You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

When I was a child, I liked westerns a lot (I still do). I remember one day looking forward to watching the one about Oklahoma or something. It began fine, credits rolling like in big cinemascope picture, great lettering, some cattle and a cowboy riding towards the camera. Imagine my disappointment when he finally filled the screen, opened his mouth and started singing. I think that was the moment my hatred of musicals was born.

Admittedly, I enjoyed about 3 so far: Oliver, Fiddler on the Roof, Hair  and as of last year, La La Land which I almost didn't see because it was a musical. So, four. Cabaret was also good, OK, five. And Everyone Says I Love You.

• Upvote 1

I can't stand musicals apart from three of them...

Oliver (the Oliver Reed one)

The Jungle Book (1967)

Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory (the Gene Wilder one)

All made over 40 years ago, any new ones can fuck right off, I've seen me having to leave people's living rooms before when some arsehole in the middle of a film breaks into song.

Sci fi, horror, period dramas & romantic comedies are other genres I tend to swerve although most of them have the odd exception.

On the original point, Game of Thrones is not something I'd be remotely interested in watching at all, other people are welcome to it but to me it looks & sounds absolutely awful. I could be wrong but I'm happy living in ignorance, there's plenty of other shite to be getting on with.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

I tend to think a musical can be good, it all depends what music genre is used. 

I'd class any film which has full music interludes as a musical. 

I watched 'The Sapphires' earlier in the year and thought it was fucking ace. Obviously I like Motown which influenced my opinion. 

I have not seen GoT but I fully intend to give it a go when the last series begins, and on the point of dismissing genres, I've seen a fair few good things that initially didn't look like my cup of tea, I have very little interest in zombiana but I really liked Walking Dead which I started watching by mistake, True Blood is another thing I wouldn't normally go for, but I usually look at show creators and it was the guy who created Six Feet Under, so

I gave it a go. Mad Men I didn't wont to watch initially because it was promoted as oh so super cool and it was loved by a lot of trendy marketers who mistakenly thought it was a show about them, but when I realized it was created by a man who took over Sopranos I was in.

For me, when deciding what to watch, the first thing is who is behind it, then it's reviews / recommendations from trusted sources then the genre / premise. So I mostly wouldn't dismiss a show on the basis of a genre / premise alone, but it would have to be twice as good to win me over than something I would normally pick.

• Upvote 1

The Jungle Book (1967)

All made over 40 years ago, any new ones can fuck right off, I've seen me having to leave people's living rooms before when some arsehole in the middle of a film breaks into song.

Sci fi, horror, period dramas & romantic comedies are other genres I tend to swerve although most of them have the odd exception.

On the original point, Game of Thrones is not something I'd be remotely interested in watching at all, other people are welcome to it but to me it looks & sounds absolutely awful. I could be wrong but I'm happy living in ignorance, there's plenty of other shite to be getting on with.

Well yes, old Disney classics of course, but I don't think of them as musicals so much, since I always expected them to have songs 

The Jungle Book (1967)

I tried watching Game Of Thrones years ago, the first season and I just did not get on with it at all. It started off as a stonking period piece with really authentic looking outfits from years gone by and then suddenly it started turning on it's head with monsters and ghosts and the like. I didn't know what it was trying to be so I just gave it up.

It's probably brilliant for most people for the reasons I've given that I didn't like it.

SasaS, on 10 Nov 2017 - 12:14 AM, said:

When I was a child, I liked westerns a lot (I still do). I remember one day looking forward to watching the one about Oklahoma or something. It began fine, credits rolling like in big cinemascope picture, great lettering, some cattle and a cowboy riding towards the camera. Imagine my disappointment when he finally filled the screen, opened his mouth and started singing. I think that was the moment my hatred of musicals was born.

Admittedly, I enjoyed about 3 so far: Oliver, Fiddler on the Roof, Hair and as of last year, La La Land which I almost didn't see because it was a musical. So, four. Cabaret was also good, OK, five. And Everyone Says I Love You.

The Wizard of Oz? Stone cold classic.