You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Youth Team/Cup

old skool tom

The side put out against Wigan had 2 changes from the 23's side that started in the defeat to Derby, Kelleher in for Jaros, and Sharif in for Bradley. There were a couple of lads from the 18s on the bench tonight, Balagizi and Quansah.

Kelleher playing tonight confirms to me that Adrian will be between the posts at Lincoln on Thursday.

Sharif is not long back from a long term injury, so needed the game time.

The absence of Rhys Williams in the game against Derby and tonight against Wigan is intriguing to me. I'm sure I heard Steve Hunter mention that Rhys was up training with the first team which is why he missed the game against Derby.

Rhys had a pretty successful loan spell at Kidderminster last season, and for me, would be a better option to play against Lincoln than Koumetio and/or Van Den Berg.

• Upvote 3

Offal Report

Liverpool U21s suffered a 6-1 defeat away at Wigan Athletic in their EFL Trophy opener on Tuesday night.

Leighton Clarkson had given the young Reds a one-goal lead prior to half-time before their League One opposition went on to stage a second-half comeback. 

Goals from Kal Naismith, Joe Garner and braces from Charlie Jolley and Ollie Crankshaw ultimately secured the three points for the hosts. 

Liverpool will look to respond in their next Northern Group D fixture when they travel to Tranmere Rovers next Tuesday.  

Surviving an early scare as Wigan hit the post, Barry Lewtas' charges took control of the first-half proceedings. 

Jack Bearne and Liam Millar went close to opening the scoring during the first period before the deserved opener finally arrived in the 44th minute. 

Good play from Millar on the left saw him put the ball across the face of goal, with Clarkson arriving at the back post at the right moment to convert.

But Wigan returned from the interval rejuvenated and turned the contest around completely by the hour mark. 

It was level moments after the restart when substitute Naismith rose highest on a corner before he then turned provider by supplying the cross for Jolley's header.

They added a third six minutes later when Tom Clayton headed a lofted ball over the onrushing Kelleher, allowing Jolley to tap into an empty net.

And to complete the game's scoring, Crankshaw netted with a drilled finish and header, with a Garner penalty sandwiched in between.

Liverpool U21s: Kelleher, Sharif, Savage, Clayton, Beck, Cain (Balagizi, 84), Clarkson, Woodburn, Bearne (Dixon-Bonner, 64), Longstaff (O’Rourke, 84), Millar. 

Unused substitutes: Jaros, Quansah, Bradley.