You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Youth Team/Cup

old skool tom

13 hours ago, Arnaud said:

Thanks Dynamite and Alles is gut for your comments, reports, match day’s posts !

You both deserve your summer break right now and we expect you to be back in two weeks for the new season ! 

Merci! I'm off to worry about knee ligaments for five weeks and then see about finding the secret pre-season games...

Conor Bradley has been called up to the Northern Ireland senior squad for their upcoming friendlies against Malta and Ukraine.

What an absolutely terrific achievement for the young lad - Just 17 years old and is now on the cusp of a senior international debut.

He's been excellent for the 18s and 23s this season, so it's great to see his efforts and progress rewarded.

23s keeper, Liam Hughes, is also part of the squad.

• Upvote 1

Rather strangely, the 18s hosted Spurs in a friendly at The Academy this afternoon, running out 4-1 winners.

Offal Match Report

Liverpool U18s wrapped up their 2020-21 schedule with a 4-1 defeat of Tottenham Hotspur at the Academy on Saturday afternoon.

Jarell Quansah, Kaide Gordon, James Norris (penalty) and Tyler Morton were on target for the young Reds in Kirkby to sign off their season in style.

It was an action-packed final outing of 2020-21 for Marc Bridge-Wilkinson’s side as they looked to shake off the disappointment of losing the FA Youth Cup final on Monday night.

After Fabian Mrozek kept Spurs out with an excellent, point-blank save just two minutes in, Liverpool found their groove and fashioned a series of chances.

Max Woltman firstly fired into the side-netting having cutely turned on Melkamu Frauendorf’s pass into the box, before the forward struck the post with a low drive from the edge of the area.

Tottenham took a 13th-minute lead from the penalty spot, however, when Quansah’s tackle on the stretch was judged a foul despite his protestations.

The Reds rallied and were repeatedly foiled by the visiting goalkeeper until they found a way through eight minutes before the interval.

Morton’s corner kick from the left-hand side was met by Quansah at the near post and the centre-back headed home to make it 1-1.

The hosts might have snuck in front at half-time, too, as Norris’ outstanding cross-field pass invited Gordon to attack the goal from the right, but he curled just wide after cutting inside.

Gordon was also denied from 12 yards, the Spurs ‘keeper making a brilliant save from his penalty after the attacker’s dribble was halted by a foul.

The theme continued into the second half as Gordon was thwarted by the Tottenham stopper after breaking clear through on goal.

But neither he nor Liverpool gave it up.

On 65 minutes, Mateusz Musialowski – on as part of a rolling substitution policy – picked out Gordon, who again moved in off the flank and this time dispatched his finish into the opposite corner.

Next, he won a second penalty of the afternoon for the Reds as he was brought down in the area; Norris assumed responsibility for the kick and converted for 3-1.

And Morton then put the seal on the match and the season, scoring from a free-kick at the edge of the box in the 87th minute to confirm an impressive result.

Liverpool U18s: Mrozek, Wilson, Chambers, Quansah, Koumetio, Corness, Gordon, Morton, Woltman, Norris, Frauendorf.

Substitutes: Musialowski, Stephenson.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Simbo said:

Anyone know much about Ethan Ennis? Sounds like he’s about to leave our youth setup to join United.

Young forward, (will still be 16 at the start of next season) looked good in limited playing time for the Under-18s in the autumn, also got a hat trick off the bench against Sutton in the Youth Cup at Kirkby. Was said to be ‘injured’ after the Sutton game. It’s a shame if he goes, but these things happen at that level.

On 26/05/2021 at 12:04, Dynamite said:

Conor Bradley has been called up to the Northern Ireland senior squad for their upcoming friendlies against Malta and Ukraine.

What an absolutely terrific achievement for the young lad - Just 17 years old and is now on the cusp of a senior international debut.

He's been excellent for the 18s and 23s this season, so it's great to see his efforts and progress rewarded.

23s keeper, Liam Hughes, is also part of the squad.

Conor made his senior international debut this evening, coming off the bench in the 85th minute to replace Northern Ireland skipper Stuart Dallas during their 3-0 victory against Malta. Liam Hughes was an unused substitute.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Dynamite said:

Conor made his senior international debut this evening, coming off the bench in the 85th minute to replace Northern Ireland skipper Stuart Dallas during their 3-0 victory against Malta. Liam Hughes was an unused substitute.

A right back I’ve read. How’s he compared to Neco talent wise?

10 hours ago, aRdja said:

A right back I’ve read. How’s he compared to Neco talent wise?

We brought him in as a central midfielder and converted him to a right back. Neco started off as a right-winger and was back to right-back when playing for the 18s.

Boundless energy. Gets up and down the right flank all day. Pretty similar to Neco in all fairness.

Conor has been fantastic since he's come in. Started in the 18s, but quickly made appearances for the 23s, and this season he's certainly been one of the best performers, if not the best performer, in the Academy setup. For me anyway. 

He's got good pace without being lightning quick and is a strong runner overall. Makes good use of this defensively when having to make recovery challenges.

Still learning positional sense as can get caught out a little in terms of holding the line, but you have to remember he's just 17, playing in a relatively new position to him, so you have to take that into context. Also, having to play alongside multiple different defensive partners/setups can play into this too.

Going forward, his running power makes him a good outlet, though again, there are areas to work on when he gets into that final third with regard to decision making, be it the final pass or cross. Though again, he's so young that this will develop. Once more, not having consistent lineups at his level will be a contributing factor. Partnerships all over the pitch take time that isn't always afforded or available at the 23s level.

One thing that I must say that does stand him in good stead is his temperament. I can't recall him ever getting frustrated, either with himself or an opponent. Always very composed both on and off the ball. Plays with a smile on his face. If an opponent does beat him the first time they square up, then it's pretty much guaranteed that Conor will win the challenge next time they square up. Adapts well in-game when facing tough opponents.

It's still too early in his development to say if he can make it with us at the senior level. However, his development to date has been very encouraging and I look forward to seeing him develop more in the seasons to come. Hopefully, he can follow up the international debut with an appearance in the League Cup squad next season.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Dynamite said:

We brought him in as a central midfielder and converted him to a right back. Neco started off as a right-winger and was back to right-back when playing for the 18s.

Boundless energy. Gets up and down the right flank all day. Pretty similar to Neco in all fairness.

Conor has been fantastic since he's come in. Started in the 18s, but quickly made appearances for the 23s, and this season he's certainly been one of the best performers, if not the best performer, in the Academy setup. For me anyway. 

He's got good pace without being lightning quick and is a strong runner overall. Makes good use of this defensively when having to make recovery challenges.

Still learning positional sense as can get caught out a little in terms of holding the line, but you have to remember he's just 17, playing in a relatively new position to him, so you have to take that into context. Also, having to play alongside multiple different defensive partners/setups can play into this too.

Going forward, his running power makes him a good outlet, though again, there are areas to work on when he gets into that final third with regard to decision making, be it the final pass or cross. Though again, he's so young that this will develop. Once more, not having consistent lineups at his level will be a contributing factor. Partnerships all over the pitch take time that isn't always afforded or available at the 23s level.

One thing that I must say that does stand him in good stead is his temperament. I can't recall him ever getting frustrated, either with himself or an opponent. Always very composed both on and off the ball. Plays with a smile on his face. If an opponent does beat him the first time they square up, then it's pretty much guaranteed that Conor will win the challenge next time they square up. Adapts well in-game when facing tough opponents.

It's still too early in his development to say if he can make it with us at the senior level. However, his development to date has been very encouraging and I look forward to seeing him develop more in the seasons to come. Hopefully, he can follow up the international debut with an appearance in the League Cup squad next season.

Thanks for all the content around the youngsters, mate.

It's been a pleasure reading these all season, and I've genuinely enjoyed being kept in the loop.

9 minutes ago, m0e said:

Thanks for all the content around the youngsters, mate.

It's been a pleasure reading these all season, and I've genuinely enjoyed being kept in the loop.

No problem - Many thanks for enjoying the stuff that I post.

If time allows next season, I'll look at starting another loan watch thread for the next batch of youngsters/fringe players that we ship out on loan.

I'll also try to collate stats for the 18s and 23s to make it easier for folk to see who is doing what for the youth sides, rather than them having to go hunting around various sites that may not be quite as accurate as folk would want.

I might take a back seat with in-game posts as @alles ist gut does a fantastic job and is that touch quicker to post than I am.

• Upvote 6

On 01/06/2021 at 01:37, Dynamite said:

No problem - Many thanks for enjoying the stuff that I post.

If time allows next season, I'll look at starting another loan watch thread for the next batch of youngsters/fringe players that we ship out on loan.

I'll also try to collate stats for the 18s and 23s to make it easier for folk to see who is doing what for the youth sides, rather than them having to go hunting around various sites that may not be quite as accurate as folk would want.

I might take a back seat with in-game posts as @alles ist gut does a fantastic job and is that touch quicker to post than I am.

If possible, I’d like a prediction thread on who you think most likely to make it with us or with another PL teams. I think that’d be real good. There’s very little hype about our youth players at the moment.

9 minutes ago, aRdja said:

If possible, I’d like a prediction thread on who you think most likely to make it with us or with another PL teams. I think that’d be real good. There’s very little hype about our youth players at the moment.

Might do a "ones to watch" type thread, and ask regular contributors to this thread to suggest players to be tracked based on their opinions of the brightest talents in the youth system. Maybe 2 or 3 picks from each of the 18s and 23s squads.

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We paid a decent fee for that Kaide Gordon kid. I imagine he's earmarked for the first team at some point.

That we did, and that he is. He'd certainly been training with the first team in the latter stages of the season and had been given a push up into the 23s for a few games too.

I fully expect Kaide to be a regular starter for the 23s next season, primarily playing on the right wing/right of a 3 up top, cutting in on his left foot. I think being part of the first-team squad for a League Cup game will be a major target for him too.

3 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

I fully expect Kaide to be a regular starter for the 23s next season, primarily playing on the right wing/right of a 3 up top, cutting in on his left foot. I think being part of the first-team squad for a League Cup game will be a major target for him too.

Is he quite similar to Elliott? Be weird to have two of our best young players be right sided, left footed attackers.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Is he quite similar to Elliott? Be weird to have two of our best young players be right sided, left footed attackers.

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

Elliott seems more like a midfielder than attacker doesn’t he?

59 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Possibly. He's played on the right for us and Blackburn thus far though, I think. 

While they play in the same position, they play it differently. Harvey is also a good couple of years more developed than Kaide.

For the sake of simplicity, Kaide Gordon is a wide forward, where Harvey is more of a wide playmaker. Kaide is considerably quicker than Harvey, but Harvey is much the better footballer.

Can easily see Harvey becoming more of a classic 10 in years to come, while Kaide will always be a wide forward.

You may have already seen it, but our Premier League retained list was confirmed earlier.

A few of the 23s squad being released, in all fairness they were just filler for the 23s, or had been set back by a number of injuries.

Joe Hardy and Jack Walls were obvious candidates for release and will leave once their contracts expire - For Jack, this will be the second time we've let him go...

Liam Coyle and Abdi Sharif are also being released, which is a shame, as both lads are real grafters - Both have suffered with injuries over the past season or two, so that will have played a factor in the decision to let them go.

Interestingly though, according to the article on the offal (see below), we've offered new deals to Remi Savage and Yasser Larouci.

Yasser has barely made an appearance for the 23s this past season and had obviously been expected to leave last Summer with a number of clubs allegedly interested in the young Frenchman. Could well just be a contract to protect his value as the club still look to move him on.

As for Remi, I suspect that his new deal is a depth move for the 23s. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he were to be released next summer as the players coming up from the 18s start to take up Remi's game time. Remi seems like a decent lad, but he's never going to make it with us.

Offal article

Liverpool FC’s Premier League retained list has been released, confirming the departure of four Academy players after the 2020-21 season.

Liam Coyle, Joe Hardy, Abdi Sharif and Jack Walls are set to leave the Reds upon the expiry of their contracts this summer.

Everybody at the club thanks Liam, Joe, Abdi and Jack for their contributions and wishes them the best of luck in their future careers.

Contract offers have been made to Yasser Larouci and Remi Savage at the Academy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/06/2021 at 14:30, Dynamite said:

You may have already seen it, but our Premier League retained list was confirmed earlier.

A few of the 23s squad being released, in all fairness they were just filler for the 23s, or had been set back by a number of injuries.

Joe Hardy and Jack Walls were obvious candidates for release and will leave once their contracts expire - For Jack, this will be the second time we've let him go...

Liam Coyle and Abdi Sharif are also being released, which is a shame, as both lads are real grafters - Both have suffered with injuries over the past season or two, so that will have played a factor in the decision to let them go.

Interestingly though, according to the article on the offal (see below), we've offered new deals to Remi Savage and Yasser Larouci.

Yasser has barely made an appearance for the 23s this past season and had obviously been expected to leave last Summer with a number of clubs allegedly interested in the young Frenchman. Could well just be a contract to protect his value as the club still look to move him on.

As for Remi, I suspect that his new deal is a depth move for the 23s. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he were to be released next summer as the players coming up from the 18s start to take up Remi's game time. Remi seems like a decent lad, but he's never going to make it with us.

Offal article

Liverpool FC’s Premier League retained list has been released, confirming the departure of four Academy players after the 2020-21 season.

Liam Coyle, Joe Hardy, Abdi Sharif and Jack Walls are set to leave the Reds upon the expiry of their contracts this summer.

Everybody at the club thanks Liam, Joe, Abdi and Jack for their contributions and wishes them the best of luck in their future careers.

Contract offers have been made to Yasser Larouci and Remi Savage at the Academy.

So, it appears that both Larouci and Savage turned down the contract offers provided and are now both expected to leave the club over the Summer.

Also looks like Ethan Ennis will be off too, though perhaps not to the Mancs as was initially thought. There are some pictures from his social media that have him down in Cobham, so a move to Chelsea may well be on the cards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...