You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Dead To Me- I nearly gave up after the first ten minutes, but I'm so glad I didn't. Looks like Lucy Mangan at the Guardian did just that judging by her 2 star Guardian review of it- she also gave Chernobyl a shit review because she was confused about who was who in the first episode...

Anyway, this is actually really good. There are quite a few 'weepy' scenes which don't hit anywhere near as hard as After Life (Californian women bonding, it just seems so fake), but they're well balanced by some great black comedy and some excellent cliff hangers at the end of just about every episode. The escalating efforts to try and hide stuff actually reminded me a bit of prime Dexter.

Series 1- 7.5/10

Series 2- 8/10 (would've been 9 but for the twin bit which was a bit daft. The whole premise of the series is unreliable narrators,. But they were unreliable in terms of situations, just introducing a new character who hadn't been mentioned before is a bit naughty. Guess they didn't think they'd get a second series).

23 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Are these all comedies? I like F is for Family and found it an easy watch but what about the others?

Working Moms and the Let Down are part comedy and part drama.

Mrs. America is an amazing piece of TV. Cate Blanchett is very good as Phylis Schlafly. Set during the 1970s and 2nd Wave Feminism and the her attempt to thwart the ERA (Equal Rights Amendment). She was a failed republican politician who latched onto the anti-feminist homemaker (moral majority) cause to make herself important. To have greater impact and to frustrate the ratification of the ERA she enlisted the support of all manner of dubious groups (links to KKK) and the Christian right. This changed the face of the republican party which from that moment on was always in hoc to the Christian right and hence any republican leader has to bend to them (George W Bush, Donald Trump) etc. It is amazing good

11 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Got well into Mr Robot now.

Jaw-dropping in many ways, the storylines, the direction, the music, the editing, am very impressed with Sam Esmail.

First season I found pedestrian, but has gone through the roof since then. Rediculously watchable.  

I gave up on that in the second season. I found it incomprehensible and boring as fuck.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I gave up on that in the second season. I found it incomprehensible and boring as fuck.

I find it fascinating because it must have been commissioned as a set of seasons together, not just one season at a time.  It makes zero sense if you just watch season 1, or season 2, without also watching seasons 3 and 4.  Which has given Sam Esmail a tremendous amount of creative license.   

Obviously it was an Amazon series, so I guess they looked at it from the long-game point of view and green-lit it on the basis of a 4 season run, or perhaps 5.  

I had moments of doubt, but the longer you watch, the more you get rewarded.  Yeah, season 2, what the fuck was that about, basketball courts, the big black dude, why is Elliott there doing that?  And then you find out at the end, and you go "shiiiiiiiit, that's cool".

Guest Pistonbroke
15 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Two episodes into White lines on netflix , terrible, that's enough of that.

Just finished SOA for the third time, it actually improves each time 8.5/10.

That White Lines was terrible, I only managed the one episode.

SOA is brilliant, probably one of the best soundtracks for a TV show IMO. I tried to get into that 'Mayans' thereafter but struggled with it. 

15 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

That White Lines was terrible, I only managed the one episode.

SOA is brilliant, probably one of the best soundtracks for a TV show IMO. I tried to get into that 'Mayans' thereafter but struggled with it. 

I love it even though it gets proper far fetched half way through. The soundtrack though is absolutely superb. I reckon I used Shazam on average twice an episode. I had an SOA playlist on my spotify but deleted it in a fit of rage when Gemma killed Tara 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

I love it even though it gets proper far fetched half way through. The soundtrack though is absolutely superb. I reckon I used Shazam on average twice an episode. I had an SOA playlist on my spotify but deleted it in a fit of rage when Gemma killed Tara 

I just googled 'SOA Soundtrack' and downloaded the majority on Spotify. I had the added advantage of Binge watching it after it had finished airing. I get what you mean about becoming far fetched but most shows have a touch of that. It would easily make my top 10 of TV shows though. 

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I find it fascinating because it must have been commissioned as a set of seasons together, not just one season at a time.  It makes zero sense if you just watch season 1, or season 2, without also watching seasons 3 and 4.  Which has given Sam Esmail a tremendous amount of creative license.   

Obviously it was an Amazon series, so I guess they looked at it from the long-game point of view and green-lit it on the basis of a 4 season run, or perhaps 5.  

I had moments of doubt, but the longer you watch, the more you get rewarded.  Yeah, season 2, what the fuck was that about, basketball courts, the big black dude, why is Elliott there doing that?  And then you find out at the end, and you go "shiiiiiiiit, that's cool".

Mr. Robot was one of Amazon's?

13 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Got well into Mr Robot now.

Jaw-dropping in many ways, the storylines, the direction, the music, the editing, am very impressed with Sam Esmail.

First season I found pedestrian, but has gone through the roof since then. Rediculously watchable.  

Been meaning to give that another go for a while. Enjoyed the first season but stopped watching after season 2 got panned.

49 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

The Mire

Polish-language murder mystery, set in the '80s.

By-the-numbers, but I enjoyed it. 

7 of 10

Is it a who-dun-it or why-they-dun-it?

What’s The Matter With Tony Slattery? was pretty powerful stuff as he allowed the cameras to see his attempts to diagnose his severe mental health and addiction issues.

Also watched Climbing Blind about a lad who led a climb on The Old Man Of Hoy with his missus in tow. Only catch is that he’s blind. Mad. As. Fuck.