You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

47 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Why mention those two in the same breath? 

Because The Orville was not funny and seemed to be in the same mould as The Expanse. If Seth McFarlane wanted The Orville to be a parody he failed miserably and put it in the 'space drama' genre and it's poor in that respect too ergo falls into comparison alongside The Expanse.

Or am I confusing The Expanse with something else?

4 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Because The Orville was not funny and seemed to be in the same mould as The Expanse. If Seth McFarlane wanted The Orville to be a parody he failed miserably and put it in the 'space drama' genre and it's poor in that respect too ergo falls into comparison alongside The Expanse.

Or am I confusing The Expanse with something else?

Maybe you are, either way it’s like comparing The Wire with Brooklyn Nine-Nine because they both contain police. 

Sharp Objects - I somehow managed to stumble over the finishing line. It succeeds in creating the similar level of tedium as the book, so in that, it's a good and faithful adaptation. I've never seen so many people credited as editors on the same project and it shows. Top of the Lake does Dixie.

17 hours ago, Elite said:

I've tried watching the first episode of The Expanse twice now and turned it off both times.

I felt the same as I was watching the first episode, really fucking slow. 

I was too lazy to reach for the remote though to turn over, and it picks up very quickly. 

I'm glad I'm lazier than you are, I love the expanse now, can't wait for the next series. 

Mrs was watching some American crime documentary tonight , How I Caught a Murderer , or something similar, so I gave it a bit of attention.

The initial voice over says that the detective received a call that would present him with one of his most difficult cases. After sashaying round the crime scene for 20 minutes or so, it transpires that there was a name and a phone number left next to the victim's bed on a piece of paper. The detective basically traces this to a prostitute in a local brothel & she 'done' it. I'd hate to see one of his easy cases.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sir roger said:

Mrs was watching some American crime documentary tonight , How I Caught a Murderer , or something similar, so I gave it a bit of attention.

The initial voice over says that the detective received a call that would present him with one of his most difficult cases. After sashaying round the crime scene for 20 minutes or so, it transpires that there was a name and a phone number left next to the victim's bed on a piece of paper. The detective basically traces this to a prostitute in a local brothel & she 'done' it. I'd hate to see one of his easy cases.

Modern technology means that murders caught on camera will be easy to solve. A pen and paper written note with the name and number of the murderer is fraught with potential problems. Have you tried typing a number into a phone from a hand-written note? It's really hard.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:24 PM, manwiththestick said:

Episode six is simply stunning television. A long one cut scene that you only realise you've watched after it finally cuts to another. Effortless and effective with so many subtleties that I'm almost  compelled to watch it again straight after.

Episode six is indeed a masterpiece. Rarely have I been so captivated by a single episode. I quite often have to watch episodes in two sittings as I tend to drift away easily but this had me hook, line and sinker. Very enjoyable show.

4 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

When I looked to see how far in I was I'm sure it said an hour with 30 mins to go. Maybe I was so keen to abort I misread it. 

Maybe not, the duration of that show's episodes do vary. Did you find it a bit slow going? I like the format but it's certainly not going to be to everyone's taste.

6 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Maybe not, the duration of that show's episodes do vary. Did you find it a bit slow going? I like the format but it's certainly not going to be to everyone's taste.

I've watched 3 and it's a slog, might not bother with the rest.

1 minute ago, Elite said:

I've watched 3 and it's a slog, might not bother with the rest.

I thought the third episode was quite poor to be honest. Four is where it picks up. Might be worth seeing how you get on with that before giving up on it?

3 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I thought the third episode was quite poor to be honest. Four is where it picks up. Might be worth seeing how you get on with that before giving up on it?

I'll watch that then and see if I can take anymore.

Runaways. 

Marvel show on Hulu. A bunch of rich kids find out the benevolent charity called Pride their parents belong to is really a front and they are evil genius type motherfuckers who sacrifice kids.

Kids plot against the parents and try to find out more while some of them start to display super powers ( Superhuman strength, magic, psychic link to a dinosaur, yes, you read that right ) which they start to use to try and shut Pride down.

This is nowhere near as dark as the Marvel Netflix shows and is probably aimed more at a young adult audience but it’s light and enjoyable and a decent way to pass the time. 

7/10

I’m just starting the new season of Daredevil now.