You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Guest Pistonbroke
On 13/05/2020 at 22:55, Carvalho Diablo said:

Finished the 10 part The Vietnam War. One of the most incredible things I've ever watched.

10/10

Thanks to your good self and others for the nod on this. 4 episodes in so far and it really is captivating. Highlights how many mistakes were made from the various presidents and military leaders, arrogance personified and putting their re-election before the lives of their military personnel. The Yanks have never been good at this War planning, they just throw as much air and naval power at things and hope the sheer numbers they put on the ground can sweep up the enemy. Apart from Granada which was a small conflict they really struggle to do things right unless they have allies working together with them. 

39 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Thanks to your good self and others for the nod on this. 4 episodes in so far and it really is captivating. Highlights how many mistakes were made from the various presidents and military leaders, arrogance personified and putting their re-election before the lives of their military personnel. The Yanks have never been good at this War planning, they just throw as much air and naval power at things and hope the sheer numbers they put on the ground can sweep up the enemy. Apart from Granada which was a small conflict they really struggle to do things right unless they have allies working together with them. 

Pleased you're enjoying it mate.

The recollections, interviews and footage is all so raw and heartfelt, immediate, it really felt like I was in touching distance of history. A humbling sensation, a feeling that only the very best film making can evoke.

As I mentioned I missed it a few years ago due to the time it was on after a few, I watched it all a few weeks ago and yes it was superb viewing. 

On a different subject the same Ken Burns has his acclaimed Country Music Documentary on tonight, missed it last time for the same reasons, though did see the first two episodes about its beginnings, so look forward to the later eras, not much into the modern era though. 

Some great film of the times in it. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Pleased you're enjoying it mate.

The recollections, interviews and footage is all so raw and heartfelt, immediate, it really felt like I was in touching distance of history. A humbling sensation, a feeling that only the very best film making can evoke.

Agree fully, love how they are portraying the bloody side of war from all sides. My only criticism, and it really is a small one, is how they put subtitles up when the South and North Vietnamese Officers/soldiers are talking in English and it is clear enough what they are saying. If two sentences summed things up so far it was the following ones, 'It is very hard to dispel ignorance if you retain arrogance' and 'There are no winners or losers in War, the winners and losers mentality is only discussed by those who have never served' or similar words to those. 

On 08/05/2020 at 11:07, VladimirIlyich said:

He was very famous until his death about 25 years ago.

Just watch a documentary about him, his legacy of teachers and how he and his programmes touch people many years later, me for one, in some ways it's not to bad if you've missed something as it becomes something new to enjoy, like music sometimes, and fuck me if my eyes didn't well up. 

It's a pity there's not more people like him in this cunt world. 

4 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Just watch a documentary about him, his legacy of teachers and how he and his programmes touch people many years later, me for one, in some ways it's not to bad if you've missed something as it becomes something new to enjoy, like music sometimes, and fuck me if my eyes didn't well up. 

It's a pity there's not more people like him in this cunt world. 

I always remember a similar programme to his called 'Paint Along With Nancy.' I am in awe of people with the ability to draw and paint pictures well. Brilliant imaginations too.

Started a couple of shows over the last few days

Servant: another apple tv show. Fucking weird and I genuinely can't decide if I like it or not. But I think I do. The premise is there's a couple who've lost their baby. To get the mother out of shock, they give her one of those reborn dolls and then act like it's real and then hire a nanny to live with them and look after it. It doesn't get less weird from there. 

Upload: from.amazon. the premise of this one is it's set in the future and there's an app where you can upload your personality and memories for when you die and you can go and "live" there after death. The story is based on the interaction of the people in the app with the people in real life. It's quite light and easy watching, but it's certainly intriguing too. I like it and would give it a 7 so far, but deffo scope for that to go up depending which way it goes. 

3 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I always remember a similar programme to his called 'Paint Along With Nancy.' I am in awe of people with the ability to draw and paint pictures well. Brilliant imaginations too.

Yeah, imagine being able to do that, everything would be much better. 

When you look at the Old Masters for instance, you have to marvel on how they done their work. 

That Dr James Fox has presented a few decent programmes, he makes you interested, like A Very British Renaissance, Art in 3 colours Gold Blue and White. 

Why can't I do that? Bastard. 

54 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Started watching that White Lines on Netflix which is set on Ibiza, two episodes in and it's a bit naff but easy to watch, the acting is not great, the main woman is a bit annoying, can't put my finger on it, it might just be the manc accent. 

Got about half an hour in and turned it off. I’ll go back to it but it was doing my head in 

Bosch 4 + 5: 9/10- it went from entertaining to downright excellent, superb stuff and with a cast of likeable, relatable characters that you actually care about and root for. Superb TV.

Bosch 6: 8/10- bit of a dip, but still completely enthralling. Hope series 7 can be made under the current conditions, but I've now got all the books to go through to keep me going.

Afterlife 2: 9.5/10- I know it's a bit manipulative and quite a few of the scenes are just polemical Gervais, and it's an emotional time anyway, but this was just fantastic. From heart breaking to hilarious in the blink of an eye.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mudface said:

Bosch 4 + 5: 9/10- it went from entertaining to downright excellent, superb stuff and with a cast of likeable, relatable characters that you actually care about and root for. Superb TV.

Bosch 6: 8/10- bit of a dip, but still completely enthralling. Hope series 7 can be made under the current conditions, but I've now got all the books to go through to keep me going.

Afterlife 2: 9.5/10- I know it's a bit manipulative and quite a few of the scenes are just polemical Gervais, and it's an emotional time anyway, but this was just fantastic. From heart breaking to hilarious in the blink of an eye.

Out of interest, what’s your season, 1, 2, and 3 rating for Bosch? You probably posted them but I’m way too lazy to find them. 

19 minutes ago, Paul said:

Watched the first two episodes of The Eddy on Netflix. Absolutely love it. Jazz/crime/Paris-tastic. 

I am looking forward to it as a Chazelle fan, reviews are not that great so far. Which may not mean much any more.