You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Youth Team/Cup

old skool tom

4 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

Questions to the 2 top experts we have here on young guns.

Who we might see playing in Copenhague Wednesday?

Good question. I reckon Kelleher, Tsimikas, Williams x 2, Keita, Mini and Origi play  but who fills the gaps? 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

Questions to the 2 top experts we have here on young guns.

Who we might see playing in Copenhague Wednesday?

I think we might see some Leighton Clarkson in the middle if none of the currently injured midfielders are ready to travel; I expect Tsimikas at left back but I’d like to see James Norris on the bench; hopefully some of Liam Miller, Layton Stewart and Luis Longstaff will be involved up front rather than Origi.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, dave u said:

Wrap Jones and Neco in cotton wool as we need them.

Just send the 23s to fill in the gaps and if more bodies are needed then raid the u18s too. 

Kostas, Div, Taki, Naby if he's fit, and that's basically all the senior lads I'd send.

Agree about Jones but if Trent is fit I'd play Neco as he needs game- time. The rest of the season on the bench isn't going to do him any favours and Milner will surely be fit soon to cover at RB if necessary. 

27 minutes ago, dave u said:

Wrap Jones and Neco in cotton wool as we need them.

Just send the 23s to fill in the gaps and if more bodies are needed then raid the u18s too. 

Kostas, Div, Taki, Naby if he's fit, and that's basically all the senior lads I'd send.

Agree with that, Boss

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty certain we'll see Jake Cain make his Champions League debut. Leighton Clarkson has to be in with a shout too.

I'd like to see Conor Bradley and Jack Bearne in the squad, so long as they are fit to play - Jack has missed the last couple of games for the 23s.

Owen Beck and/or James Norris are the most likely candidates to play backup to Kostas - It'll be interesting to see if Norris starts for the 18s tomorrow. Larouci is another option at left back, though I'm not sure how things are working for young Yasser. Been on the bench for the 23s a few times this season, but has hardly seen any playing time.

Would expect van den Berg to travel, along with Koumetio as options at centre back.

I'd go with a few experienced heads to start the game, with a view to replacing them in the second half.

Kelleher, Trent*, Rhys Williams, Fabinho*, Tsimikas; Henderson*, Cain, Keita; Millar, Origi, Taki.

*45 minutes each

Neco, Koumetio/van den Berg & Clarkson on in the second half - Ideally Milner would be available to provide the experience in the second half in place of Hendo.

(If Shaqiri was fit enough, I'd have him start on the right in a front 3 with Taki central and Millar to the left).

A player may be registered on List B if he is born on or after 1 January 1999 and has been eligible to play for the club concerned for any uninterrupted period of two years since his 15th birthday by the time he is registered with UEFA. Players aged 16 may be registered on List B if they have been registered with the participating club for the previous two years without interruption.

Neither van den Berg nor Bradley are eligible for List B, as shown by that quote from the UEFA regulations; both joined in June 2019, which, despite how it feels, was still last year.

I'm very much in agreement with the idea of having the right sort of first-team players along to provide leadership, which is why I wouldn't have Origi or Keita within 500 miles of the game.

1 hour ago, alles ist gut said:

Neither van den Berg nor Bradley are eligible for List B, as shown by that quote from the UEFA regulations; both joined in June 2019, which, despite how it feels, was still last year.

I'm very much in agreement with the idea of having the right sort of first-team players along to provide leadership, which is why I wouldn't have Origi or Keita within 500 miles of the game.

Ta. I thought Conor joined prior to the cut-off. Turns out he joined in September of 2019...! Totally forgot that vdB hadn't been with us for long enough.

It'll have to be Neco and Trent covering the right back position then, as no one else from the 18s/23s is anywhere near ready to step up, other than Conor.