You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Glen Johnson get a new contract?

tlw content

He was decent on saturday but I suspect he upped his effort levels because of the stick he was getting for being ex-pompey. 

He is still on far too much money than he should be based on his performances. Out of him and Flanno I can see Glen being far more likely to have an effortless game at the wrong time and cost us valuable points. 

In other words, i'd have Flanno in the trenches with me over Johnson and thats what we need now. 

There's another angle to this that the article didn't consider:

What if Johnson was never going to get a new contract, regardless?

Think about it for a second.  Regardless of the possibility that he was going to gain his form back, Glen is 29.  By the time THIS contract runs out, he'll be almost 31.  He's not going to get any faster or more explosive off the line, and that's precisely what Rodgers wants for this team.

Chelsea, City, and Arsenal all carry fullbacks in their late 20s or 30-31 years of age, but I would be shocked if the first two don't shop for replacements for Ivanovic and Kolarov the second they start looking for a step.  The difference between us and them, though, is that the traditional contract negotiation period for Johnson is now, and that we no longer operate with anything approaching the luxury of those two clubs.

Here's the way I see this going.  Glen will be given every opportunity to succeed these last ten games because he's still Rodger's second-best fullback right now.  Come the end of the season, he's probably going to get an honest appraisal from Rodgers, which will probably be that the club is looking to get younger, that by necessity he will be sharing starting opportunities with someone like Flanagan, Kelly, another Academy product, or a new transfer.

Glen will then have three choices:

1. He could sign for a smaller salary

2. He could leave; this would gain Liverpool a handsome enough sum, but he would almost certainly not be earning £100k/week anymore.

3. He could stay under his current contract, but would probably face hardball from the club

• Upvote 1

I don't understand why people have it in for Johnson.  It's obvious that the injuries are affecting him. Lazy?  Get outta here.  Was he being lazy when he ran the length of Stamford Bridge to score the winner a couple of seasons ago?  Where has this lazy tag come from?  It's utterly bizarre.  As if you'd stand a chance in hell of being picked for Rodgers if you were lazy. 

• Upvote 3

I don't understand why people have it in for Johnson.  It's obvious that the injuries are affecting him. Lazy?  Get outta here.  Was he being lazy when he ran the length of Stamford Bridge to score the winner a couple of seasons ago?  Where has this lazy tag come from?  It's utterly bizarre.  As if you'd stand a chance in hell of being picked for Rodgers if you were lazy. 

A lot can change in a couple of seasons. As for being picked, well at fullback the choice is very much of the Hobson's variety at the moment.

He did alright against Southampton. He looked a little better, but you could definitely make an argument that both the shot that hit the post and Mig's save at 1-0 came from situations he should have dealt with better.

I hope, like Sterling, it's a case of injuries, but the decline has been visible for some time. Watching Flanagan's urgency and running only puts Johnson's performances into starker contrast.

I think the 'lazy' tag has probably come from his seemingly 'couldn't give a fuck' attitude. The goal at The Bridge you mention just reminds us how far his game has actually fallen & it was never that good to begin with. Defensively shit, the only good thing he's ever had going for him was that he was half decent going forward. Take that away from him & your left with the pretty shit full back that we see today.

Nah, I just don't get it.  I think all of our players have been described as "shit" by someone or other this season except for a select few.  There were people wanting Henderson sold before the January window opened.  I think we're too critical of our players in general.  We could have a team full of shit players with Premier League winners' medals in May. 

• Upvote 2

It's because he looks a lackadaisical at times, cruising about rather than putting his head down legs and arms flailing everywhere.  When he's on form he looks really good, when he's a bit off form he looks like he's taking the piss.  Just the style of movement.

Plus every Liverpool fan is obsessed by money and wages these days.

• Upvote 1

Football really is like Rashomon. I didn't see anything from him to even warrant starting ahead of Cissokho, let alone deserving a new contract. When did he get forward, or lay in a cross, or block one? (the same questions I asked after the Swansea game)

Just as N'Gog simply muscled him off the ball, the same thing happened against Southampton. He had the ball near the touchline, got bodied and just dribbled off the pitch - then waved his arms in the air as if to say "where is everybody?!" No effort to take on his man, no fucking urgency or energy whatsoever.

Nah, I just don't get it. I think all of our players have been described as "shit" by someone or other this season except for a select few. There were people wanting Henderson sold before the January window opened. I think we're too critical of our players in general. We could have a team full of shit players with Premier League winners' medals in May.

Yeah, I understand our fans are ultra critical sometimes, but most of the criticism was levelled at new/young players. Allen, Hendo, Raheem, Flano. We're talking about a supposedly international full back here, with years of experience & a pay packet to back that up. Is he that much better than Flanagan? Does he deserve a new deal? IMO,absolutely no fuckin way.

• Upvote 1

Maybe not on this season's form but it's unfair to judge him on only this season and not the length of his contract.  I do think he will be this season's Reina, though. He's one of the last players I'd shift.  He can play at left and right back better than most of his contemporaries.  

I really don't think he should get a new contract.

The club probably sponsors his mobile and I bet he has a shitload of data that he doesn't even use - plus unlimited talk and text.

Unfortunately I think we'll end up sticking him on one of the pay as you go deals Joe Cole and Jovanovic ended up being on.

Maybe not on this season's form but it's unfair to judge him on only this season and not the length of his contract.  I do think he will be this season's Reina, though. He's one of the last players I'd shift.  He can play at left and right back better than most of his contemporaries.

Rodgers has come out recently with in the last month and said he wants glen to sign a new contract so I wouldn't get too concerned about him going yet.

Getting a right back better or of the same quality will be very difficult and expensive so I see them coming to an agreement.

Where was the criticism of flanno by the way after soton, he was much poorer the glen imo and was not just back from injury.

I seen someone try to blame glen for the shot mig had to say on here but didn't say anything about flanno who had run the whole way up the pitch and got himself out of position for no good reason, terrible decision making, the cross came in from his side and glen gets the blame.

Glen just cant do anything right for some fans at the moment and after all the years hes been loyal to us he deserves better.

• Downvote 1

It's because he looks a lackadaisical at times, cruising about rather than putting his head down legs and arms flailing everywhere.  When he's on form he looks really good, when he's a bit off form he looks like he's taking the piss.  Just the style of movement.

I'm not obsessed by money and wages , I just want us to win stuff

I really think Johnson should move back to rb and Flanagan lb. I don't know why but Flanagan looks more solid there, its probably because hes got the option to cut inside and find a simple pass to Gerrard, Hendo or back to the cb's, rather looking down the line and limited options on the right

• Upvote 1

This is bang on and is why players like flanno and kuyt could get away with poor performances by running round like mad men.

• Downvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

We could have a team full of shit players with Premier League winners' medals in May.

There's a reason why we are in with a shot. It's not because we have great, championship quality defenders, it's not because we dominate the midfield, and it's not because our strength in depth; we are in with a shot because we have a top class attack and a manager who plays to our strengths. We shouldn't mistake having a team challenging for the top because of the attack with our fullbacks, DMs, and CBs being high quality. As any West Wing watcher will warn you, Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc.

Just like many of our players, Johnson hasn't been performing consistently well enough for an aspirational top club for quite some time. Just because we've done well with Cissokho in the team, it doesn't make him good enough.

I'm fine with Johnson being given a new contract. The problem arises when I consider the wage demands he probably has for himself and the wage I think the club should play him. He's without a doubt a good player when he's on form, but he hasn't been on form consistently enough for quite some time.

The less said about Cissokho the better. He's been solid enough defensively lately but offers next to nothing going forward and looks scared on the ball more often than not. Shame as athletically he could be great but mentally he doesn't look like he has it. He does however always put in the effort.