You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Watched the first episode of that new Youtube series, Impulse. It's basically just a rip off of the film Jumper. Which wasn't very good. I'll be swerving the rest.

Netflix's miniseries, Ghoul, is getting some good press, so I think i'll give that a whirl.

Watched the first episode of that new Youtube series, Impulse. It's basically just a rip off of the film Jumper. Which wasn't very good. I'll be swerving the rest.

Netflix's miniseries, Ghoul, is getting some good press, so I think i'll give that a whirl.

Next on my list after I get through first series of Ozark.

It had been well trailled and I'm a sucker for a Sunday night drama so I was always going to watch it.

The opening scenario was tense but how he ever managed to find his way into that bodyguard role was a long stretch of credibility.

Looking beyond that and the apparent absence of security when he went off shift I liked the relationships developed between the different characters and the writer/s' clear lack of regard for politicians.

I've never liked Keeley Hawes like some on here but she played her role, with nods towards Theresa May, I suspect, very well. And didnt she look fab?

I couldnt see last night's episode but will be catching up on it before next Sunday

Army into the police is a well trodden path. Why was it a stretch of credibility?

When he went off duty, he told the night shift on his radio who were in their car outside her flat.

Bodyguard - 6/10

Some good bits that are better than the above score. The train scene and the sniper scenes were both decent. The rest of it, the wife, the underlying dubious ties, all a bit poorly written. Paper thin characters, too.

Agree totally. 

I think that the fawning over this and Line of Duty show how low the bar has been set for British TV drama compared to HBO etc.

The characters are all two-dimensional, plots are hugely incredible - lots of jargon that is supposed to ground the shows in reality but the slick scripts, the wooden dialogue and the lack of regard for obvious procedural issues make it thoroughly unconvincing. Shows like the Wire, the Sopranos and Breaking Bad may have ruined the rest of TV for me for ever, because  I expect characters to behave consistently, details to matter and the action, humour and dialogue to be granular.  

• Upvote 1

Army into the police is a well trodden path. Why was it a stretch of credibility?

When he went off duty, he told the night shift on his radio who were in their car outside her flat.

I meant in terms of his mental health. There’s every suggestion the man’s got PTSD.

As far as his role was concerned you would imagine it would require 24 hour cover. There was no suggestion that there was anyone else in the same role and when he called as he was leaving, did the Range Rover, which I’m guessing was part of the security operation too, not drive off?

Agree totally.

I think that the fawning over this and Line of Duty show how low the bar has been set for British TV drama compared to HBO etc.

The characters are all two-dimensional, plots are hugely incredible - lots of jargon that is supposed to ground the shows in reality but the slick scripts, the wooden dialogue and the lack of regard for obvious procedural issues make it thoroughly unconvincing. Shows like the Wire, the Sopranos and Breaking Bad may have ruined the rest of TV for me for ever, because I expect characters to behave consistently, details to matter and the action, humour and dialogue to be granular.

Agee on that. I’ve long been a critic of British TV, especially drama. I used to be a niche thing to watch American TV, way before Netflix was a thing. I’ve been ruined since then.

A few on here won’t watch it out of principle, but other than a couple of British things, I think the high end shows in the US are dramatically better. With good reason; the money is so big there, that’s where the talent goes.

Agee on that. I’ve long been a critic of British TV, especially drama. I used to be a niche thing to watch American TV, way before Netflix was a thing. I’ve been ruined since then.

A few on here won’t watch it out of principle, but other than a couple of British things, I think the high end shows in the US are dramatically better. With good reason; the money is so big there, that’s where the talent goes.

I though Line of Duty was addictive fluff. Quite enjoyable in its way, but you can't have major characters who are repeatedly shot at, thrown from a great height etc making miraculous recoveries season after season, any more than you can have recent amputees simply discharging themselves from hospital and returning to work without prolonged occupational health assessments.

It doesn't take money or talent to treat your audience with some respect and credit them with a little intelligence. 

Agree totally. 

The characters are all two-dimensional, plots are hugely incredible - lots of jargon that is supposed to ground the shows in reality but the slick scripts, the wooden dialogue and the lack of regard for obvious procedural issues make it thoroughly unconvincing. Shows like the Wire, the Sopranos and Breaking Bad may have ruined the rest of TV for me for ever, because  I expect characters to behave consistently, details to matter and the action, humour and dialogue to be granular.  

Fawning? What a bizarre word to use over a difference of opinion.

TV is about entertainment. I personally think the criticisms above are well wide of the mark, but that's OK - I thought Breaking Bad was boring and overrated, but if others liked it, sound. Sometimes one can be entertained on pure adrenaline rather than making an intellectual connection with it. This isn't trying to be a novel for the screen like The Wire or to reinvent and humanise screen portrayals of the Mafia like The Sopranos; it's just a TV thriller on the BBC with a budget to match. So it's tense, there are outlandish situations and it's not going for realism.

On the evidence of the first two episodes, I think it's really good, but if you measure everything against The Wire then I don't know why you bother watching telly any more. Do you never go to the chippy again once you've eaten at a 3 Michelin Star restaurant? Don't bother with Snowdonia once you've been to the Himalayas? Even David Simon can't reach the dizzy heights of his Baltimore opus with the new stuff he makes, so why hold anyone else to that standard?

Pfff, you probably don't like Jason Statham do you? 

Fawning? What a bizarre word to use over a difference of opinion.

TV is about entertainment. I personally think the criticisms above are well wide of the mark, but that's OK - I thought Breaking Bad was boring and overrated, but if others liked it, sound. Sometimes one can be entertained on pure adrenaline rather than making an intellectual connection with it. This isn't trying to be a novel for the screen like The Wire or to reinvent and humanise screen portrayals of the Mafia like The Sopranos; it's just a TV thriller on the BBC with a budget to match. So it's tense, there are outlandish situations and it's not going for realism.

On the evidence of the first two episodes, I think it's really good, but if you measure everything against The Wire then I don't know why you bother watching telly any more. Do you never go to the chippy again once you've eaten at a 3 Michelin Star restaurant? Don't bother with Snowdonia once you've been to the Himalayas? Even David Simon can't reach the dizzy heights of his Baltimore opus with the new stuff he makes, so why hold anyone else to that standard?

Pfff, you probably don't like Jason Statham do you? 

'Fawning' refers to the 5-star review in the Guardian and other massively overblown critical reception.

I can and do watch lots of TV that entertains me but is nowhere near the standards of the Wire etc. I just don't kid myself that this stuff is anything other than 6/10 addictive fluff, or ignore really obviously poorly drawn characters or massive plot holes, or the fact that every authority figure beyond the main characters is a glorified extra with no back-story and no flexibility (for example). I just don't understand the glossy, slick,brooding atmosphere that overlays this sort of stuff.  

Do all cabinet members have bodyguards?

I expect so.

We live not from Gordon Brown. You can tell it's his house because it looks like a fortress and there are black Range Rovers parked indiscretely in the street. To this day. Who would choose a life like that?