You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Line of Duty

RedKnight

I think it’s pretty clear that Covid affected the whole thing. I don’t know the ins and outs of the production but everything from the dialogue to the acting to the narrative structure had fallen off a cliff from the previous five series, in my view. It can’t be a coincidence that that happens at the same time as huge enforced changes to TV production processes and enormous  pressure to deliver new content quickly are brought to bear on the entire medium. 

Overall, Line Of Duty was ace, but this is definitely the right time to let it end. Thought the new Mercurio show they trailed at the end looked good though. 

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

One thing I did learn, you get given a cracking house in witness protection, that detached cottage must be £750k plus easily. I thought it would be a grim little flat somewhere in Essex but obviously not. 

Retriever thrown in as well.

They went with a slightly more realistic approach with the ending but that's not what the shows about, it needed a twist or something shocking like Hastings sticking Carmichael's head on a pike and taking it around Terry Boyles new gaff as a housewarming present.

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

One thing I did learn, you get given a cracking house in witness protection, that detached cottage must be £750k plus easily. I thought it would be a grim little flat somewhere in Essex but obviously not. 

She did far better than that Gill woman who got a grim terrace in the middle of a feral estate with only a scrambler bike as a bonus.

I am coming to terms a bit with the ending as realistically there are very few Moriartys around , and a quick check of any Echo front page will show greed and lack of morality are the key traits in high end criminals rather than intelligence.

19 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I wouldn't be against a two hour Xmas special , I think a new series would need a new arc though.

Kate and Steve getting together at the Christmas do ala Dawn and Tim and Hastings telling Carmichael to "Fuck off" would be ace.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Champ said:

There’s enough unfinished business for another outing

To be honest I don't think I'd watch it again if it was the same old shit. If it was a whole new case starting from scratch perhaps, but not all the balaclava men in range rovers "who is H" stuff.

The henchmen stuff is proper comedy, like the way batman villains in the 60s just had this endless supply of hired goons who were easily dispensed with but never seemed to make it to court or police interview stage.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

To be honest I don't think I'd watch it again if it was the same old shit. If it was a whole new case starting from scratch perhaps, but not all the balaclava men in range rovers "who is H" stuff.

The henchmen stuff is proper comedy, like the way batman villains in the 60s just had this endless supply of hired goons who were easily dispensed with but never seemed to make it to court or police interview stage.

It's like there's an OCG Tree somewhere that endlessly bears identikit gang members none of which look realistic. They should all look like those mancs protesting yesterday, that's what they actually dress like in their bubble coats, snoods and Nike trainers not like Swat teams.

I hadn't watched any of this series but I did take in the last twenty minutes of last night's episode. As I had absolutely no idea of what had gone before, wasn't familiar with any of the characters and had zero undersanding of what anyone was talking about, I have to say that I found it quite satisfying. Then I watched the news.

Me and the mrs have tried to get into this a couple of times and found it really cheesy. Utter shite by all accounts.

There just isn’t any grit to it - it’s like an unrealistic portrayal of everything. The dialogue, the conversations, the music over slow mos between the plot. 

It might be that it’s meant to be like that, but we could get into it at all

5 minutes ago, belarus said:

Me and the mrs have tried to get into this a couple of times and found it really cheesy. Utter shite by all accounts.

There just isn’t any grit to it - it’s like an unrealistic portrayal of everything. The dialogue, the conversations, the music over slow mos between the plot. 

Have you seen the earlier seasons? The Lenny James one was good, it was mainly about him fiddling stats and then the OCG stuff came into it later. 

I think there's scope there for doing investigations into actual corrupt copper cases, it went a bit crackers with having coppers who'd just turn around and start shooting each other with machine guns. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Champ said:

Pray tell

Just a joke about the pulchritude of female prison staff, nothing more than that.

15 minutes ago, belarus said:

The reaction to last night's episode showed that fans really don't like it when it becomes mundane and, well... realistic.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, belarus said:

The BBC are currently showing Between The Lines from the mid 90’s which was a really great series about police corruption....Well worth a watch and way more realistic than Line of Duty

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Stickman said:

The BBC are currently showing Between The Lines from the mid 90’s which was a really great series about police corruption....Well worth a watch and way more realistic than Line of Duty

Nice one mate - will give that a go then. Tried to rep you, but I’ve been jizzing rep all over the shop it seems and I’m high and dry. Sorry