You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Youth Team/Cup

old skool tom

Villa deserve to be in front - We've not got going at all.

Losing the midfield battle. Corness having a very quiet game and Stephenson is being drawn all over the place.

Most of these Villa players play at the 23s level, so they do have an advantage in that regard.

Pretty much men against boys. They are very good, comparatively, going forwards and we’ve been hanging on defending against them.

We haven’t put them under too much pressure but they look suspect at the back, if we could get one back it might make things interesting.

Don’t like the referee much, seems like he’s a real “ homer “.

50 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

Every time I see Koumetio play I'm shocked that he was considered 5th choice centre back in the summer. 

He looks a million miles away from first team level. 

He makes 2 to 3 mistakes every game I've seen him in. He has real donkey vibes.

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I always thought this was over two legs

If its not why the fuck was it held at Villa's ground

Changed a few seasons back to just a single game - The last time we won it in fact. Away at City that night.

It should be at a neutral venue when playing a single leg, but since the FA reverted away from the 2 legged final, they've decided that they'll have a draw for the final to see who will host the final.

Gave a much better account of themselves in the second half, which is all you can really ask. 

Whilst I'm sure Aston Villa fans are rightly made up to win it and think they are going to win the league in 5 years time, the reality is that it wouldn't be surprising if half of the players on show tonight fail to make it as professionals. 

I've mentioned in this thread before that I feel for young defenders coming through, as they are not being taught how to defend properly. All the focus in Academy and Youth level coaching is to play out from the back and trying to play perfect football.

Tactical awareness and game management seem to be a little way down the list in terms of player development for younger age groups.

Despite the result tonight, they are a good group in the 18s and I hope that losing out on the trophy lights a fire in them to go one better next season.

20 minutes ago, John102 said:

Gave a much better account of themselves in the second half, which is all you can really ask. 

Whilst I'm sure Aston Villa fans are rightly made up to win it and think they are going to win the league in 5 years time, the reality is that it wouldn't be surprising if half of the players on show tonight fail to make it as professionals. 

Most of those Villa players won't be there in a couple of seasons. Louie Barry and Carney Chukwuemeka will be snapped up by one of the big boys.

How Louie Barry ended up at Villa was a little controversial. Barry started out at West Brom initially before being pinched away by Barcelona - During his time with West Brom, Villa had been trying to poach him themselves. West Brom claimed that Barcelona never paid the full compensation for the lad when they signed him.

Just 6 months after signing for Barcelona he got homesick, and Villa were able to strike a deal with them to sign Barry paying less than they would have needed to have done had they gone through a tribunal here if they took him directly from West Brom.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, John102 said:

In Villa's last win in the tournament, the player on the field who had the best career was wearing a blue shirt...

Anyway, hopefully next year we'll be healthier as a group, and even if not every eligible player plays in it (Gordon will be at a higher level, and hopefully Balagizi too) we should have a decent team.

• Upvote 1

Good game that, a little unfair for our skinny little lads in midfield against bigger fellas with home fans behind them. That's one for the shitness of modern football, a final and one team is at home. That's just shit.

Based on that game alone only the little Polish Messi has any future at LFC, the rest aren't good enough. Villa have some good players, the right back is good and Carney chuckawenka is a certainty to have a PL career.

Oh and the ref was a shit house cunt, should have booked their lad after 30 seconds, set the tone from there the cunt.

1 hour ago, Dynamite said:

Most of those Villa players won't be there in a couple of seasons. Louie Barry and Carney Chukwuemeke will be snapped up by one of the big boys.

Yeah, i think about 5 or 6 of the team they had tonight have been brought in from elsewhere. Good recruitment from Villa but you would expect someone else to come along at some point and take the best ones, in the same manner as they did themselves.

2 minutes ago, John102 said:

Yeah, i think about 5 or 6 of the team they had tonight have been brought in from elsewhere. Good recruitment from Villa but you would expect someone else to come along at some point and take the best ones, in the same manner as they did themselves.

7 of our 11 at the clubs since under 9s.