You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Food Banks

Gnasher

Working poor.

Working and non working.

People that miss JSA appointments by a third of a nanosecond having their benefits stopped for a month.

And, as you say, the millions of people who are technically in work but don't earn anything like a living wage. Due to doing part time, temp work, or zero contract hours, when what they need is a full time job.

Unfortunately loads of people will just read the headlines in the right wing press about how we've miraculously lowered both inflation and unemployment at the same time. Obviously, we've done neither really. Not in any actual real life sense. Many of those who can just about see through the haze of bullshit are unfortunately quite happy to continue blaming people even poorer and/or vulnerable than themselves. The poor, fighting the poorer, on behalf of the rich.

Fucking stupid cunts.

Im shocked.

A lib dem/tory blaming a former government for troubles today. Anyone would have thought they hadn't have 4 years to change things.

You misunderstand. It's not about apportioning blame. I was merely pointing out that the trend is older than May 2010.

It's very easy to play the blame game, but it's a whole lot more productive if you spend the time looking for solutions instead.

You misunderstand. It's not about apportioning blame. I was merely pointing out that the trend is older than May 2010.

It's very easy to play the blame game, but it's a whole lot more productive if you spend the time looking for solutions instead.

What solutions have your coalition government achieved?

• Upvote 1

Well, free school meals for all primary school children will help, as will raising the income tax allowance to £10k. But obviously much more needs to be done.

If I was looking at my own ideas, I note that the DWP is causing at least a third of these cases by taking weeks to process claims. So how about a root and branch reform of the DWP, which continually demonstrates itself unfit for purpose.

Well, free school meals for all primary school children will help, as will raising the income tax allowance to £10k. But obviously much more needs to be done.

If I was looking at my own ideas, I note that the DWP is causing at least a third of these cases by taking weeks to process claims. So how about a root and branch reform of the DWP, which continually demonstrates itself unfit for purpose.

Try months.

And you've Webb working there.

The £10k allowance is only relevant if you have a job and get enough hours to reach the previous tax threshold.

I'm really not looking to have a go at you here mate, I will at the tories and your party but I respect you as a poster even if we completely disagree at times. 

But look at your post. Free school meals and raising the tax threshold to £10k.

Was it really worth propping up these cunts for that?

No PR (which I want)

No AV

No Lords reform

Hated social policies

You're fucked at the next election.

If it's so easy to formally establish a link, then it ought to be no problem to find a report which confirms it, right?

On the other hand, the number of people using food banks has been pretty much doubling every year since 2005, which is a full five years before this government came to power.

So you'll understand, now that I've availed you of the facts, that it's difficult to blame a trend on policies introduced by a government which came to power in 2010 when that trend began in 2005.

Now, you could argue that this government has exacerbated a pre-existing trend, and you'd be on much more solid ground.

Although it must also be said that doubling of foodbanks every year does not mean there are twice as many hungry people every year. One of the reasons more people are using foodbanks is that public servants are not now banned from referring the needy to them.

I notice that the main reason people use foodbanks is delays in sorting out their benefit. Useless government bureaucracy strikes again!

Once again, i will give you the link

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/02/ministers-can-no-longer-deny-link-between-food-banks-and-benefit-cuts

This govts policy on cutting welfare has made people resort to food banks because this governments policy's has made them hungry.

I'm really not looking to have a go at you here mate, I will at the tories and your party but I respect you as a poster even if we completely disagree at times. 

But look at your post. Free school meals and raising the tax threshold to £10k.

Was it really worth propping up these cunts for that?

No PR (which I want)

No AV

No Lords reform

Hated social policies

You're fucked at the next election.

PR we'll only get with Labour's help (arf). Ditto Lords reform. The electorate rejected AV, so that's not our fault.

As for the next election, we'll see.

Once again, i will give you the link

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/02/ministers-can-no-longer-deny-link-between-food-banks-and-benefit-cuts

This govts policy on cutting welfare has made people resort to food banks because this governments policy's has made them hungry.

That's just an article. Not evidence.

I'm already aware of the report mentioned in the article. The report said it couldn't establish a clear link between welfare reform and increased demand. Hence my questions.

That's just an article. Not evidence.I'm already aware of the report mentioned in the article. The report said it couldn't establish a clear link between welfare reform and increased demand. Hence my questions.

The number of people using food banks has risen from approx 40,000 in 2010 to 500,000 today.

To deny govt policy has not been a major factor in such a dramatic increase is bizarre. Or as this article says "cowardly"

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/28/coalition-wont-face-fact-of-food-banks

The number of iphones has risen massively from 2010 to today. Does that mean iphones are to blame for the proliferation of food banks too? Of course not.

I'm not denying a link, I'm saying there is currently insufficient evidence to conclusively support one. You can use whatever adjectives you like, but I prefer "scientific".

The number of iphones has risen massively from 2010 to today. Does that mean iphones are to blame for the proliferation of food banks too? Of course not.I'm not denying a link, I'm saying there is currently insufficient evidence to conclusively support one. You can use whatever adjectives you like, but I prefer "scientific".

I phones? What are you on about?

Lets take this in baby steps,

1, The government slashes benefits ie crisis loans, 7 days till a person can claim benefits, delayed payments etc

2. People who normally feed themselves or their families out of them benefits are now sent to local authorities who give them tickets to food banks. This policy results in...

3. More people using food banks. People using food banks has increased from 40,000 to 500,000 since 2010.

4. People use food banks as a last resort because of hunger.

5. This is Britain in the year 2014.

It's really not that hard to understand, the Church of England, the leader of the Catholic Church in Britain, almost every front line organisation involved in food banks has recently criticised govt policy regarding the upsurge of food banks. Bishops have called the situation "a national crisis" it's well documented and isn't going away.

If you want to pull the duvet over your head and him rule britannia or play your fiddle while britain starves be my quest, but the only people who will take your denials seriously are Ian Duncan Smith and the extreme right wing of the tory party.

Correlation is not causation. That's the point.

You can post as many dodgy chronologies as you like, and I'm sure many will be persuaded.

However, I'm going to wait for hard evidence.

Here's another view from people on the ground, child action groups recent statement on foodbanks,

http://www.cpag.org.uk/content/new-government-commissioned-report-admits-genuine-need-food-aid-uk

135,000 last year used foodbanks "to feed children"

Of course you can discount people with first hand knowledge of the subject and spout the govt line peddled by Ian Duncan Smith & co, but you may end up less convincing than comical Ali.

Have they finally established a causal link? All the reports I've seen have been unable to do so and, as we all know, cum hoc ergo propter hoc isn't enough.

Here's another example of "a casual link" that govt policy is responsible for the rise in food banks, this is from a right wing think tank.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/welfare-cuts-benefits-blunders-forcing-3200686

Guest Numero Veinticinco

We took our daughter for her 1 year check up last week, the health centre had loads of posters on the wall showing stats for the area. By the age of 4 31% of Stockport's children are overweight. Are they the ones that are starving?

No. 

• Upvote 1