You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Glen Johnson get a new contract?

tlw content

Glen....Glen....Glen....were did it go wrong? cast your mind's back to 2009, a fresh faced young Glen rampaging down our right wing, meandering, in vain, but trying, caring...at least.... giving a damn about the cause. Glen the 18 million pound saviour of the right flank, the right side Ashley Cole, (the right sided Phil Babb) but still there was hope there, youthful enthusiasm if you will.

Were's that gone? were is that Glen? because as far as i can tell he looks like he's being forced onto the pitch at gunpoint every game, and the same thing was true with Reina last season. He needs a change of scenery for his own sake, he's vacant, just a shallow soulless husk running, sliding, and forgetting to track players. Fuck off Glen, just go, seriously... forge a decent career somewhere else on 100k a week, because quite frankly your taking the piss now.

• Upvote 4

I think injuries have got the better of him unfortunately. I wouldn't be too quick to discard him though, with champions league next season and an already threadbare squad.

The squad needs to be robust

I'm not convinced Johnson will improve with competition for that position, and the squad shouldnt have to carry dead weight.

He has a fatal flaw in that he is a 'defender' who cannot actually defend. He should have been converted to a winger fucking eons ago (this would also have allowed him to work on his shite stepovers), and then we could have got ourselves a decent attacking right back who can actually close down a man and prevent a cross. Let's hope we can get one of those for next season. 

He has a fatal flaw in that he is a 'defender' who cannot actually defend. He should have been converted to a winger fucking eons ago (this would also have allowed him to work on his shite stepovers), and then we could have got ourselves a decent attacking right back who can actually close down a man and prevent a cross. Let's hope we can get one of those for next season. 

I think again, this is a bit of a myth.  It's easy to block crosses when you stay in a flat back four and the fullback's only role is to keep an eye on the winger so they can play them closely.  Our fullbacks bomb up the pitch, they then have to leg it back into position and we play a very loose defensive shape at times. 

Admittedly Johnson isn't the quickest to close a man down once he is in position, but often people shout at him for not blocking crosses when he's followed the winger, it's played back to an overlapping fullback who then crosses the ball in.  It's rare in my view to see Johnson beaten by a winger who then gets a dangerous low ball across the box.

For example, just to compare with Flanno, our other fullback.

Johnson is dribbled past by players less than half the time than Flanno (0.8 x per game compared to 1.7 x per game)

They make the same number of interceptions per game (1.7) and a similar number of blocked shots (0.3 to 0.2)

Flanno makes more tackles, but gives away more fouls.

On the attacking side Flanno makes 38 passes per game with an average success of 84%.  He makes 0.6 key passes a game has 1 assist and 1 goal.

Johnson makes 50 passes a game with an 84% success rate, makes 1.0 key pass a game has 2 assists.  Johnson also successfully dribbles past players 1.6 times a game, over twice as good as Flanno.

I know Johnson isn't perfect, looks a bit dozy and has made some errors, but a lot of it is over exaggerated.  Despite being called all kinds of shit, he's been our best fullback defensively and easily much more influential going forward.  He should be on his wedge and compared to a young'un though.

he's been our best fullback defensively and easily much more influential going forward. 

I think it is extraordinarily difficult to be both of the above.

He is good going forwards, but we have quite a few players who are good at that.As a defensive full back I think he is good, and that is it, which isnt good enough to win titles and the major competitions. It was a conclusion Chelsea came to several years ago.

I think it is extraordinarily difficult to be both of the above.

He is good going forwards, but we have quite a few players who are good at that.As a defensive full back I think he is good, and that is it, which isnt good enough to win titles and the major competitions. It was a conclusion Chelsea came to several years ago.

I meant he was the most influential going forward of our full backs.  Admittedly some may say that wasn't too hard.

And the Chelsea comment?  Really?  How about the conclusion Chelsea made on Daniel Sturridge when he was the same age?

Only if he`d be willing to take a paycut.

He`s a senior player, he`s british and whatever wages he`s on I`m willing to bet it`s to much given his age, performance and durability.

He`s had almost no competition for his spot this season and maybe he`s been resting on his laurels abit. Giving him competition for the starting job just might work and bring out some performances from him.

In the end though, I bet he`s going to ask for more money and we`ll sell him, and to be honest I`ll be fine with that. Whatever the outcome I just don`t want to see him as a 1st. choice next season.

My dad always told me, it takes a big man to admit when he's wrong.

I was wrong, Johnson is fucking terrible and his lack of effort/ability can fuck right off.  I hope we sell him in the summer, if nobody is willing to pay a fee - swap him for a pack of bibs or a traffic cone, at least they could be put to good use in training.

I get criticism as he obviously deserves it but I still think a lot of it is harsh.

Agreed. No need for some of it. It appals me to see our own "fans" calling one of our own players a "cunt". He's not a "cunt", he's just past his best and frustrating as hell to watch. He can't play to the standard we need him to so he has to be replaced.

• Upvote 1

Agreed. No need for some of it. It appals me to see our own "fans" calling one of our own players a "cunt". He's not a "cunt", he's just past his best and frustrating as hell to watch. He can't play to the standard we need him to so he has to be replaced.

I won't abuse him but I don't slag people like Cissokho off because even though he's dog shit - he puts in 100% every time he plays.  Johnson doesn't, he looks half arsed nowadays and that's unforgivable.

I won't abuse him but I don't slag people like Cissokho off because even though he's dog shit - he puts in 100% every time he plays.  Johnson doesn't, he looks half arsed nowadays and that's unforgivable.

I clearly meant calling him a "cunt" or other things people have said.

Never liked him as think he is a typical brainless English footballer whose athleticism gets him away with a lot more than it should.

Now is the right time to move him on and free up some wages and spending money.

Spending the fee we did on him wasnt a great idea at the time but we've got as much out of him as we can.

Abuse is out of order but criticism is fair game.

Never liked him as think he is a typical brainless English footballer whose athleticism gets him away with a lot more than it should.

Now is the right time to move him on and free up some wages and spending money.

Spending the fee we did on him wasnt a great idea at the time but we've got as much out of him as we can.

Abuse is out of order but criticism is fair game.

We had to pay the huge fee because Chelsea wanted him and Pompy owed us a shit load of money from Crouch, we'd never have seen any of that had we not done the Johnson deal.

• Upvote 1

No player for Liverpool should be called a cunt by their own fans. Even if we have had one or two. I would never call one of ours a cunt. Johnson though has the air of someone less than arsed, and I hope we've seen the last of him in a Liverpool shirt. Same with Aspas, same with Lucas. We really need to step up.

Tony Gale on SSN claiming Johnson and Baines could be England's most attacking players at the WC.

Congratulations Tony, how did you get this gig? I wish I could talk utter horse shit and get paid too.

To be fair, anything is possible under Neuchâtel Xamax's Dear Leader. He might play them upfront.

I agree that abuse is out if order, but sometimes it is justified. Downing for example, WAS a cunt. As is Glen. The cunt.

No glen is not a cunt, he has had a bad season but has had good ones before that for us where he was one of our best players.

He has always been loyal to lfc when big clubs were interested and we were doing shit and he has never said a bad word against us.

He has not played to his level for this season for whatever reasons and if we can improve on him like with every other player I would be happy for us to do so.

However the stick and abuse glen is getting is out or order as he has been a loyal servant for us in his time here.

• Downvote 1

He was happy to stay because no other club made a offer for him and nobody in there rigjt mind would pay him his ridiculous wages.

He has been shite the majority of his time with us, injured for another quarter and good the rest.

Tony Gale on SSN

He chats shit all the time.

Remember earlier in the season that Sterling was just all about pace.  Rodgers then said in his next press conference that he respected Tony's opinion, but he works with Sterling every day and he had much more to his game than just pace.  He had intelligence, touch, skill etc.

I think Rodgers was right on that one.