You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton Vs Liverpool

WhiskeyJar

Keep it coming, we need to offer up enough cynicism to the universe to balance out these positive, happy clapping, chirpy mofos. I've spent the entire season saying we're going to get bummed by every half decent side we've met, see no reason to mess with a winning formula.

I reckon we'll lose 3-0. Skrtel to be sent off inside 10 minutes & Fellaini to score a hat trick of headers.

The Scum match can't come quick enough. If we play at our usual level, and Scum do the same, we'll beat them 3,4,5-0. Really looking forward to the game.

Let's not get carried away, 345-0, that is nearly four goals a minute, I can't see it being quite that many.

He'll be shitting it. If he sends them out to attack all out against us, we can just pick them off on the counter. If he sends them out there to defend our relentlesness will see out and we'll win.

The only way I can see them winning is if we freeze under the pressure and hand them the game.

Never under estimate the power of the fa and their merry band of one eyed referees.

Bring a midfielder on to steady things up. That's what a lot of managers would have done. Some would have even put another defender on, what with the way Southampton were cutting through us.

Rodgers pushed the wide central midfielders - Hendo and Allen - out of the diamond formation and into a deeper position. That worked straight away. Coutinho started playing better and so did we. Then on came Sterling and the rest is history. Not quite the enforced option you imply.

Which one, we dont have any?

Sterling is usually doing a good job defensively, I'd imagine better than all of Aspas, Moses and Texeira.

Sterling was the obvious choice and it was not really a more attacking sub at all as it gave us someone who works harder on his defensive duties and also the pace to hit them even more on the counter.

It would have been ridiculous to bring someone else on from that bench.

• Downvote 2

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Which one, we dont have any?

You just have to look at our bench, upon which we had those players. To suggest there were no other option is a bit daft. The normal thing to do would have been to bring on another midfielder to pack the midfield.

You just have to look at our bench, upon which we had those players. To suggest there were no other option is a bit daft. The normal thing to do would have been to bring on another midfielder to pack the midfield.

What makes Aspas, Moses or Texeira more of a midfielder than Sterling?

• Downvote 2

Last season Mark Halsey sent Shelvey off for a 50/50 challenge with jonny evans, the correct call would have been to give both players a yellow or at worst give both players a red. Evans went unpunished. Halseys decision affected the outcome of the game.

In his autobiography published after he retired, Halsey admitted being in text contact with Alex Fergurson, Halsey says in his book " you have to earn Sir Alex's respect" this is against fa rules. No charges or fa investigation has been set up against either man.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/mark-halsey-alex-ferguson-text-2276765

Guest Numero Veinticinco

What makes Aspas, Moses or Texeira more of a midfielder than Sterling?

What makes João Carlos Teixeira, the midfielder, more of a midfielder is that he's a midfielder and Sterling isn't. It's pretty obvious, to be honest. Anyway, if you don't want to give credit for the player who came on and scored with his first touch, that's fine. There are many of us who'll pick up the slack.

Who's talking about Aspas or Moses being a midfielder? What makes Texeira more of a midfielder is that he's a midfielder and Sterling isn't. 

So you would have  brought on Texeira then with his total of 8 minutes first team experience, but only Rodgers genius made him bring on Sterling who offer more pace in both directions and who has played fullback before?

• Downvote 2

Guest Numero Veinticinco

So you would have  brought on Texeira

I stop reading there in the realisation that you seem to be fairly obtuse.

I stop reading there in the realisation that you seem to be fairly obtuse.

I dont know if you went the game or not or where you watched the game,  but if you read this thread or if you discussed the game with anyone anywhere while it was being played the sub people talked about making was bringing on Sterling for Coutinho.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I dont know if you went the game or not or where you watched the game,  but if you read this thread or if you discussed the game with anyone anywhere while it was being played the sub people talked about making was bringing on Sterling for Coutinho.

I know. It wasn't the only change he made, he fixed the midfield in order to bring the player on. There were very few of us who suggested that, though I was one. That doesn't make him a genius - I don't think anybody has called the substation that, only you - but it does mean he has more balls than quite a few managers who'd have looked at the [and this is the exact point at which I'm wondering why I'm explaining this again] midfield getting overrun just in front of the defence and the lack of meaningful possession and added a player like Teixeira, who is a more natural fit to replace Coutinho rather than a wide attacker, who would aid in possession. He didn't make that choice, he made the more intelligent, ballsy choice to bring on Sterling, not just opt to settle for a risky 0-1 away win (and bringing on a defender to do that was an option, too). He kept the attacking pressure up and that paid off. Nice one, Brendan.