You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Line of Duty

RedKnight

It. Is. Ace. I'm so fired up by the end of each episode that it takes me a while to settle down again. Keeley Hawes has been terrific so far.

I get the idea that there are many on here who have completely rejected British tv. Sure, there's a lot of dross but then they miss stuff like this

I get the idea that there are many on here who have completely rejected British tv. Sure, there's a lot of dross but then they miss stuff like this

I've said it before when discussing US/UK TV. American critics think that Britain makes some of the finest TV in the world, the same way that we think that about them. When you get TV that's different to what you're used to it then it makes it that more appealing. The Americans buzz off of Downton Abbey, Luther, Black Mirror and Doctor Who.

I've said it before when discussing US/UK TV. American critics think that Britain makes some of the finest TV in the world, the same way that we think that about them. When you get TV that's different to what you're used to it then it makes it that more appealing. The Americans buzz off of Downton Abbey, Luther, Black Mirror and Doctor Who.

This is interesting with regards the writer:

Jed Mercurio (born 1966) is a British television writer-producer-director and novelist. He is reported to be one of the few British script-writers to work as a US-style showrunner.[1]

The issue with British TV is systemic, I think the shows you mention there are run by their writers due to their pedigree (Fellowes and Moffat), the vast bulk of British TV is run by 22-year-old producers. I'll give this a look though deffo, anything with Lenny James in has got to be worth a punt, his character in Jericho is still one of my all tinme favourites.

I typed a really long post then accidentally clicked back and lost it all. Top and bottom of it, the US is starting to follow the UK model of smaller episode runs and one person doing the lion's share of the writing. True Detective being the notable, recent example.

I reckon you'll really like this show. 

I remember seeing some of the first series and have watched both episodes of the current series so far. Dailymotion seems to be pretty good for finding full episodes of stuff like this, so I've managed to catch the whole of the first series again. You see shows like this which are largely based on stuff that really goes on within the police force, and yet some police authorities still want to pretend that their officers are squeaky clean.

It. Is. Ace. I'm so fired up by the end of each episode that it takes me a while to settle down again. Keeley Hawes has been terrific so far.

Agreed. It is fucking fantastic. I loved the way episode 2 ended with such a tantalising cliffhanger but no shitty preview/spoiler immediately after it for next week's episode. This one is way better than the first series and I thought that was really good.

It's fucking brilliant. The cliffhanger at the end of the first episode had me and the missus blown away.

Keely Hawes is incredible, has she put weight on or is it just great lighting and makeup because she looks plain - and she's far from plain.

Totally agree on her physical transformation. I've always thought she was an annoying bint who just played variations on a role. This part has launched that idea out of the window. She's a proper actor who is out-doing my favourite - Vicky McClure - by a mile, in this.

Totally agree on her physical transformation. I've always thought she was an annoying bint who just played variations on a role. This part has launched that idea out of the window. She's a proper actor who is out-doing my favourite - Vicky McClure - by a mile, in this.

I see what you did there