You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Youth Team/Cup

old skool tom

6 hours ago, aRdja said:

Any of you blokes surprised by the progress made by Morton? He’s looked quite promising. His talent isn’t quite as obvious as Jones or Harvey, but he looks comfortable enough.

Not really surprised by his progress, though him playing a full 90 for the first team has probably come much earlier than I would have guessed.

He was a standout for the 18s the season before last, forging a good partnership with Dom Corness in the middle of the park.

He then made the jump to the 23s last season after starting the season with the 18s and took it like a duck to water, didn't miss a step. He worked really well alongside Cain, Clarkson and co in the centre of the pitch for the 23s.

He continued his good form for the 23s into the start of this season where he became the main man in midfield for the 23s following the loans for Cain and Clarkson, so it was only a matter of time before he made his way into the first-team squad at some stage this season.

He's obviously benefited from one or two injuries and the likes of Cain and Clarkson having gone out on loan, but he's certainly grabbed the opportunities presented to him.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Is Morton more highly rated than Clarkson? I remember Klopp sort of compared Clarkson to Lahm. 

I think Clarkson's more expansive in his play, but Morton might be more equipped physically. Clarkson's size and relative lack of pace is what might hold him back. Like, Chirivella would be a good watermark for him to reach at the moment, let alone a real first team option.

And I say that as a fan of his. Smart player.