You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Glen Johnson get a new contract?

tlw content

Who cares what Arsenal fans do? You're always going on about the sodding arsenal and Tottenham.

Yes he should, he's the best fullback at the club and before the period where he has been poor due to injury he has been one of the best players in the team in recent seasons.

I have seen no signs of a bad attitude which some are making out and since the manager has came out and said he wants him to stay I'll choose to believe that is fans guessing.

So what he has not signed a contract yet, that does not make him a greedy cunt he is trying to get the best deal for himself which im sure everyone can understand. Sagna at arsenal has let himself get down to his last six months and is receiving contract offers from other clubs and I haven't seen arsenal fans give him half as much stick as glens getting.

Who cares what Arsenal fans do? You're always going on about sodding Arsenal and Tottenham.

I sometimes think people completely forget about our players on loan ie Andre Wisdom. He's been playing regularly in the championship with Derby, doing well, and he already has decent premier league experience.

Why hold on to an ageing, overpaid and over-rated player, when you have a younger, hungrier and potentially better one waiting in the wings? That's not to mention the likes of Flanagan, and Kelly if he comes good again. I'm all for cutting ties with Johnson and letting some foolhardy manager who doesn't mind paying big wages(well hello Harry Redknapp) take him off our hands. 

• Upvote 1

He's only 29 years old, yet he looks like a player that is finished, at the end of his career just going through the motions.

I'd be tempted just to keep him for another season, to see if he can rediscover that hunger and desire that playing in the Champions league should bring.

For people saying that we would get between 8/10 million for him, who on earth would pay that!  

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It seems a long time ago that he was performing at a high level on a consistent basis. With that in mind, I wouldn't give him a new contract, at least not on anything like the terms of his current one.

Supposedly been learning Spanish for years, hasn't he?

If he applies himself to that in anything like the way he has his profession at times, he won't be much past "Hola, me llamo es Glen, sorry, I'm shit;* rubs finger and thumb together *"

He can just take that toilet seat with him and lay it down on the bench under his dressing room hook. Universal language right there.

I have a hunch he may see sense and agree to a new contract. Dunno why, maybe because we're fucking ace again and he'd be mad to leave when he could knuckle down and be remembered very well at a big club.

He's only 29 years old, yet he looks like a player that is finished, at the end of his career just going through the motions.

I'd be tempted just to keep him for another season, to see if he can rediscover that hunger and desire that playing in the Champions league should bring.

For people saying that we would get between 8/10 million for him, who on earth would pay that!  

I don't know why people get so obsessed with transfer fees. The only question is whether he is good enough any longer. If we get 8 or 10 million offered then we should let him go is bollocks.  Ship him out if we have better options not give him a new contract.

He was not bad today, he was disgraceful. I really believe he is taking the piss now.

I'll want to see the stats to be sure, but he can't have had over 60-65% pass completion.  Every time he got the ball he managed to get into a position where he was under pressure within a few seconds.