You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Youth Team/Cup

old skool tom

Good team performance. Balagizi and Musialowski will get the plaudits, but Stephenson and the 2 centre-backs were excellent throughout. Both full-backs played well too, as did Corness and Morton in the centre of the park.

Woltman was full of running and deserved his goal in the first half.

Arsenal were very Arsenal like, moving the ball well from side to side, trying to work the perfect goal. The lad Azeez was their standout, with the left-winger Kido Taylor-Hart not far behind.

• Upvote 3

Is it just me, but when we play teams like this, Arsenal especially, most of their lads look about 25 whereas most of ours look 12. And it usually seems that we run out of legs after an hour. Having said that, the defensive work for the last 20 was excellent and Arsenal barely troubled our goalie.

• Upvote 1

23s are in action on Monday afternoon - Penultimate game of the season.

They host Leicester at The Academy with kick-off at midday. The final game for the 23s is the following Monday, again versus Leicester in the return fixture.

The 18s finish their league season on Tuesday afternoon when they host Derby County at The Academy, with kick-off at 12:30.

The games on Tuesday is scheduled to be shown live on the offal, and I'm sure I heard SHunter mention that the game on Monday was to be shown live too, but there's no confirmation on the offal as yet.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dynamite said:

23s are in action on Monday afternoon - Penultimate game of the season.

They host Leicester at The Academy with kick-off at midday. The final game for the 23s is the following Monday, again versus Leicester in the return fixture.

The 18s finish their league season on Tuesday afternoon when they host Derby County at The Academy, with kick-off at 12:30.

The games on Tuesday is scheduled to be shown live on the offal, and I'm sure I heard SHunter mention that the game on Monday was to be shown live too, but there's no confirmation on the offal as yet.

The fixtures page hasn’t been updated, but the LFCTV schedule at https://www.liverpoolfc.com/lfctv for Monday has.

49 minutes ago, Pidge said:

On a scale of Banton to Sterling, how good is Balagizi?

He's 'Jerome Sinclair' level. 

Our academy needs fucking an overhaul.  I refuse to believe we can unearth the odd world class talent every 10 years  but no steady-eddies like Milner roll off the production line. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

On a scale of Banton to Sterling, how good is Balagizi?

Stands out at the level he's playing at, to be fair. Had a few injuries through the season, nothing major, but a few niggling injuries - still growing. His form recently has been very good and he deserves the credit he's received of late.

Much like Musialowski, he is an exciting prospect but needs to be tested up in the 23s. Both can be match-winners, but both can be guilty of drifting out of games too, Musialowksi more so in that regard.

Neither are as good as Raheem was at that age - Jordon Ibe was also better than both at the same age.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

Stands out at the level he's playing at, to be fair. Had a few injuries through the season, nothing major, but a few niggling injuries - still growing. His form recently has been very good and he deserves the credit he's received of late.

Much like Musialowski, he is an exciting prospect but needs to be tested up in the 23s. Both can be match-winners, but both can be guilty of drifting out of games too, Musialowksi more so in that regard.

Neither are as good as Raheem was at that age - Jordon Ibe was also better than both at the same age.

They both have promise as do a few others, I can see a few coming through.

28 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

They both have promise as do a few others, I can see a few coming through.

It's very easy to get a little excited about attacking players at the youth levels as the coaching is focused on attacking, playing out from the back, etc... The defending isn't always the greatest at this level - as we all know, the mental aspects of the game come through time, experience and maturity.

The players I'm higher on, are the lads who have already made the step up to the 23s and haven't really missed a step while doing so - The likes of Tyler Morton, Conor Bradley and Owen Beck pique my interest far more at the moment than Balagizi and Musialowski right now. Given time I'm hopeful that the latter will make me pay more attention to them.

The one attacking player that I am really keen on for the 18s is Frauendorf - just something about the lad that has clicked for me. Still a million miles away from being the finished article of course, but I've liked what I've seen from him since he came in.

I've said it before in this thread, the collection of players we have in the 18s at the moment is the best group of prospects we've had at the youth level for quite some time. We've had 1 or 2 that have stood out from their peers in the past, but there are several players in this group who have a legitimate chance of breaking through. In my humble opinion, of course...

• Upvote 6

40 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

It's very easy to get a little excited about attacking players at the youth levels as the coaching is focused on attacking, playing out from the back, etc... The defending isn't always the greatest at this level - as we all know, the mental aspects of the game come through time, experience and maturity.

The players I'm higher on, are the lads who have already made the step up to the 23s and haven't really missed a step while doing so - The likes of Tyler Morton, Conor Bradley and Owen Beck pique my interest far more at the moment than Balagizi and Musialowski right now. Given time I'm hopeful that the latter will make me pay more attention to them.

The one attacking player that I am really keen on for the 18s is Frauendorf - just something about the lad that has clicked for me. Still a million miles away from being the finished article of course, but I've liked what I've seen from him since he came in.

I've said it before in this thread, the collection of players we have in the 18s at the moment is the best group of prospects we've had at the youth level for quite some time. We've had 1 or 2 that have stood out from their peers in the past, but there are several players in this group who have a legitimate chance of breaking through. In my humble opinion, of course...

Good post

Half-time - Liverpool 2 Leicester 1

As mentioned, I missed the first 15-20 minutes, so not able to comment on the red card or our opening goal.

From what I have seen, the lads are putting in a hell of a shift in horrible conditions.

We've actually looked more dangerous going forward, on the break, than our opponents who have 11 on the park.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

Half-time - Liverpool 2 Leicester 1

From what I have seen, the lads are putting in a hell of a shift in horrible conditions.

We've actually looked more dangerous going forward, on the break, than our opponents who have 11 on the park.

I missed the last 5 minutes, but would agree with all the above . Glatzel has looked good.

Just caught replays of the sending off and our opening goal.

Harsh red card, but Boyes has to stay on his feet. You can't go to ground like that without risking giving the referee a decision to make, and we all know the standards of referees in this country...

Clarkson's goal was nice, a lung-bursting run and a clever little change of direction in the box to get in front of his marker. Nice pick out by Glatzel too.