You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Guest Pistonbroke
11 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

I watched the first episode last night and really enjoyed it, however having never read the books, played the game or watched GoT I have no point of reference to liken it to.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I played The Witcher 3 but haven't dipped into any of the others, plus it was ages ago and not something which entrenched itself in my memories. I was reading earlier that the second series won't be released until early 2021, that's way too long to wait. 

Guest Pistonbroke

6 down and 2 to go with the Witcher, getting better, plus Anya Cholotra has boss tits and is a bit of a cutie. Finish this off tomorrow and deffo watch it again next week. 

10 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

6 down and 2 to go with the Witcher, getting better, plus Anya Cholotra has boss tits and is a bit of a cutie. Finish this off tomorrow and deffo watch it again next week. 

Got two in. Not impressed yet. It’s like an Amateur Dramatics attempt at doing GoT. I’m going to continue on account of you mentioning boss tits. 

Guest Pistonbroke
9 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Got two in. Not impressed yet. It’s like an Amateur Dramatics attempt at doing GoT. I’m going to continue on account of you mentioning boss tits. 

It's a new show finding its feet mate. You can see things improving as it goes along, acting is solid enough for the first series and a lot of it is building the main Characters up for the rest of what is to come. I don't think it's fair to compare it to GOT as it is totally different apart from the genre. Even GOT at the beginning had to do this and i bet it lost a few fans due to this but who came back once they found out that reviews were more favourable as things progressed. It was always going to be my cup of tea though, as it's my favourite Genre. 

On 21/12/2019 at 10:51, skend04 said:

Expanse S4 - 8/10 In parts it felt like a bit of that middle episode of a trilogy thing but apparently the book is similar. Still there was a lot to take in and it's still one of the best sci-fi shows around at the minute. Oh and Amos is still one of the best characters on TV.

Keep on meaning to go back to this, finished season 2, but never get round to it. 

3 minutes ago, Sweeney287 said:

Keep on meaning to go back to this, finished season 2, but never get round to it. 

I'm told that season 3 still exists in the outer reaches of space.

I finished Pennyworth this morning. Quite enjoyable and not really comic book in style (not really my thing), outside of the fact you have to get onboard with the idea of the rise of a nazi group in England in the 1960s. All in all a very watchable show, Paloma Faith was great and with a few 60s tunes thrown in along the way, it hit the spot for me. It's not a classic or anything like that, just decent entertainment. 7.5/10. 

On 21/12/2019 at 00:58, Pistonbroke said:

The Witcher. (so far 8.9/10 and no doubt that will rise) 

4 episodes in so far and I'm hooked already. (Mind you,fantasy is my favourite genre.) People are going to judge this against GOT but that's unfair. It's a totally different story arc apart from being fantasy and should be judged on its own merit. 

I haven't read the books so can't judge how they have adapted the series to them. Much like GOT it is general a bunch of actors who personally I haven't heard of apart from a few, and so far they have done a great job. The cinematography is good and the music score fits perfectly. Character building could be better but I'm guessing they are going to continue feeding us with information as the whole thing progresses. That Anya Chalotra is a beautiful young woman in real life and it's pretty amazing how they have transformed her so far in this series and she pulls it off brilliantly.

The author had 7 main books to this series of novels, I'm not sure how many books this first series covers but it looks like it will be one at a time. That means Netflix will have a main seller for the next seven years. Fuck me, I'll be 62/63 by then, so I'll definitely be investing in a box set of the novels in January when the prices and availability are better. 

I can't wait to dig into the second half of the first series tomorrow evening, well worth the wait and Netflix are getting better at making the price of their subscription worthwhile.  

I'm enjoying it.  Feels like the Constantine series from a few years back that didn't go anywhere.  Hopefully this is allowed to grow.  It took a weird approach, mixing the backstories with massively different timelines together without much to clarify (other than little hints like the character in one story being an adult king, but referred to as a child prince in the next - yeah I had to look up some bits to make sense of that as it nearly passed me by completely).  It only really becomes obvious when one character seemingly comes back to life in one episode.

After that things have converged so interesting to see how it goes now. I read the first book a while back (which is a collection of short stories, which supports the 'Monster of the Week' structure at the moment) and it seems pretty close to the writer's vision.  Certainly doesn't shy away from the grime and gore, the mildly nihilistic morality, or all the tits.

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I'm enjoying it.  Feels like the Constantine series from a few years back that didn't go anywhere.  Hopefully this is allowed to grow.  It took a weird approach, mixing the backstories with massively different timelines together without much to clarify (other than little hints like the character in one story being an adult king, but referred to as a child prince in the next - yeah I had to look up some bits to make sense of that as it nearly passed me by completely).  It only really becomes obvious when one character seemingly comes back to life in one episode.

After that things have converged so interesting to see how it goes now. I read the first book a while back (which is a collection of short stories, which supports the 'Monster of the Week' structure at the moment) and it seems pretty close to the writer's vision.  Certainly doesn't shy away from the grime and gore, the mildly nihilistic morality, or all the tits.

Yeah, agree with all of this, plus like yourself I had to take a double take on the way the timelines were done. The last two episodes were far better, especially the last one. Should be a good indication of where things are heading. I've not read the books but my Daughter has and she said that series one was always going to be tricky if they stuck closely to them and that now that is out of the way they can hit the main story running with certain Characters already implanted in our minds. Certainly room for improvement but I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to both series 2 and also getting my hands on the books. 

Inside the Real Narcos on Netflix. Its that Jason Fox ex SAS. Really really good. The guy knows his shit obviously. Takes some bollocks to meet up with any of them lot over in South America but he does. Its more informative than Ross Kemp who pretty much spends his time saying how much he is shitting himself. 

8/10 

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Inside the Real Narcos on Netflix. Its that Jason Fox ex SAS. Really really good. The guy knows his shit obviously. Takes some bollocks to meet up with any of them lot over in South America but he does. Its more informative than Ross Kemp who pretty much spends his time saying how much he is shitting himself. 

8/10 

I watched that the other week, I particularly liked the level of disdain he had for the tactics of the Peruvians in the last episode when they landed the helicopters and did the foot patrol. 

30 minutes ago, chevettehs said:

I watched that the other week, I particularly liked the level of disdain he had for the tactics of the Peruvians in the last episode when they landed the helicopters and did the foot patrol. 

He didn't mind with the eye contact showing disgust. The bit when Popeye from Escobars squad said I'd rather have been an honourable killer like you. You just saw Jasons eyes thinking "nah fuck you, you have no honour you are a murdering drug running prick"