You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Food Banks

Gnasher

We took our daughter for her 1 year check up last week, the health centre had loads of posters on the wall showing stats for the area. By the age of 4 31% of Stockport's children are overweight. Are they the ones that are starving?

Pretty daft thing to say, Louise Mensch esque. Are people with phones not poor either? Obesity in children is often to do with food poverty due to the fact their parents feed then chesp, processed shite. Despite what Jamie Oliver says, it is quite difficult to feed a family of four for 3.50.

• Upvote 4

Pretty daft thing to say, Louise Mensch esque. Are people with phones not poor either? Obesity in children is often to do with food poverty due to the fact their parents feed then chesp, processed shite. Despite what Jamie Oliver says, it is quite difficult to feed a family of four for 3.50.

I don't think they are no. Perhaps it's a generational thing, I can remember my gran telling me how when her husband died at 40 she had a couple of pounds to her name and 5 kids to support. So poverty was always 'real' and my mum, aunties and uncles all remembered it and talk about it. Ask them if you can be poor with a phone.

I don't think they are no. Perhaps it's a generational thing, I can remember my gran telling me how when her husband died at 40 she had a couple of pounds to her name and 5 kids to support. So poverty was always 'real' and my mum, aunties and uncles all remembered it and talk about it. Ask them if you can be poor with a phone.

By that logic your nan wouldn't have been poor according to Charles Dickens and thus not deserving of any help or sympathy.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

By that logic your nan wouldn't have been poor according to Charles Dickens and thus not deserving of any help or sympathy.

She didn't get any help. Her husband raised all the money to build a Catholic Church in their new estate, they prayed for her. Not very filling those prayers.

So did my Nan,with 8 kids to feed but it still doesnt mean people today arent still poor. Trickle down economics is total bullshit and just another way to reward the rich and entrap the poorer people. We are a filthy rich country despite what the Politicians tell you.

As for the fat kids argument,ask yourself when do you see the supermarkets put the healthy stuff on offer like fruit and veg versus the shite like crisps,chocolates and burgers. Hardly ever happens.

When money is tight its easier to spend a couple of quid on a big mac than blow half of your weekly/monthly budget on fruit and veg.

Of course we are rich, it's obvious. How many Nandos are there, McDonald's, etc. I'm not saying some people aren't hard up, that's obvious too, but they aren't poor. If you've got a house, free healthcare, schooling and can afford to make the decision to buy shit food instead of healthy food you ain't poor.

We took our daughter for her 1 year check up last week, the health centre had loads of posters on the wall showing stats for the area. By the age of 4 31% of Stockport's children are overweight. Are they the ones that are starving?

Obviously not. Did they have a poster charting the other 69%?

Of course we are rich, it's obvious. How many Nandos are there, McDonald's, etc. I'm not saying some people aren't hard up, that's obvious too, but they aren't poor. If you've got a house, free healthcare, schooling and can afford to make the decision to buy shit food instead of healthy food you ain't poor.

Surely that is the point, they can't afford to buy the healthy food only the cheap processed shit food.

• Upvote 1

A lot of people homes are under real threat (bedroom tax) and an ever larger swathe of people do not have as much as "a few quid" to their name, hence the rise in foodbanks.

It's not a bedroom tax, it's a spare bedroom tax.

No it isnt. Its an alleged spare bedroom tax on non homeowners,ergo the poorer members of the country. There are plenty of spare bedrooms around the country in homes owned but they dont qualify for this tax.

I know of plenty in a big house in London just off Pall Mall.

Its much cheaper than cooking it in a Gas oven.

He didn't starve because he was poor he starved because he was mentally ill, Just like the Coroner said.

The fact he had no money to buy food due to Atos declaring him fit for work, meaning his benefits were stopped may have also have been a factor.