You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet?

Morning Glory

Anyone else worried about him? A lot of talk about how shite those in front of him are but for me I wonder whether it is a 2 way street and both back 4 & keeper have no faith in each other. For me a top keeper these days has to have the following, command of his box, deal with high balls/crosses, good distribution and is a shot stopper. I feel he only has the latter and 6 months in I have seen no improvemt in the other three areas. Harsh?

I think you are right but the bold bit is the key imo. They are not yet a unit - if they can develop that we will be OK.

• Upvote 1

Does not command his box enough for me. needs to be more vocal to his defenders. They dont know what he is doing behind them you can tell. Until he starts doing it, it will give all our defenders the jitters

Agree with this. The only two real flaws I can pick out are what you've just said and his dealing with crosses (though to be fair that was always a knock on Reina as well). I'd like to see him be more assertive in letting his defenders know just what he's up to, but at the same time they've all trained together for ages now so you'd expect the defenders would know what he does and doesn't do at this point. Case in point today when Skrtel had a go at him for not coming for a ball that was just trickling in basically unchallenged. I understand Skrtel's point but it's something the Mignolet just hasn't really done so far in his time here so I'd just as soon Skrtel realize that's not in his game right now, just deal with it himself, and save the "suggestions" for Melwood.

He needs to have a word with Brendan about what he wants from his defence and not have it dictated to him. The keeper is in a privileged postion seeing the entire game and tactics unfold in front of him and can manage a defence better to suit his own abilities rather than being instructed to do something completely different.

I keep hearing he's a shot stopper but that's the very basic of a goalkeeper.  He doesn't do ANYTHING well other than that, his catching is fucking terrible and his decision making borderlines retarded at times (the weird punch at 1-0 up Vs Arsenal).

The biggest worry for me, is he just doesn't command his area at all.  I don't rate him at all, what's the situation with Reina?  I still fucking love that man and he's improved since going to Napoli.

• Downvote 1

He has made a fair few errors at Napoli from what I have read.His shot stopping of anything around his feet was just about non existent in his last couple of years. Mingolet either needs to start becoming better at coming of his line and commanding his area or we will have to look elsewhere.

Mignolet's not the problem, he's a symptom, much like our CBs. The defence looks shaky as shit because we have no shape and due to this no one really trusts one another.

Our fullbacks offer no great protection and the CBs often get dragged wide, and the midfield only seems to have two gears - harry / attack and retreat.

Until we control games in front of, and around, the central defence we'll look shaky, and replacing any one of Skrtel, Mignolet etc won't change that.

Decent fullbacks and a DM are a must.

• Upvote 1

Mignolet is a good 'keeper but I would prefer we bring back Reina. I feel a lot of our silly defending could be improved to a degree with a top class, experienced goalie like Reina in the team. A world class 'keeper is good at organising the defenders in front of him and Pepe is better at that than MIgnolet.

Mignolet is a good 'keeper but I would prefer we bring back Reina. I feel a lot of our silly defending could be improved to a degree with a top class, experienced goalie like Reina in the team. A world class 'keeper is good at organising the defenders in front of him and Pepe is better at that than MIgnolet.

Reina is not really top class anymore and has had a disappointing season for Napoli. Much like his last 3 seasons here.

Not saying Mignolet is the long term solution we've been looking for, but I'd rather look elsewhere if we're to replace him. 

He's fucking brilliant at stopping the ball going in the net, though, right? Something Reina hasn't been doing well for a long time.

Plus without him saving that pen on the first day of the season I doubt the team would've built the confidence to do what we've done since

I found it a bit disconcerting that we were reported to be interested in that £8m keeper the other day. It could just be that Rodgers wants a top class deputy to keep Mignolet on his toes, or it could be that he sees a problem with Mignolet.

Personally, I think Mignolet is a great keeper. I don't care about this talk of his distribution, I don't see it as a real problem.

This is going to look like Code levels of anal retentive banality. But here's the defensive line-up for first 10 matches of the season:

W1-0 Stoke (H) Johnson Toure Agger Enrique (W)

W0-1 Villa (A) Johnson Toure Agger Enrique

W1-0 Utd (H) Johnson (Wisdom - 79' ) Skrtel (Toure injured) Agger Enrique

D2-2 Swan (A) Wisdom (Johnson injured) Skrtel Sakho Enrique

L0-1 South (H)  Toure Skrtel Sakho Agger (Enrique - 57' )

W3-1 Sund (A) Toure Skrtel Sakho Enrique

W4-1 Palace (H) Toure Skrtel Sakho (Agger - 67' ) Enrique

D2-2 New (A) Johnson (Sterling - 83' ) Skrtel Sakho (Luis Alberto - 63' ) Cissokho (Enrique injured)

W4-1 WBA (H) Johnson (Kelly - 62' ) Skrtel Sakho Cissokho

L2-0 Ars (A) Flanagan (Moses - 68' ) Skrtel Sakho Cissokho Booked (Coutinho - 45' )

8 changes in 10

Never lost a match in which Enrique started.

I don't think Reina coming back is on the cards.

Lets be honest he had deteriorated a lot towards the end. Yes Reina at his best would be an upgrade.

Do you blame Mig or the back four for our frailties at the back ? The answer is probably a bit of both. Few times yesterday watching  the game again there were balls he could have come and cleared out, He does seem to have lost the confidence to do that and the communication doesn't seem to be what it should.

The unsettled defense has been no doubt been a major fact in his reluctance to come off his line as much as he perhaps should and but how we can address this successfully before the end of the season is difficult to. A few clean sheets and solid efforts from the back four is what we need. We just don't have a credible top class under-study. If we did the case would be overwhelming to stand Mig down for a bit but Jones is not a credible option. Big worry

This is going to look like Code levels of anal retentive banality. But here's the defensive line-up for first 10 matches of the season:

W1-0 Stoke (H) Johnson Toure Agger Enrique (W)

W0-1 Villa (A) Johnson Toure Agger Enrique

W1-0 Utd (H) Johnson (Wisdom - 79' ) Skrtel (Toure injured) Agger Enrique

D2-2 Swan (A) Wisdom (Johnson injured) Skrtel Sakho Enrique

L0-1 South (H)  Toure Skrtel Sakho Agger (Enrique - 57' )

W3-1 Sund (A) Toure Skrtel Sakho Enrique

W4-1 Palace (H) Toure Skrtel Sakho (Agger - 67' ) Enrique

D2-2 New (A) Johnson (Sterling - 83' ) Skrtel Sakho (Luis Alberto - 63' ) Cissokho (Enrique injured)

W4-1 WBA (H) Johnson (Kelly - 62' ) Skrtel Sakho Cissokho

L2-0 Ars (A) Flanagan (Moses - 68' ) Skrtel Sakho Cissokho Booked (Coutinho - 45' )

8 changes in 10

Never lost a match in which Enrique started.

Decent fullbacks = less jittery centre backs. I was never Enrique's biggest fan, but we've definitely missed him. 

The loss of Enrique to injury, and Johnson to shiteness should not be underestimated.

Add in Sakho's injury and its a cocktail of disaster.

I'm not at all surprised we've really struggled. But struggling i can digest, comical individual error's i cannot.

Mignolet clearly has no confidence in his defence, and simply - who can blame him. Reina in his prime knew he had steady, reliable defenders in front of him, and as such could come off his line and perfect his distribution and command of the area. Mignolet looks like a rabbit in the headlights due to the calamity infront of him. Improving the defence, improves the goalkeeper.

• Upvote 1