You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Youth Team/Cup

old skool tom

Full time - Liverpool 2 Manchester United 2

Off to extra time we go.

Been very one sided since Boyes was sent off. The lads at the back have done superbly well so far, but you sense that we're only going to be able to hold out for so long as the visitors are well on top.

Liverpool 2 Manchester United 3

A tired challenge from Longstaff on the edge on the box gives the visitors a free kick in a really dangerous position. Mason Greenwood steps up again and fires in another terrific free kick to put the visitors in front for the first time.

Jaros had no chance again. Very well struck free kick.

Can't see us getting back into this here.

Half time in extra time - Liverpool 2 Manchester Utd 3

Been one way traffic in the first 15 of extra time. Cracking free kick to put them ahead.

We've looked to break when we can, and we've been thwarted by a couple of timely interceptions.

Full time - Liverpool 2 Manchester Utd 3

The red card for Boyes changed the game. Mason Greenwood took over and showed why he's so highly rated. Two cracking free kicks and an assist for the young striker.

Our lads worked their socks off throughout and especially when down to 10, but it was always going to be a difficult ask a man down.

• Upvote 2

Looks like we're going to see the promotion of 18s into the 23s a little earlier this season after the deadline day outgoings.

Matty Virtue has moved to Blackpool on a permanent deal, with Liam Millar & Pedro Chirivella heading out on loan for the remainder of the season.

The gaps left by Virtue & Chirivella will mean for game time for Coyle in the 23s. Abdi Sharif has recently made some appearances for the 23s, so I can see him being involved more too, while Connor Randall may also get more playing time in central midfield once Hoever and Neco Williams are fit again.

Obviously Woodburn not going on loan means that he's likely to get some time in the 23s, though it'll be interesting to see what plans Klopp has for Ben for the second half of the season. Also, when he does play for the 23s, will it be from wide on the left, or as a central midfielder.

The loan for Liam Millar suggests to me that we may be seeing Rhian Brewster coming back fairly soon, as other than the lads in the 18s, we're a little light up top in the 23s - Glen McAuley the only striker solely for the 23s. I suspect we'll see Duncan & Glatzel get some time with the 23s, though perhaps not at the same time - I expect a rotation of sorts for those 2.

I'd like to see Dixon-Bonner move up into the 23s setup, as I'm a big fan of the lad and feel he's not really had enough game time in the 18s this season.

So, for the remainder of the season, I'd suggest the core of the 23's squad will be as follows:

GK - Shamal George & Kai McKenzie-Lyle (Kelleher to be rotated in once in a while too when not with the first team).

RB - Ki-Jana Hoever & Neco Williams (Connor Randall to see game time here too)

LB - Juanma & Adam Lewis (Tony Gallacher will be an option when he returns to fitness & Yasser Larouci may see some game time when 18s have a week off)

CB - George Johnston, Conor Masterson & Corey Whelan (Nat Phillips will get time when he returns from injury too).

CM - Liam Coyle & Isaac Christie-Davies (Connor Randall & Adam Lewis will see game time in central midfield when not being used at full back)

AM - Bobby Adekanye, Ben Woodburn, Curtis Jones & Rafa Camacho (Adekanye is currently injured and the other 3 will be subject to rotation given that they are virtually training full time with the first team).

ST - Glen McAuley (As the only 23s striker remaining in the squad, I expect Duncan & Glatzel to get more game time in the 23s)

There are a few lads in the 18s who may get the odd push up into the 23s, such as Dixon-Bonner, Rhys Williams, Abdi Sharif, Luis Longstaff & Eddie Tagseth (when fit).

As for the 18s, I want to see more of Niall Brookwell and I'd like to see Dal Varesanovic make the squad for the 18s providing he's fit enough. It will also be good to see O'Rourke get more game time for the 18s when Duncan & Glatzel are promoted to the 23s.

• Upvote 4

McKenzie-Lyle was a number padding signing. Can't see him having a long term future here. His signing has however allowed Grabara to go on loan and Kelleher to be more involved in the first team setup. So not all bad.

Jaros cannot be far away from making his debut for the 23s. I've no idea who the 16s have in net and if they are anywhere near ready for the jump to the 18s to allow Jaros to move up.

The other keepers we have in the ressies/youth setup, Dan Atherton & Ben Williams, are not long term prospects in my opinion.

20 minutes ago, Red House said:

Conor Randall is still here?

Cinco and Dynamite, what are your thoughts on Adam Lewis? We will almost certainly need a new left-back with Moreno. Think he's ready to step up? Or are we more likely to sign a new Robbo back-up?

Randall came back from a loan spell due to injury. Don't see him being here beyond this season. I don't mind the lad, but he needs to move on for the good of his career.

I think I'm going to be in the minority here, but I just don't get the fuss with Lewis. I think he's massively overrated. Yes, he has a good left foot, but the lad cannot defend for toffee, me thinks he's read the Moreno book of how to not play left back...

That said, Lewis is young enough to make improvements that could put him in line to be Robbo's deputy.

If it were up to me, I'd look elsewhere for a backup to Robbo. I've not seen anything of the lad Lloyd Kelly at Bristol City, but I'm of the thinking that the links to him have something in them. We know Klopp likes a bit of versatility and this lad provides that by being able to play both left back and centre half.

If we're looking for a younger, "inexperienced" backup to Robbo that can be developed, I'd take a look at that Jamal Lewis at Norwich. I think the style of football Norwich are playing would make the transition a little easier for the lad, should a deal come to fruition.

If however, we're looking for a more experienced left back to really push Robbo, then I'd not look much further than his international teammate, Kieran Tierney. I think longer term, Tierney will surpass Robbo as Scotland's best player, be that at left back or elsewhere.

Tierney needs a move soon so he can reach the potential that I believe he has. If he stays at Celtic much longer I worry that he'll not progress as much as I'd hope. Like Robbo, if Tierney is surrounded by better players and better coaching staff, the lad will kick on and be a hell of a player.

I wouldn't want Lewis playing a meaningful 1st-team game at left back right now, he is not ready defensively. I'd argue that the only parts of his game that we could use this season are his set-pieces. I wouldn't have been surprised if we'd loaned him to Rangers, because SG is his biggest fan, and he could definitely use the experience.