You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

14 hours ago, skend04 said:

I Am Not Okay With This - a mashup of of Stephen King and 80s Brat Pack stuff. An enjoyable and easy watch seeing as the 7 episodes averaged only 29 minutes each. 7/10

I liked it too; an enjoyable, easy watch as you say. The mashup you've described also perfectly encapsulates it. Hope there is a Season 2 as this built up nicely to that.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

What is it? 

Based on a book set in a dystopian Britain with strict race laws, where the black ruling class are the "Crosses" and the white "underclass" are the "noughts." 

It's already had two role reversal scenes off white lads being subject to a stop and search type policy by black police and a rich, black family with a white servant. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Based on a book set in a dystopian Britain with strict race laws, where the black ruling class are the "Crosses" and the white "underclass" are the "noughts." 

It's already had two role reversal scenes off white lads being subject to a stop and search type policy by black police and a rich, black family with a white servant. 

Oooh twitter will be funny then. 

MIGHT BE SPOILERS IF YOU HAVENT SEEN THE EPISODES YET - War of the Worlds, Canal+ on Fox.

Not Martians but aliens from Ross 128b, an actual recently discovered exoplanet a little bigger than Earth although maybe 4 Earth masses, just in its star's habitable zone. At a little over 11 light years away even at Warp 1, it would take them aliens 11 Earth years to get here. A 'year' on Ross 128b is just over 10 days so them fuckers will be ancient by the time they get here.

Unfortunately the first two episodes set the tone with a lack of science applied to it. All we know is a 'signal' is detected and within hours or a couple of days, it isnt really clear, thousands of objects are detected travelling very fast not far from Earth. Now, I thought in the programme they said the objects were travelling at over a 1000km per second then slowed down as they entered the atmosphere but might have been mistaken. But even travelling at that speed, it would take tens of years to get here and the reference to an Aricebo transmission wouldnt fit the story.

So there's a couple of holes off the bat for me, why would an invading fleet give advance warning of its arrival and, they're travelling at sub light speed which means they've been in transit for years so why werent they detected before the signal. There's a couple of other bits as well.

Basically, people havent had time to don the tinfoil hats and, if you're not under ground or in a metal box when the aliens turn up the electro magnetic interference, your brain gets fried. All except for one guy whose taxi ended upside down in a French river and struggling underwater to get out while people on the streets ended up as kebabs.

The daftest bit was a main cast family's efforts to get out of London. Stuck in traffic, they rush into an underground station until the first attack is over. When they come out, the car's engine is fried so decide to walk home. After a time walking, one of the kids says to the ma, 'you're lost and dont know where we are'! The fuck, you were stuck in traffic, hardly moved from your house, went in an underground station and when you come out, you dont know which direction home is, which can only be half a mile away because of the traffic you were stuck in before!

Oh and the ma left her blind daughter with an illegal immigrant who'd been knifed by the owner of a shop he was looting. Meanwhile the ma and her son went outside to have an argument! When the ma went back for her daughter, she found the injured guy holding a gun on her and asking for help. I didnt see that plot line coming!

The military element are the French and their soldiers seem to go around tooled up with guns, body armour but no helmets. So when they come across some mechanoid aliens, guess where the aliens aim for?

Hmmm, for a bit of escapism, this might be an ok watch. But if you're a sci fi fan, I think you'll find it lacking in sci and not much fi so a bit of a disappointment. 5 out of 10.

On 05/03/2020 at 19:43, Bobby Hundreds said:

The last episode improved the series as a whole, bringing it all together. It wasn't top tv though.

Yeah the last two episodes were decent, but I just thought overall it was indulgent and a bit "ooh look at how clever we are". Think they forgot that TV is entertainment first and foremost. 

Just finished Hunters. 

How you rate it is, I suppose, how you take it. Taken as a nerd’s violent comic book idea of Nazi hunters it’s probably a 5/10. The overall tone is comic book and Dylan Baker appears to be the comic relief. The problem with that is the concentration camp stuff is, at times, genuinely heart wrenching (the Chess Game in particular), but cheapened because it’s purpose is only to serve to telegraph to the audience that the Nazis are irredeemable baddies with no good in them. And that doesn’t sit right. Hence the low mark.

If you try to take it as serious drama it’s into minus figures.

Also, it’s major reveals and twist are so well telegraphed you’ve guessed what’s coming just a few episodes in.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Just finished Hunters. 

How you rate it is, I suppose, how you take it. Taken as a nerd’s violent comic book idea of Nazi hunters it’s probably a 5/10. The overall tone is comic book and Dylan Baker appears to be the comic relief. The problem with that is the concentration camp stuff is, at times, genuinely heart wrenching (the Chess Game in particular), but cheapened because it’s purpose is only to serve to telegraph to the audience that the Nazis are irredeemable baddies with no good in them. And that doesn’t sit right. Hence the low mark.

If you try to take it as serious drama it’s into minus figures.

Also, it’s major reveals and twist are so well telegraphed you’ve guessed what’s coming just a few episodes in.

Completely agree, great review.

I was really looking forward to Hunters but was shocked by just how hammy and irreverant the whole thing was. Pleased I binned it off after 3 episodes.

• Upvote 1

On 04/03/2020 at 19:29, skend04 said:

I Am Not Okay With This - a mashup of of Stephen King and 80s Brat Pack stuff. An enjoyable and easy watch seeing as the 7 episodes averaged only 29 minutes each. 7/10

Watched it last night, I thought it was good.  Stranger Things vibe and great music. 

• Upvote 1

The dance routine in EP 3 of "Hunters", was the last straw for me. As mentioned, the contrast is just too jarring.

Enjoyed "Altered Carbon". 7 0f 10.

Really enjoyed "The Boys". Urban's accent is shite, but the lead villain is great. Genuinely interested in where this one is going.