You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Food Banks

Gnasher

• 8 months later...

The figures would be less if more people were considerate enough to just die,

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/benefit-changes-are-killing-the-vulnerable-say-campaigners-9877872.html

The British have been socially engineered into hating each other that's why, rather than the people who steal their birthright and fair share of resources, land and wealth. Every time someone goes on strike over pensions the default position of the masses isn't to say 'they've got a good pension, I want one too!', it's, 'they've got a good pension, I haven't therefore they shouldn't either.' We're a slave race, we always have been. Get down the pub and drink some Victory Gin while I go home to Dowmton Abbey and sort out my Bupa membership.

• Upvote 2

A cooked chicken at Tesco is £3. That feeds 4 people - if you are dumb enough to buy a Big Mac you are dumb, not poor.

It's £6 for a small cooked chicken in ours. I think you're a bit out of touch. You can probably double that once you've bought vegetables. That's £12 a day for a main meal, times 7 is £74 a week, just for a meal a day. That's probably more than their whole week's shopping budget, not including breakfasts, lunches, cleaning stuff, toiletries, drinks etc.

A civilised, wealthy society should not have a place for food banks. The fact that we need them at all is what people should be bellyaching about, not a few people 'scamming' a free box of groceries. Have you seen the shit they get given? If a person is made up because they've scored a packet of instant mash, some super noodles and a tin of ham, then fucking good luck to them - they must be needy. It's generally cheap processed shit that has a long shelf life. People donate it because it's cheap. You'd only eat it if you really needed to.

Its the Christmas collection for the Trussell trust in tesco next weekend, remember tesco top up whatever is donated by around 30%. They base this on the weight of foods collected. When a food tray is full we weigh it and record it, forwarding the figures on to tesco, so if you do donate, donate the heaviest stuff you can possibly find. 

• Upvote 4

Its the Christmas collection for the Trussell trust in tesco next weekend, remember tesco top up whatever is donated by around 30%. They base this on the weight of foods collected. When a food tray is full we weigh it and record it, forwarding the figures on to tesco, so if you do donate, donate the heaviest stuff you can possibly find.

I picked up the leaflet for this yesterday and it said they base it on estimated value of the product, and only then does weight come into it. It wasn't massively clear, but I'd guess that a 400g tin of lychees will be valued higher than a 400g tin of peas, even though they weigh the same.

I picked up the leaflet for this yesterday and it said they base it on estimated value of the product, and only then does weight come into it. It wasn't massively clear, but I'd guess that a 400g tin of lychees will be valued higher than a 400g tin of peas, even though they weigh the same.

As far as I know (i'm only in the stockroom) thats about right, however, given i go through the boxes of food for the following 3 days, the chances of people donating the finer products is pretty much non existent. What i can say is that i'll probably have to date sort about a cage of value beans, with the odd tin of heinz, a cage of pasta with the odd packet of napolina and maybe out of the 20 or so cages a small box of coffee. Cheap, own brand coffee, in the 3 years i've volunteered i've probably seen a decent coffee put through the donation system maybe 5 times, if that. People have the attitude that just because people use food banks they'll be happy for anything. People eat it to avoid starving, I'm pretty sure they don't enjoy it. 

Tesco know a lot about charity. What with them taking handouts from the UK taxpayer all year round. 

Pay your tax and pay your staff a living wage so the taxpayer doesn't have to subsidise your operation and then maybe there will be a little less need for charity.

I couldn't agree more. Just because I value the collection doesn't mean i value the company. 

As far as I know (i'm only in the stockroom) thats about right, however, given i go through the boxes of food for the following 3 days, the chances of people donating the finer products is pretty much non existent. What i can say is that i'll probably have to date sort about a cage of value beans, with the odd tin of heinz, a cage of pasta with the odd packet of napolina and maybe out of the 20 or so cages a small box of coffee. Cheap, own brand coffee, in the 3 years i've volunteered i've probably seen a decent coffee put through the donation system maybe 5 times, if that. People have the attitude that just because people use food banks they'll be happy for anything. People eat it to avoid starving, I'm pretty sure they don't enjoy it.

To be honest, if I was buying stuff to donate, I'd probably consider it a better use of my resources to buy, say, three tins of value beans rather than one of Heinz beans. I mean, they are what they say on the tin - value goods. If you're looking to wring the most bang out of your buck, it makes crude sense to go no frills.

I had a quick look in my cupboards last night, but most of my tinned stuff is out of date. All I found so far is a tin of Morrison's peas. A more exhaustive search may turn up more.

To be honest, if I was buying stuff to donate, I'd probably consider it a better use of my resources to buy, say, three tins of value beans rather than one of Heinz beans. I mean, they are what they say on the tin - value goods. If you're looking to wring the most bang out of your buck, it makes crude sense to go no frills.

I had a quick look in my cupboards last night, but most of my tinned stuff is out of date. All I found so far is a tin of Morrison's peas. A more exhaustive search may turn up more.

I agree, its just frustrating. The food we give out I actually buy for the cats and dog sometimes when i'm out shopping. 

Allot of people making up food parcels are clueless on how to do so, the list says x so they put x in - not I'm putting in chili sauce so i'll throw in extra beans to bulk it out and they could actually get a couple of days meals in. It's like you have to train people how to prepare a cheap box of value food to make edible food out of it. Not just have the poor sod sat there with a fork and a tin of beans. Though we have and do prepare homeless food boxes where I'm sure many have to eat like this.

Many food banks will take out of date food, check your local one - so long as its within a couple of months or so we have a box thats basically a help yourself - just be aware that they're past their best date. Give them a call and ask? 

• 2 years later...

Massive rise in use of food banks reported since the punishment of universal debits pushed on the poorest people in our country.

Let's not forget the Labour right wingers and lib dems who helped push through this shit. The tories are just fucking evil cunts who should be set alight and then be helped by putting the fire out with a shovel.

It may not do much good but maybe if we all took a few minutes to phone/write or see your local mp/councillor and tell then how disgusting it is that people with nothing have to wait 6 weeks for payment that could easily be done in days it may change the outlook, abut probably not.

• 4 years later...

Absolutely disgraceful. Yet that 18th century literature quoting cunt gets a free reign not to disclose his millions stashed in offshore tax havens and speak in parliament like some sort of spokesperson for capitalism and sweat shops. Fuck this country and these Tory cunts 

What type of utter  basket case of a country sees a 100%explosion in food banks and instead of looking at the policies of the party in power for that period,will instead dispute the motivations of those needing them?

I remember peter price commentating that he saw someone use a foodbank who had a mobile phone.