You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Food Banks

Gnasher

Both the Catholic and Anglican Church has this week attacked the govt over the rise in people being forced into using food banks, half a million Britons have been to a food bank since last Easter.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/feb/20/bishops-blame-cameron-food-bank-crisis

Anyone on here used/worked or donated to one?

To me, it does not appear the people who really need it get it, and I've come across many instances of people gloating about the haul they have amassed from it. However, I've no doubt it's helping some, then you wonder well what the fuck was everyone doing before them ?? dying of starvation ?? this is why I should not get into debates.

To me, it does not appear the people who really need it get it, and I've come across many instances of people gloating about the haul they have amassed from it. However, I've no doubt it's helping some, then you wonder well what the fuck was everyone doing before them ?? dying of starvation ?? this is why I should not get into debates.

"What the fuck was everyone doing before them??"

Getting the welfare payments they were entitled to and buying the food themselves would be my wild guess.

• Upvote 1

I thought their was a whole process you had to go through before you are qualified to access them. They have risen because of welfare sanctions and a couple of lads I work with have been talking about them because they are only getting one days work a week, just talking about them but I can see the growing worry. ( zero hour.. Exclusive to company classed as full time ). Its infuriating to be honest I feel so bad for them. Shame on anybody who does qualify and then brags about their haul, those who genuinely are in need often feel a sense of shame. Its all a bit crap isn't it.

• Upvote 1

Getting the welfare payments they were entitled to and buying the food themselves would be my wild guess.

Oh there's always one isn't there, getting all excited over nothing, To be perfectly honest whilst the use of food banks is continually questioned over the merits of entitlement, I don't see how you can get all worked up over my comment.

Well, no, because as long as I've been aware unemployment benefits have always been paid in arrears and I honestly dont know how people without friends/family have been meant to survive that lag between signing on and benefit being paid

Well, no, because as long as I've been aware unemployment benefits have always been paid in arrears and I honestly dont know how people without friends/family have been meant to survive that lag between signing on and benefit being paid

You could get a repayable crisis loan which would cover you for essentials like food, this benefit has been stopped by this government.

• Upvote 1

Yep forum going slow. They can't exceed credit limit now because they can't get credit. The benefit was repayable so no cost to the public purse, so the govt spin on not being able to afford it and savings must be made etc is nonsense and the policy of stopping crisis loans for the most vulnerable people in society seems to be out of spite. Food banks are the result.

Yeah, but what abiut those who'd exceeded their credit limit?

Is the forum playing silly beggars for you too?

I meant before Crisis Loans were stopped.

But you're right, if people were only ever borrowing their own money how could it have cost anything beyond its administration?

You could get a repayable crisis loan which would cover you for essentials like food, this benefit has been stopped by this government.

This government stopped crisis loans. Apparently there new trick now to stop peoples benefits  is every time you sign on they give you a different time to sign on the next time. If you miss the time you dont get money for 4 weeks then 13 weeks then 52 weeks.

This government stopped crisis loans. Apparently there new trick now to stop peoples benefits  is every time you sign on they give you a different time to sign on the next time. If you miss the time you dont get money for 4 weeks then 13 weeks then 52 weeks.

That is just despicable

I've donated a fair few times. I always buy baby food, formula and snacks for the little ones. It's all well and good taking home some tins but some people can't afford to feed their kids (different argument if you want to come back with they shouldn't have kids if they can't afford it, but hey it happens) so it's always nice to know my donation has gone to a welcoming home.

• Upvote 3

I've donated a fair few times. I always buy baby food, formula and snacks for the little ones. It's all well and good taking home some tins but some people can't afford to feed their kids (different argument if you want to come back with they shouldn't have kids if they can't afford it, but hey it happens) so it's always nice to know my donation has gone to a welcoming home.

Indeed. Mrs Turdseye told me she had to go to one once in a time of need, long before I met her. I'm not the most charitable person but if I see the food bank guys at Tesco or whatever I'll always grab a couple of things for them off the leaflet they hand out. Tinned fruit, rice pudding, etc.

• Upvote 2