You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Malaysian Boeing 777 goes missing

Red Banjo

Nobody has given me a rational reason otherwise.

It isn't terrorism, I don't buy that it was hijacked and flown to Diego Garcia because that's fantasy and I have no other explanation. Why? I have no idea. But for me, the pilot has waited until his fellow co-pilot is out of the cockpit, locked him out like this guy the other day, done a fly by of his home island and then flown into the most vast, unexplored and remote places on the planet.

If they ever find the wreckage, I would be surprised if the black boxes revealed anything as I bet he disconnected them as well. He's trying to make sure his family get the best compensation payout going as even the slightest possibility of it being found could see them penniless.

Airbus planes are so advanced and modern, they don't just disappear into the drink for no reason. Until someone gives me a good counter point I honestly don't see any other explanation mate.

Airbus planes are so 'advanced and modern' that the Air France a330 killed over 200 people simply because the pitot tubes(external weather sensors) were built facing the wrong way and they hadnt got round to refitting them.

Aeroplanes are advanced but they are designed and piloted by humans.

So it flew into a packet of wet wipes and disappeared? Didn't see that coming. At least the families will get some closure now. Bit of a coincidence that it was a Malaysian airlines branded packet of wet wipes though although no-doubt the conspiracy theorists on here will come up with some fabricated story about pilot suicide or electrical malfunction.

Airbus planes are so 'advanced and modern' that the Air France a330 killed over 200 people simply because the pitot tubes(external weather sensors) were built facing the wrong way and they hadnt got round to refitting them.

Aeroplanes are advanced but they are designed and piloted by humans.

This is not correct.

AF 447 was primarily down to pilot error.  Basically, one of the co-pilots was trying to increase altitude, thereby pointing the nose upwards and consequently reducing speed, when he should actually have been pointing the nose downwards to regain speed.  The plane then effectively stalled and fell out of the sky.

So it flew into a packet of wet wipes and disappeared? Didn't see that coming. At least the families will get some closure now. Bit of a coincidence that it was a Malaysian airlines branded packet of wet wipes though although no-doubt the conspiracy theorists on here will come up with some fabricated story about pilot suicide or electrical malfunction.

I'm no conspiracy theorist but from extensive reading on this, pilot suicide mass murder seems most likely.

Guest davelfc

Actually that's only half right, while it is not possible to turn it off apparently circuit breakers can be pulled from the avionics bay

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Express_Flight_705

There's also some suggestion that the black box circuit breakers were pulled on Silkair 185. 

However this can all be further confused by the fact that black boxes do have their own power supply in the case of power failure and of course to send out signals when there's a crash.

"In commercial aviation.... Nothing in the "Black Box" can be disabled by the flight crew in the air. This includes the cockpit voice recorder and the flight data recorder. The "Black Box" is located in the rear of the aircraft and has it's own independent power supply. For example, it has enough battery power that if an aircraft crashes in water the device will send out a location signal that's active for more than a month. The device is charged using the aircraft's air power unit or APU. To deactivate it you'd have to access it from the exterior of the airplane as it's designed to be ejected from the aircraft during a crash. Or, you'd have to take off with it deactivated."

If a pilot has some level of incident down the line (i.e. out of station) then the usual instruction is to pull the CB so the CVR doesn't overwrite itself. But this can only be done on the ground.  Keep in mind that 99.9% of incidents the passenger isn't even going to be aware of.

This is not correct.

AF 447 was primarily down to pilot error. Basically, one of the co-pilots was trying to increase altitude, thereby pointing the nose upwards and consequently reducing speed, when he should actually have been pointing the nose downwards to regain speed. The plane then effectively stalled and fell out of the sky.

Yes because the Pitot tubes were blocked and the pilot had no idea of altitude and various other readings.

I'd say it was a combination of both.

Yes because the Pitot tubes were blocked and the pilot had no idea of altitude and various other readings.

I'd say it was a combination of both.

Fair enough.

However, my overriding impression from watching a documentary about it was that it was badly handled by the co-pilot(s) and that what happened with the pitot tubes shouldn't have led to a crash, albeit they were in a horrible situation (sirens sounding in the cockpit in the middle of the night at 37,000 ft over the Atlantic with not an airport in sight).

There was mass confusion in the cockpit of AF447 including the bloody captain on a mandates rest break. I have no idea how long the flight is from Rio to Paris but I could drive a UPS truck for none hours straight and not need a test break and pilots don't have to deal with idiot drivers or mouthy customers

So I would mandate that all pilots need to piss before taking off or at the very least airlines provide piss jugs like long haul truckers use

As well the fucking planes fly themselves I reckon pilots need a break from the boredom of staring out a cockpit window at nothing.

It isn't uncommon for pitot tubes to become iced up on any flight - they clear themselves within sixty seconds. It must be horribly disorientating but that was still pilot error - one pilot pulled up, the other down and the pilot pulling up was doing the exact opposite to correct an aerodynamic stall. The captain only realised the problem about 2000 feet above the sea when it was sadly too late to correct the stall.