You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Glen Johnson get a new contract?

tlw content

no he's not, he can't string 3 decent performances together, he was good yesterday but dreadful against Sunderland

I put that down to fatigue and lack of match fitness.  He improved as the game went on against Sunderland and put in a solid performance against Spurs (much like the rest of the team).  

He wasn't ready to play three games in a week, hence the crap first half against Sunderland.  Those 45 mins aside he's been steadily playing himself into form since he came back and is getting involved with the goals again - a massive plus for the run in the important of which can't be understated.

If you don't agree with this post word for word you must pull the legs off spiders and eat ants.  

The same thing applies as with Lucas, or any other player that needs to step up or piss off.

The thing is, we're going to be an attractive club again, having achieved top four. If a better player comes along, Johnson doesn't make the grade anymore.

Johnson has been gash for the most part this season, whether thats injuries or not who really knows.

To say he isn't playing well and on form since he has come back is a load of bollocks.

I can't help noticing he had a really good start to the season, then got injured.  Then he was gash.  Then he got his injuries sorted.  Then his form has picked up again.

I realise correlation does not prove causation, but...

• Upvote 1

I just don't understand this antipathy towards any of our players at this time whether it is Johnson, Flannagan, Allen, Lucas or anyone else. By the end of the the season we will have played a total of 43 games. With a bit of luck in the CL and domestic cups next season we could be well over 50 games We are looking good for a top three finish which will guarantee us the group stages. With at least one League Cp and one FA cup tie guaranteed we are already looking at a minimum of 46 games next season. Hopefully many more.

So we need to be adding to the squad not reducing it. I don't mind seeing Cissokho and Moses go back to where they came from but want to see Borini, Wisdom and Assaidi back in the fold and see if they have improved.

IMO we then need to add at most three quality players to the squad. A left back is imperative.

Of course we should offer him a new contract, a fair one that doesn't take the piss either way. It doesn't mean he's an automatic starter nor should he expect to be but he's here, enjoys it here and is a very good footballer on his day.

Just as we finally start going places fans want to break it up and flog off players. It's mental.

You build a better team and squad by buying a better player for the first team, the bloke they replace drops to the bench, stronger first XI and better depth.

You don't flog first team players and fill the squad with shite because they're cheap.

Totally agree.  I really like Glen but I've been down on hard on him a lot this season but he's looking lean and a lot more focused since his return as well as helping himself to a few asissts.  Rogers seems to like him and if we can thrash out a deal that suits us both we should keep him.  On form and in Rogers system he's an asset

• 4 weeks later...

He was. Just him being on the pitch as one of our highest paid players is a fucking insult.

If you're looking scapegoat, i would try one of the front players first.

He didn't decide how much he gets paid. Blame the previous manager and owners who gave him that contract.

If you're looking scapegoat, i would try one of the front players first.

He didn't decide how much he gets paid. Blame the previous manager and owners who gave him that contract.

I'm not looking for any scapegoat. Why would I try one of our front players? They're the reason we are where we are. If you look back over the thread I've been one his main critics, today just reinforced my opinion that he's dogshit & we need an upgrade. I understand he's not to blame for his contract, but for most of the season I would have liked him to at least look like he was fucking earning it.

I'm not looking for any scapegoat. Why would I try one of our front players? They're the reason we are where we are. If you look back over the thread I've been one his main critics, today just reinforced my opinion that he's dogshit & we need an upgrade. I understand he's not to blame for his contract, but for most of the season I would have liked him to at least look like he was fucking earning it.

In the context of this thread being bumped nearly every time we have a bad performance and after today.

• Upvote 1