You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Finished The Morning Show last night and it really is great telly. Absolutely loads of machinations, undercurrents, twists and turns that are very subtly written and performed. Gets to the heart of all the #MeToo stuff brilliantly and is really entertaining. The cast is universally superb too, but Billy Crudup is especially fantastic. This is easily 9/10 telly with the potential to go higher in future seasons. 

• Upvote 3

Just put Ninja Warrior on, not seen it for a while but the contestants are pissing the semi-final course, even doing backflips off the obstacles. The final course will be a lot harder but one of this lot will definitely complete it this year.

7 hours ago, Paul said:

Finished The Morning Show last night and it really is great telly. Absolutely loads of machinations, undercurrents, twists and turns that are very subtly written and performed. Gets to the heart of all the #MeToo stuff brilliantly and is really entertaining. The cast is universally superb too, but Billy Crudup is especially fantastic. This is easily 9/10 telly with the potential to go higher in future seasons. 

Wasn't going to bother with that but you've convinced me.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Elite said:

Just put Ninja Warrior on, not seen it for a while but the contestants are pissing the semi-final course, even doing backflips off the obstacles. The final course will be a lot harder but one of this lot will definitely complete it this year.

I’ve watched it most weeks (fucking lockdown) and I think it’s a repeat of last year’s one. They constantly refer to it as the 2019 competition. 

19 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’ve watched it most weeks (fucking lockdown) and I think it’s a repeat of last year’s one. They constantly refer to it as the 2019 competition. 

You're right. Luckily I didn't watch it last year.

5 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I'm with Paul on this. It was one of the best shows of 2019 and I was surprised it didn't do better at the awards. 

It doesn't look very interesting from the trailers and never gets a mention on this thread which is pretty much spot on.

Upload- 5.5/10. Strangely paced and uneven series, a bit like Black Mirror crossed with The Good Place. The first few were pretty slow, it then seemed to find its feet and there were some really funny and entertaining episodes, then they killed it with an absolute duffer of a final episode which felt like it ended way too early.

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

Upload- 5.5/10. Strangely paced and uneven series, a bit like Black Mirror crossed with The Good Place. The first few were pretty slow, it then seemed to find its feet and there were some really funny and entertaining episodes, then they killed it with an absolute duffer of a final episode which felt like it ended way too early.

Agree with all that, some funny bits but just ran out of ideas. Must say that the main character's blond girlfriend is hot.

Just now, manwiththestick said:

Agree with all that, some funny bits but just ran out of ideas. Must say that the main character's blond girlfriend is hot.

Yep, sensational legs. His handler was pretty fine too, shame she wore baggy tops through most of it.

4 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Yeah, pretty much this. I watched it with my lad, so it was easy watching fluff that wasn’t really a chore. Sexy blonde. 

3 hours ago, Mudface said:

I'd probably give it more than 5.5, but what was going on with the ending? I wondered if there were more episodes due to land after lockdown! It seems not. 

10 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I'd probably give it more than 5.5, but what was going on with the ending? I wondered if there were more episodes due to land after lockdown! It seems not. 

Yeah exactly, it was also considerably shorter than most of the other episodes. I didn't expect it to be wrapped up within a single series (they never are these days), but finishing as it did was really odd. Looking at Wikipedia, it was shot last year and was recommissioned for another series a week after this one was released- maybe they just didn't have faith in it and shoved it out? 

13 hours ago, Elite said:

Wasn't going to bother with that but you've convinced me.

Nice one. Hope you enjoy it.

It reminds me of The West Wing in terms of the way it’s based around a cut-throat work place full of high achievers and has loads of great one-liners. It goes much lighter on the schmaltz than TWW though, except when the presenters are on camera and then they switch into that syrupy US TV mode which comes across as satirical here.  

11 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

Watching season 2 of after life at the moment. What a depressing show. I know some people love it, but I just find it truly depressing and want to crack Gervais and tell him to pack it in. 

Interesting. I actually see it as the opposite. Obviously it’s very dark in places, but to me, ultimately, it’s actually about appreciating life and treating other people the right way. Plus it’s piss yourself funny, much of the time. 

9 hours ago, Mudface said:

Yeah exactly, it was also considerably shorter than most of the other episodes. I didn't expect it to be wrapped up within a single series (they never are these days), but finishing as it did was really odd. Looking at Wikipedia, it was shot last year and was recommissioned for another series a week after this one was released- maybe they just didn't have faith in it and shoved it out? 

Maybe. It's a shame I think as it's a nice premise and I thought half decent through the show, as I said I'd have given it more than the 5.5 despite the end (which is as bad an ending as I can remember). Hopefully with a bit more faith, season 2 will step up. 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Interesting. I actually see it as the opposite. Obviously it’s very dark in places, but to me, ultimately, it’s actually about appreciating life and treating other people the right way. Plus it’s piss yourself funny, much of the time. 

I feel when watching it, Gervais is just a horrible dark hole, the immediate characters around him are relatively normal, but ultimately dull and uninteresting characters. Then there's a load of random characters (like the psychiatrist) who are just too unbelievable even for a comedy, so I don't find them funny at all. Every time Gervais walks to that bench at the grave, I just think "oh fuck off" and I want to fast forward. I'm not really sure why I've given it 2 seasons. The first season I thought was ok, but I was hoping this one would be lighter, but it's been dark enough I won't watch season 3. Life is depressing enough! 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Every time Gervais walks to that bench at the grave, I just think "oh fuck off" and I want to fast forward. 

I was like that when he watches old videos of his wife on the laptop too. Almost unwatchable.

• Upvote 1