what Phyllis Schlafly would have wanted.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Currently watching Manhunt: The Raoul Moat story. Having memories of the thread on here which had running commentary that went mental when Gazza made an appearance.

What was that on? Saw him trending last night. 

On 02/07/2020 at 06:08, Paul said:

Started watching Dave last night and then rattled through the first five. It’s brilliant; funny as fuck. 

Seconded, we've watched 6 so far. It's hilarious but I also like how they deal with issues such as sex and mental health. Thanks for the heads up.

1 minute ago, Karl_b said:

Seconded, we've watched 6 so far. It's hilarious but I also like how they deal with issues such as sex and mental health. Thanks for the heads up.

It’s actually my favourite new series. It’s the funniest thing I e watched since Sunny. It’s absolutely brilliant. American comedy has come a long way since generic laughter tracks and cheap laughs in Friends and the like. Sunny and DAVE are right up there. 

20 hours ago, Karl_b said:

We finished it last night and the last episode was fucking brilliant. He’s genuinely talented. 

I also want to give I May Destroy You another shout. With two episodes to go, it is absolutely compelling. I have to say that watching it makes me feel the generational difference like nothing else I’ve ever seen. The attitudes to sex feel so far removed from what seems familiar to me. I think some of it is a London thing, but I deffo feel my age watching this. 

That said, the way she deals with issues of consent is absolutely fascinating. It is such a nuanced issue and yet she handles it without seeming preachy. In fact many of the scenes that raise these issues are incredibly powerful television and it feels like there isn’t a single episode which isn’t heavy hitting in the extreme.

I can’t wait for the last two episodes this week as it is right up there with some of the best new drama I’ve seen in years and years. Certainly Michaela Coel is an absolutely incredible talent, both as a writer and a performer.

• Upvote 1

Warrior Nun - 3/10. Netflix TV dud. Annoying lead character. Raises interesting issues with a few sentences which are then dismissed and never explored. Slow moving and only introduces some interesting plotting from episode six/seven onwards. Shit and unimaginative demons. Did I mention an annoying lead character? Beautiful location work though. I won’t be back for a second series, if there ever is one.

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Warrior Nun - 3/10. Netflix TV dud. Annoying lead character. Raises interesting issues with a few sentences which are then dismissed and never explored. Slow moving and only introduces some interesting plotting from episode six/seven onwards. Shit and unimaginative demons. Did I mention an annoying lead character? Beautiful location work though. I won’t be back for a second series, if there ever is one.

All sounds pretty standard for the stuff Netflix puts out.

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

I find it hard to believe that anybody expected much from a film called 'Warrior Nun!'

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
2 hours ago, Anubis said:

I binned it after 2 and a half episodes. It could have been pretty good if they kept it dark and serious. Instead it was shoved out there without a true identity of what audience it was aiming for. Plus as you say, the lines/role they gave the lead character made her annoying, especially the shit humour. It was based on a Canadian comic strip, so not sure how they followed things, although the lead Character was added for the TV series.

3/10 is about right. 

----------

Jessica Jones. Another one I binned, although I did manage to conclude the first series. Not a great attempt by Marvel. I also found the lead character annoying. 4/10

---------

Russian Doll on Netflix. Offbeat dark comedy. Quite enjoyed this, a weird yet captivating story which is quite hilarious at times if you like dark comedy. 7.5/10

--------

5 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

I binned it after 2 and a half episodes. It could have been pretty good if they kept it dark and serious. Instead it was shoved out there without a true identity of what audience it was aiming for. Plus as you say, the lines/role they gave the lead character made her annoying, especially the shit humour. It was based on a Canadian comic strip, so not sure how they followed things, although the lead Character was added for the TV series.

3/10 is about right. 

----------

Jessica Jones. Another one I binned, although I did manage to conclude the first series. Not a great attempt by Marvel. I also found the lead character annoying. 4/10

---------

Russian Doll on Netflix. Offbeat dark comedy. Quite enjoyed this, a weird yet captivating story which is quite hilarious at times if you like dark comedy. 7.5/10

--------

Russian Doll was excellent.

Little fires everywhere, 9/10.

Not the kind of thing I'd normally watch but watched it with the Mrs after she'd seen it on Gogglebox.

About a single black mum who goes to live in this American stepford type town and the relationship between her and her daughter and this posh white family who she rents her flat from.

Even though she's a wanderer she's actually a wealthy artist and the town is her latest project.

It's fantastically written and relevant to BLM, suburbia, the American dream. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, skend04 said:

There's a second series due soon.

5 hours ago, Elite said:

Not sure where they'll go with Russian doll if I'm honest.

I enjoyed it though.

Ah crap. I really enjoyed the first and what-should-have-been-only series. Just leave it as it is, and let the writers create something new.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Ah crap. I really enjoyed the first and what-should-have-been-only series. Just leave it as it is, and let the writers create something new.

There's very little out to say what the story is or if the same cast will be in the next season. Will just have to see what comes of it.

Dark - just watched the 1st episode of series 3 and this seems to have gone to shit. I’m praying they don’t ruin what was a great series up till the last 2 episodes of series 2. Why not just let the story continue from series 1.