You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The BBC4 Yorkshire Ripper 3-part documentary was excellent. Highly recommend it. 

The gall of those at the top of West Yorkshire Police to take the credit, when it wasn't even their force who caught him, and even then it was blind luck they did. The fact that they'd talked to Sutcliffe NINE TIMES before he was arrested is insane. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, johnsusername said:

The BBC4 Yorkshire Ripper 3-part documentary was excellent. Highly recommend it. 

The gall of those at the top of West Yorkshire Police to take the credit, when it wasn't even their force who caught him, and even then it was blind luck they did. The fact that they'd talked to Sutcliffe NINE TIMES before he was arrested is insane. 

It really was a fascinating watch. The levels of incompetence, prejudice and self satisfaction in the senior Police officers, all white men, seemingly all cut from the same cloth, was jaw dropping. It came back into my head yesterday thinking about the failings at Hillsborough. Neighbouring forces. They can't have been so different, can they?

• Upvote 2

The Mrs. watches these real-life crimes and from my brief note of them ( mainly done to annoy her while she is watching them ) they all follow a similar pattern

- Crime occurs

- Police are hopeless 

- Trail goes cold

- Amazing stroke of luck / family or friend grasses them up

- Police appear puffed up like bullfinches saying it was a matter of time & looking for promotions.

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

The Mrs. watches these real-life crimes and from my brief note of them ( mainly done to annoy her while she is watching them ) they all follow a similar pattern

- Crime occurs

- Police are hopeless 

- Trail goes cold

- Amazing stroke of luck / family or friend grasses them up

- Police appear puffed up like bullfinches saying it was a matter of time & looking for promotions.

It did very much follow that pattern but what was also interesting was the film maker's perspective, examining the police officers' prejudices about Sutcliffe's victims and women in general, prejudices, it has to be said, that were shared by large sections of the media and society at that time

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Champ said:

It really was a fascinating watch. The levels of incompetence, prejudice and self satisfaction in the senior Police officers, all white men, seemingly all cut from the same cloth, was jaw dropping. It came back into my head yesterday thinking about the failings at Hillsborough. Neighbouring forces. They can't have been so different, can they?

No, i can imagine it was much of a muchness. I'm sure they all walked away with nice early pensions as well.

I couldn't help but think the different reception this show had compared to the Ted Bundy show on Netflix recently. Even when I mentioned the Ripper one in work, to people who had watched the Bundy one. It was almost like "why would i watch that?" As if the Bundy one was more glamorous, sexy. Dunno. 

28 minutes ago, sir roger said:

As you alluded to in your previous post, Champ ,  and from my own observations in the 70's and 80's following Liverpool all around the country , I would not be surprised at all at neanderthal police views.

If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend the TV drama Red Riding, which was excellent. I haven't read the books. Set in Yorkshire in the 70s and 80s. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Think I saw it a few years back and enjoyed it , John.

If I am remembering it right is it by the guy who did the Clough / Leeds thing ?

Yeah, David Peace. His book about Bill Shankly (Red or Dead) is awful, in my opinion. So repetitive and dull. I couldn’t finish it.

8 hours ago, Champ said:

It's possibly an unjustified nagging suspicion but could it even be possible they shared the same familiarity of 'handshakes' or some sort of 'gentlemen's club' or fraternity that could even have been an influencing factor in how their seeming 'above the law' presents itself to mere layman like me?

1 hour ago, SammyAftershave said:

It's possibly an unjustified nagging suspicion but could it even be possible they shared the same familiarity of 'handshakes' or some sort of 'gentlemen's club' or fraternity that could even have been an influencing factor in how their seeming 'above the law' presents itself to mere layman like me?

Funny you should say that. We were having exactly the same conversation at work tonight

Black Summer. All rather good after 4 episodes.

One point. Can no fucker learn to shut a door. When being chased by a zombie shut or lock doors behind you it will stop them trying to get you. No fucker in this has figured this out.

Also just beat the shit out of those annoying kids

20 hours ago, johnsusername said:

If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend the TV drama Red Riding, which was excellent. I haven't read the books. Set in Yorkshire in the 70s and 80s. 

I don't think I have seen that. Do you know if its available online anywhere or would I have to buy a hard copy?

21 hours ago, Champ said:

It did very much follow that pattern but what was also interesting was the film maker's perspective, examining the police officers' prejudices about Sutcliffe's victims and women in general, prejudices, it has to be said, that were shared by large sections of the media and society at that time

It was a good piece of television in that it focused more on the victims' stories (whose names are always forgotten) rather than on the freak of nature who carried out the crimes. The interview with the poor young lad who had to go into care after his mother's murder was awful.

As you say, the descriptions of women by the police, such as the first non-sex worker attacked being described as an 'innocent' victim were absolutely shocking.

1 minute ago, El Rojo said:

It was a good piece of television in that it focused more on the victims' stories (whose names are always forgotten) rather than on the freak of nature who carried out the crimes. The interview with the poor young lad who had to go into care after his mother's murder was awful.

As you say, the descriptions of women by the police, such as the first non-sex worker attacked being described as an 'innocent' victim were absolutely shocking.

He came across so well. I was amazed how 'undamaged' he appeared to be after all of his experiences

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Champ said:

I don't think I have seen that. Do you know if its available online anywhere or would I have to buy a hard copy?

Yes mate it's available on All 4 (if you're in the UK) - https://www.channel4.com/programmes/red-riding

Definitely recommend it. All star British cast. Bit grim though. The Yorkshire police corruption, arrogance and incompetence - it's hard (as a Liverpool fan) to avoid seeing Hillsborough as the culmination of it all. 

Thrilling trilogy of films based on David Peace's cult noir novels about Yorkshire during the 1970s and 80s: a world of paranoia, corruption and the terrifying legacy of the Ripper murders

• Upvote 2