You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Youth Team/Cup

old skool tom

Full time - Liverpool 4 Arsenal 0

An excellent collective performance with plenty of really good individual performances from Woodburn, Morton, Bradley, Cain and Stewart.

The whole team deserve a lot of credit today. Worked so well for each other throughout. Kept the defensive side of things simple, doubling up when needed and looked to move the ball forward a little more directly.

The pressing at the other end of the pitch was very impressive too. I lost count of the number of times we forced Arsenal into errors and we took full advantage of the mistakes they made with some slick passing and clinical finishing. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DaveT said:

Terrific performance. So much more enjoyable than the crooked shambolic Premier league. Billy the Kid looked so much better for just keeping it simple.

Yes. Best performance of the season from the 23s today. No brain farts, no over playing or trying to take too many unnecessary risks.

I know academies and coaches like youngsters to feel comfortable on the ball and encourage playing out from the back and taking more risks, but for me, you don't do this until you've established sound fundamentals. Learn how to read the game better, know when you can or cannot take an extra touch or play a riskier pass.

Quickness of mind is just as important as quickness of foot, in fact, even more so, in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

The 23s take on West Ham at The Academy on Saturday afternoon. Kick off at 16:00 with live coverage on the offal from 15:55.

Team news will be posted once it's available.

Also, a date for your calendars - Tuesday 16th March.

The 18s host Sutton United in the FA Youth Cup 3rd round at The Academy. Kick off at 19:00, with live coverage on the offal from 18:45.

• Upvote 2

But in the meantime, our Under-18s take on Newcastle United at their academy (2 p.m., no live coverage, as ever at their hilltop redoubt.)

Mrozek; Mabaya, Norris, Quansah, Jonas, Stephenson, Corness, Balagizi, Woltman, Musialowski, Ennis.

Subs : Kelly, Chambers, McConnell.

Stronger team than I expected; the Youth Cup is always the top priority as far as competitions go for the current academy.