You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

3 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Finally got around to watching 'Top Boy.' Finished series one and I'll be digging into the rest later. Decent so far. 7.5/10

Second series is better but the 3rd series when it’s now Netflix takes a few episodes to get back into it but does get good again. 

48 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Will have to give this another go given how its getting good reviews on here.

Ditto.

I look on the Television sub-reddit (On you guessed it, Reddit) and it gets rave reviews, I only watched the first 2 episodes and wasn't that keen but maybe it's a grower.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, SasaS said:

You'll get it when you start S3.

Ahh, looking forward to starting it later/tomorrow. Enjoyed it so far, solid acting, decent main story line and side stories. I'll interested to see where they've gone with things due to the large gap between series 2 and 3. Also 10 episodes means they'll be able to use more character building, catching up on the main ones who are still part of it. 

Things I’ve watched since I last did a review...

Succession seasons one and two

Believe the hype around this programme. It’s absolutely superb, brilliant drama, terrific acting and funny as fuck which considering it’s wrote by one of the creators of Peep show is no surprise. 

Brian Cox, Kieran Culkin, Matthew Macfayden and Jeremy Strong deliver top notch performances. I’ve always liked Alan Ruck too going back to Ferris Bueller’s day off and Spin City. Weird fact that Brian Cox who plays his dad in it is only ten years older than him in real life. 

My advice would be don’t give up after 3/4 episodes as it starts a bit slowly but it draws you in. Season two is also a massive step up in quality on season one. 9/10 overall. 

The Witcher

I enjoyed this, and it’s nowhere near as bad as some are making out on here, but it does start slowly, takes an age to tie the various strands of the plot together and the timeline is all over the place. Saying that, there are some good battle scenes, the filmography is great and it looks set up nicely for a much better second season. 7/10. 

Mr Inbetween season two

Love this show but some of the praise on here is very over the top, for me. It’s not the best show on telly or anywhere near as good as Breaking bad and shows of that ilk. Seen someone say a while ago I think that it pisses all over the show ‘Barry’ and I don’t think that’s true either. Think they’re about the same level with Mr Inbetween being more consistent but Barry having greater highs. The ‘ronny/lily’ episode of Barry is one of the best pieces of TV I’ve ever seen and Mr Inbetween can’t touch those levels. 

It is, however, very funny, very violent and a very easy watch with each episode coming in at under half an hour. 8/10. 

Godfather of Harlem

Really enjoyed this. Great cast and it’s set in an era I‘ve always been interested in covering the American civil rights movement and the mafia of 60s New York. 

Not as good as Boardwalk Empire but in a similar vein so if you enjoyed that then this is definitely worth checking out. 8/10. 

Latest season of Archer

Gone down the sci-fi route for this season and set it in space. There has been a drop in quality in the previous couple of seasons but I thought this was a step in the right direction for getting back on track. 

Thoroughly enjoyed it and it looks like it’ll be in the normal timeline with the end of the dream sequences from now on. 8/10. 

Evil

Started a bit slow and was unsure whether to carry on but glad I did. Got a bit of an X-Files vibe with a (trainee) exorcist playing the Mulder role of believer and a psychologist playing the Scully role of doubter. 

Not the best show in the world like and constrained by being on network TV but it’s something I watch with the Mrs and an easy watch while having your tea of a night. Some silly episodes but some genuinely scary bits as well. 7/10. 

Jack Ryan season two

Really like this, it’s nothing you haven’t seen before in movies and TV shows a hundred times but it’s well acted, good plot and looks great. I liked the change of scenery too, moving it to Venezuela. 8/10. 

The Mandalorian

Absolutely fantastic. Much better than the recent films and this is what I want my Star Wars fix to be. Give Favreau the new trilogy. 

Great action scenes, loads of nostalgia trips and set up well for future episodes. Seems a bit of a waste of Pedro Pascal like since it could be anyone under the mask really but that’s a minor quibble. 9/10. 

Year of the Rabbit

If you like Matt Berry (and who doesn’t?) then you’ll love this. Channel four comedy about a group of detectives in the Victorian era. Funny as fuck and definitely worth a look. The Elephant Man character in it is boss. 8/10. 

30 Rock

Rewatching these again from the beginning and midway through the fourth season. Fantastic. Jack Donaghy is one of the all time great comedy show characters and season three stars an absolutey in her prime Salma Hayek. 8.5/10. 

Next up is the BBC version of Dracula and Lost in space season two. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

I think 8/10 is a pretty good rating? I’d put Boardwalk Empire at a 8.5/10 and this isn’t quite as good so... 

I didn't much like Boardwalk Empire, so probably just a different view - slightly as I'd say it's 8.5 or 9. I think the acting is top notch and the story is great. 

I'm on episode 5 of Succession after giving up a few months ago after 2 episodes and I'm slowly getting into it. They are the most unlikable set of characters I've seen in a TV show but that's the point I guess. The main son whose took over the reins reminds me of Richard Hendricks from Silicon Valley, with his funny awkwardness.

On 06/01/2020 at 08:50, Scott_M said:

Really enjoyed episode 1 of Dracula.

Not as good as episode 1, but I still enjoyed episode 2. 

I thought episode 3 was utter shite. 

Shit - I really liked the first two episodes as well, and was looking forward to the last two.

35 minutes ago, Elite said:

I'm on episode 5 of Succession after giving up a few months ago after 2 episodes and I'm slowly getting into it. They are the most unlikable set of characters I've seen in a TV show but that's the point I guess. The main son whose took over the reins reminds me of Richard Hendricks from Silicon Valley, with his funny awkwardness.

Started S2 last night and will have it finished by the weekend.  

The interactions between Tom and Greg are brilliant.  

1 hour ago, Elite said:

All completely detestable, but as you say, that’s the point. Except cousin Greg, I suppose he’s the only one with a bit of a conscience. 

Just wait until you get to season two, it steps up considerably.

50 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

I didn't like the way it ended about two seasons before it should have done. 

Yeah, definitely an object lesson in how not to end an TV show. Still had loads of potential left in it. Season three with Gyp Rosetti in it though has got to be one of the best seasons of TV ever made. Superb. 

• Upvote 1